Clouds

I'm not a member of that cloud appreciation society (or whatever it's called) but I do like clouds and, like me, if you fly often enough you soon start spotting unusual formations. I thought I'd start a thread so folks can share pics of their favourite cloud photos.

I took this one on Wed night from our flying patch. It was just about showing all the colours of the rainbow vertically, except there was no rainbow, or at least none I could see, the photo doesn't do it justice.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME moderator on 04/06/2009 08:03:58

Any water droplets in the right density and location, as well as high altitude ice crystals can give the rainbow effect. Somewhere, like Peter, I have a halo photo too.

This morning T'was Jet aircraft that mucked up a nice blue sky and covered a fair bit of the sky, with contrail induced cloud. I took some pics but as yet have not managed to put any pic's IN a post.

Nice shots there David.

Hi Phil, not flying, just helping out a friend who's native language isn't English who wanted to go to Le Touquet but not with an instructor so I got the opportunity to sit in the right hand seat and enjoy the view. She didn't really need me at all so I spent two hours with the camera. I've seen some amazing clouds in my short flying career but usually no opportunity to take photographs. That particular day was awesome. The cumulus was forming over land on both sides of the channel but the channel itself was as clear as could be as seen in the second photograph. It doesn't really show in the first picture but to the right there was a wall of cloud, to the left clear blue skies. The thing the photographs do not show is just how dynamic the formations were, quite a sight.

Here is another of what it was like when we were under the formation in the second picture,

One of the things that keeps me hooked on flying is being in the weather rather than just under the weather it's always different every time.