Seagull 40 Low Wing Trainer

The DX manual says 'Using servo tape, mount the remote receiver keeping the remote antennas at least 2” away from the primary antenna. Ideally, the antennas will be oriented perpendicularly to each other, however, we’ve found this to not be critical. In airplanes, we’ve found it best to mount the primary receiver in the center of the fuselage on the servo tray and to mount the remote receiver to the side of the fuselage or in the turtle deck.' and shows the main RX like Stephen's and the remote one on the side of the fuselage.

I've had great success with electric models with the RXs fixed like Simon's.

However, it wouldn't hurt to cut free the remote RX free and tack it to the side of the fuselage and try again.

If that doesn't work, take both RXs out of the model and test with another battery and a spare servo and see how it works then.

And really, I'd still cut that spare servo arm off and tidy the wires up.

The rcvr positioning is OK, but I would personally move the satellite rx up against the side wall of the fus, so it lays along the length of the fus side, with the actual unit upright IYSWIM
This will give a clearer signal path, and also move the aerials away from all those metal pushrods!
One more suggestion, if you could get the main Rx up as high as possible then it would help to ensure that the mass of the motor is not screening it.

Ive trimmed the servo arm and moved the wiring.Ive placed the main receiver high up above the servos,realising of course Imworking from the bottom whereas with high wing trainers you work from the top.Ive also placed the satellite receiver at the side of the fuselage.Im using a different receiver,but when I range checked the previous receiver  placed outside the model it appeared to work satisfactorily.Ill send it for a health just to be sure tomorrow

To the field today and the range check as A OK.Checked the Cof G tail heavy.Used stick onwheel weights,added 120grams,Instructor took off ,awful.Managed to land in 5 feet nettles no damage.The ailerons for some reason were out and there was to much up on the elevator.re adjusted these problems and the 2nd flight was perfect and I had a very enjoyable flight.Had my instructor land so I could note his landing for when I do it myself

just caught it,

just landed

Hi Kelvin.As you correctly say my instructor has set the controls suitably for me and Ill fly with him until Im confident in myself.You straight away notice a much more difficult a low wing is to see compared to a high wing.I observed his landing and was pleased to see it came in slow and stable.

I was surprised at how little adjustment was needed to make a vitually uncontrollable model become very controllable.Showed me hoe careful you have to be to ensure everything isas near correct as is possible.It also endorses how important experienced club members are to newbies at flying and what good work they do for the club

Good to see pics of its maiden flight. They are itching me ever closer to this model being my second.

Just a couple of questions. Is 120grams a lot because to me that seems a lot?

Also, i did think to start off with, before you posted again reference the ailerons. Can an instructor not visually see that they are out before flying? I would assume experience would lead them to be able to see this visually.

These are just questions from a learning point of view and not intended to be picky.

Looks a lovely model Stephen.

It is a lovely model Ross and you are right, yuo would expect to see any discepancy before flying the model.That is what surprised us it looked fine before take off so we were surprised to see them out when landed.I have to say I always take my time to mechanically adjust everything before I go to the field so it only needs fine tuning when Im there.The only thing I can think of is  I had to change receivers ,I used one that I removed from a Tiger Moth,and used the Tiger Moth channel as I didnt have to bind again.The slight change may have been the trimming needed for thr Moth to fly hands off, and were wrong for this model; and didnt sjhow up until flown.The OS46LA is a light engine so 120 grams isnt a lot in this instance.I did ask the same question as you and that is the answer I was given

It is a lovely model Ross and you are right, yuo would expect to see any discepancy before flying the model.That is what surprised us it looked fine before take off so we were surprised to see them out when landed.I have to say I always take my time to mechanically adjust everything before I go to the field so it only needs fine tuning when Im there.The only thing I can think of is  I had to change receivers ,I used one that I removed from a Tiger Moth,and used the Tiger Moth channel as I didnt have to bind again.The slight change may have been the trimming needed for thr Moth to fly hands off, and were wrong for this model; and didnt sjhow up until flown.The OS46LA is a light engine so 120 grams isnt a lot in this instance.I did ask the same question as you and that is the answer I was given

To the field tonight with a new Spectrum DX7 Already bound the models and noticed the new one connects to the model a lot quicker.Flew the Scorpion twice and the new controller feels a lot smoother.Now my first take off with the Seagull 40.A few spots of rain but I carried on getting ready.Ready to start and the prop anscrewed and flew off.Collected all the bits,little akward to re fit but got there in the end.Prop flew off again.Careful inspection revealed the rear part of the alloy spinner had worn in the centre where thebrass insert that determines the spinner prop shaft hole size wasnt seating properly because the hole had worn oblong and created a shoulder so the insert no longer fitted.Get home ,grab 2 new spinners,tiny so Ive fitted the plastic one that comes with the kit.

Thanks Kelvin it looks fine as you say.Difficult day at the field,kept carrying in and out. but it kept raining. Ready,no Ive left my controller on and the battery is flat!Saved by my instructor who has a spare.He takes off and re trims to the new controller just purchased.Hands it to me,bit windy And Im a bit nervous,or more aprehensive.He disappears,I have a good fly around and he appears and lands the model.It starts to rain again and I find an aileron has become detached.I hasten to add the fault was not by something suppliied  with the kit.Im changing them tonight.I feel Ive had a bit of a lucky escape.Considering the conditions it flew very well.I look forward to getting the confidence to take off and landing it but Ill take my time

• 2 weeks later...
Ive had a couple more flights and when I have a windless period Ill do a take off.Feel fairly confident about it as flying it hasnt shown any vices so far.Im also looking for good light so I can see it clearly.Did go to the strip tonight ,flew Scorpion and Mentor, but didnt feel the light was good enough

To the flying field after work,very busy day for once,things are beginning to happen at last(fingers crossed).Decided a lovely evening and time tofor my first take off and landing of the Seagull 40.Put the model together,carried it to the field.Suddenly decided,Id left the controller at home.This is because I have a number of projects on the go at present.Put the model back in the car.Went for a walk.Realised I hadnt done anything last night to require the controller.Back to the car,controller ready for action,back to the field.Model ready for take off,BUT am I. Full throttle and perfect take off.Flew for 8 minutes,decided to try a landing.Carried out a couple of slow approaches ,satisfied and ready.Came in a little faster than necessary and a bit of a heavy landing.Straightened front wheel a bit.Take off number 2 excellant, no problems at all.10 minute flight.Few loops and rolls,and other things  as well. Then did some slow approaches.Amazing how slow this model can fly with no adverse handling.Very impressive.Came in a lot slower and a perfect landing.Love this model,and a very happy ending to the day.Roll on tomorrow