Clouds

Well, Well! I live in New Street which, as you will know is that country lane that forms the loop, New Street, Plum Street, Shepherds lane.

Three houses in the lane, mine is the first of the two semidetached cottages with the bungalow beyond.

I have lived here since 63.

Edited By Peter Miller on 11/06/2009 18:38:42

Just up Stephen, dog wanted out, we get some dramatic sky's up here, sunsets and even the Aura Borealis, we even get clouds going in different directions hard to photograph each layer separated by  a few hundred feet, but going in opposite directions, its magical 

Well well Peter amazing indeed! You may have seen a little Gemma racing past you on a bicycle wishing it had wings many years ago! I lived both at the top of Brook Street then later at Orchard Way at the top of Skates Hill. That is where I remember the huge sunsets from which your pictures immediately reminded me of. Utterly bizarre they are actually the very sunsets I remember so well.

Can't place the track or the trees Peter, though they did look strangely familiar when I first saw the photograph. I moved out of the village around 23 years ago to make my fortune in London. Having failed to make a fortune, I moved out to Essex and often wonder why I ever left in the first place. Still drop by now and again to check it is still there and occasionally from the air. I made a triumphant detour over the village on my qualifying cross country, it was just off the track of my last leg, Norwich to Andrewsfield. My favourite place is along the river up to the weir and the fishing pits, spent a lot of my childhood there.

Hey Peter, you've been there long enough to remember when Lightnings were at Wattisham and often overflew the village? Then the Phantoms, then the A10 Thunderbolts from Bentwaters?

Edited By Gemma Fairchild on 12/06/2009 14:40:31

We moved here when my father died. My mother wanted to set up a boarding kennels. I was at Wattisham on Javelins at the time so found this place in my time off. I was on 41 Sqdn. We also had 111 and 74 squadron with LIghtnings.

I know where the fishing pits are but never been down there. One of my jobs was at BBA, around the time you left. That was surrounded by the river and channels.

One of our flying sites is at Richard Teverson's strip at Belchamp Walter. You may remember seeing his Tiger Moth as a regular sight around the village. He is an incredible home builder.

You mentioned St Andrews Field. When I lived near Great Dunmow (Bran End) we flew on the airfield and also on Easton Lodge. I remember picking up live .5 machine gun cartridges all over Andrews Fioeld (Known as Saling airfield then.