Classic/old kits values

Frank Day

It may be "how long is a piece of string" or as much as anyone is prepared to pay at any particular time.

I have a 43" Cambria P51 Fun  Fighter kit. Has been stored in house office for years, box and contents are pretty much perfect. I understand that the P51 & the Me 109 were the better versions in the series?

I'm thinking of selling but not 100% and thought about building and adding non essentials like a throttle if you read the manual ! I would rather keep it for some future time than let it go for peanuts.

Anyone more familiar with these kits and values?

I have the Cambrian Spitfire kit still untouched. It the ic version . I think the value will be about the same as the currently available electric version provided the wing veneer is still intact. I am like you thinking thst I may build it and fly it at some point. So not bothered about selling it. 

I regularly see old kits go for stupidly high prices on the internet but guess that's a mixture or supply and demand and greed; plus the scarcity of similar kits and the currently

eye-watering high prices of the ARTF models and finishing materials.

At the end of the day it's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Go on build it , you know you want to ?.

The Cambrian funfighter kits are still available so they aren't going to realise the second hand market value of discontinued kits, such as the Flair Scout series which sell now for more than what they cost ten-fifteen years ago - sometimes more than £200 for an unstarted Puppeteer or SE5a.

IIRC the Cambrian funfighter  kits were £75-£85 new, they are about that now and the old kits pop up on ebay for about the same sort of price as the new ones., maybe a little less. Brilliant models - I'm thinking of using the plan to build a lighter weight fuselage for my Bf109E, without the chunky ply doublers, to use on the slope, where my existing model is marginal.

I think i'll probably keep it, it looks a simple quick build but I will end up making it heavier.  100% it will end up with landing gear etc.

There is some visible delamination of the wings but im not about to open the wing "sandwich" to find out how much unless I've cleared the decks to build it.

As well as the doublers there are some seriously chunk lumps of balsa that could be hollowed out to save a gram or two. Depron fuss?

For the slope I'll stick to balsa, but being able to lose those heavy ply fuselage doublers and firewall will save some weight for sure. I have the Spitfire built specifically for the slope and it's a full 8oz lighter than my original IC powered version of the Spitfire, which gives a wing loading of 15oz/sq ft vs 18 oz.sq ft and is a noticeably better flyer on the slope.

Generally most builders don't build using old kits. Mainly due to their age related condition. What they do though is copy all the parts in the kit and build from those, incorporating modern improvements and materials because they are "model builders". It is the "box collectors" who pay silly money. Particularly for no longer available models.

I currently have some for sale (at silly prices !) for that very reason. Though if somebody wanted to build one of them I could help out with laser cut and vacuum formed parts at a lot lower price.