Scottish Aviation Pioneer

Peter  Wood

As soon as I saw the plan for the Pioneer on The January issue of RCME I had to build one. I haven't built from a plan for about ten years and had forgotten the intellectual satisfaction of working out some of the build details for oneself instead of the painting by numbers approach of ARTF's.
However, I would appreciate some help on making the cowl. The designer made the original on a metal lathe, not a tool that many modellers own. Are there any commercial items which might fit?
Finally a list of materials would have been helpful to avoid having to make 40 mile round trips to the model shop just for a sheet of 3/32'' balsa.

Hi I felt exactly the same way when I seen the plan too!

THe cowl was something that puzzled me too, I ended up making those front and back rings with my router. It took a while with many operations involved. The Outside taper I did by inserting a plywood plate in the inside diameter of it tacked it in with CA, then inserted a 6mm bolt in the centre of the plate and placed in the chuck of my drill press and kind of turned it with and ordinary wood chisel followed by smoothing with sandpaper. Please see the picture link at the bottom of this post.

My Pioneer has come along very well and I am Really pleased with the Free Plan for this. This is my first scale build and I am really enjoying it

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b246/garryhallam/P1010828-1.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion and the picture. You have done a great job of the cowl. I do have a router (full size) and a drill press so will give some thought to doing the job the way you describe.
The picture is also helpful to see some of the cabin structure bare. I am about two nights behind you!
Any ideas on finishing? Chris Reid did a fantastic job with Solaspan but it must have been very fiddly with all those slots and I wonder how long before the edges start to lift. I was thinking of glass and spray paint.

Hi again

Yes the router method as you can see does work, albeit lots of work! "Where there's a will" as they say!

I have the wings and ailerons complete also, as well as the wing struts.

My next stage is the flaps and slats and then cabin detail.

As for covering I also thought about glassing but have no experience of this whatsoever so need to research this. Maybe you might be able to point me in the right direction?

garry

• 2 weeks later...
The wing struts attach to the fusalage at the point where the lower triangular stiffeners are positioned, as on the plan. You need to find a central area of the Triangle where the nut & washer are clear of the former and longeron. Externally, this will be in the bottom front corner area of the Ply door. Hope this helps.

As for the cowling attaching to the Fusalage, it is actually centralised at the front where it fits over the Engine front bearing housing. It is then attacheched at the back via brackets that are screwed into the engine mount. On mine, I also routed a circular external boss into the blocks that extend into the engine cowl area, then I centralized it with F1 Before glueing and shaping. The inside diameter of the back cowl ring then fits snugly and centralised. this acts to cenralise it at both the front and rear.
This was my approach anyway and worked for me!

The back cowl area could also be attached and centralised just with the brackets, and this appears to be the way Chris Read made his as far as I can see.

I will try to post Photo's to show this more clearly

Can anyone explain the function of those slots on the tailplane? I surmise that they are intended to prevent the tailplane stalling ie increasing up elevator will give more adverse camber to give more down force on the tailplane. If this is so then it will be the underside of the tailplane which 'stalls'. In which case should the slots be angled downwards to help maintain airflow over the underside of the tailplane. How are they configured on the full size plane?

I was wondering about those slots too!

I actually jumped the Gun and built the tail before the second installment of instructions. I made it to drawing - which shows only a straight slot. Consequently I made it as such, so I now need to remake it.

Regarding the funtionality:
Is it maybe something to do with the Aircraft being a STOL type Craft, being capable of steep take offs. Only a wild Guess on my part. But I would sure like to know!

HI all.
I'm Patrick From Malta. I'm build the Pioneer to. But I make it 20% bigger from the Plan. it cames 71inc wingspan. The cowl I make it from fiber glass and under it I put a Saito 72. invertid. Now I working on the flaps, wish to make them work like the full size, but it is a bit hasel. If need any info contact me [email protected]

Garry - I am a long way behind you. Wing top sheeting to be applied. Tail group to be sanded and slot issue to be resolved. Fuselage to be sanded before building cabin. Struts and shock absorbers to build. Cowl?????? Long way to go yet. However will take a photo in a few days when I should have made more progress

Hi all, I'm glad to see so many of you are having fun with my Pioneer, and working out the problems pretty well, as all good builders do. I cheated a bit with my cowl by using a lathe, but I couldn't be bothered with a GRP buck and mould for a one off. If I had, I could be selling copies to you. I think you could make a cowl by fretting out the front and rear discs of balsa with a fret or scroll saw and sanding carefully - perhaps spinning the discs in an electric drill - before joining them with the 0.3mm ply.

Ref the tailplane slots. The real aircraft tailplane has an inverted Clark Y type airfoil section to generate very large down forces. It also had electric trim of the whole surface from +3 to -5 degrees if I recall. I cheated and made a flat plate with a simple slot similar to the wing leading edge form. It flies fine.

Have fun, and if you have a problem I'll help if I can. Bear in mind though that I built my Pioneer almost two years ago as RCME took some time printing the plan after submission.