Seagull 40 Low Wing Trainer

I have found that it is best for me to go round and do circuits with low fly bys, touch and goes /attempts at landing right from take off. No point getting to the end of a tank to find your struggling with landing or a dead stick. I have since progressed alittle but after a few weeks away ( weather related) i still go and practice the landing approaches etc to get back into it. Getting better and even have had compliments on the landing now...just need to get the flying bit a little smoother.

Yes Kelvin,they know what they are doing and hook you at an early stage.After all the hype about tip stalling a low winger,Im surprised how slow the 40 will fly and still be stableI dont want to be lulled into a false sense of security,slow will fly the Super Air on the same day and compare notes,hope to finish the repair work this evening

The first flight today was the MPX Mentor which is lovelyIts very acrobatic and very responsive and has bundles of power.I then flew the Seagull 40 which after the Mentor was actually easier to fly.Its far more responsive than the Boomerang but can still fly very slowly.Ive been experimenting with the slow speeds to get a full understanding of the approach speed for landing.Both landings today were peaches.Whilst doing this slow flying a club membercame and told me I was flying to slowly.I tried to explain what I was upto,but it was easier to fly faster until he went away!.Alittle worrying was after 10 minutes and wanting to land a couple od glider guys were messing on the strip with a tow.As soon as they took off I shouted landing to see someone else position to take off.I shouted landing to no avail,when he took off the tug guy shouted landing and came in before me and plonked the tug at the far end of the strip updide down.Fortunately someone else cleared it I made a perfect landing even taxiing back to the pit entrance next to me for the first time.Id flown for 15 minutes,,Very pleasing model,ideal 1st low winger

It looks like it's all coming together Stephen.  Sounds like you're doing really well now and from what I've read on here, you're certainly dedicated to the sport and now you're getting your rewards.  All I want to know though is how you're managing to get all those trips to the field

Dave Clifford and myself have had tons of flying in this 'Summer'.  Yes, tons.  We've mostly managed that by flying our Formosas, PZ Corsair, E-Flite Taylorcraft and E-Flite MUSs at the sports field that's a five minute walk away.  However, they've we went down last night and they've already re-erected the goal posts.  What ?  It's only August 6th !

• 2 weeks later...
Had a bit of a Whoopsy tonight.Id been doing approaches,touch and goes and landings.A bit windy but everything was fine until my 4th and final landing.Brougfht it in to slow and it stalled and threw itself to the ground.The wings flew off and it lay there looking very sad.The only damage was to the fuselage which had come apart at the seams.Epoxied it together,covered the base and its ready to go tomorrow,whoopeeFor an ARTF it survived very well,good ol  Seagull

Been flying the Seagull 40 for the last couple of evenings and all has been excellant.Had a couple of problems with the Os 46 LA today.Firstly I removed the needle valve ,put my finger over the carb and blew down the throttle tube.Fuel flowed out of the needle valve aperture and the engine ran a lot better but I wasnt getting full throttle.Adjusted the linkeage for the throttle at the servo and it flew much fasterand superbly.The only fault I have found is the usual thing,thats the front wheel bending.on landing.A quick bend back sorts it out however so its no big dramaThoroughly enjoyable model to fly

Ive had a good couple of weeks business wise speaking,so Ive done the following.Firstly Ive inspected the fuselage and the damage is worse than it looks.Itlande in the middle of long grass.The problem is thet it landed on a rock hard patch with no grass on it.It snapped the tail clean off.As I stripped the covering off more broken balsa was appearing.The repair is fairly straight foward,Im replacing the fuselage,followed by the wings ,stabiliser,and rudder.I need to get down to the engine problem,one minute its perfect,next its deadstick.Im going to use another engine for the time being.Ive done a great deal on all I need from Galaxy,and whilst at it,purchased a Saito 40 4 stroke for my next kit build,a Ben Buckle Red Zephyr.The priority will be to get the Seagull 40 back in the air.Its a great model and is teaching me loads.I removed the tank just now and suspicious I may have found the problem.Last night I replaced the tube on the clunk.I reckon it was to long.I had a deadstick when upside down I reckon the clunk was stuck

A pleasant evening"repairing the 40.The first thing I noted was when I removed the engine the engine mount had sagged,so I replaced it on the new fuz

this is the reason for the replacement fuz

New and old together

The hardware

The tank goes in,spent a lot of time making sure the clunk was just right

Tank retaining plate and battery in place

Engine is in

Tail and fin in place

The insides all done

And here it is ready for the novice acrobatic competition on Sunday

It has the original wings which means its a repair,just have to check the C of G Another mod I made was to use thicker wire on the steerable front wheel to servo the supplied one kept bending out of shape.

Edited By Stephen Grigg on 05/09/2009 10:34:44

In the end I didnt enter,I dont thi

nk there was a novice section and when I read what you had to do I didnt know what it meant let alone know how to do it.I spent some time doing the C of G,.First time round I added 120 grams to the front.This time round a massive 260 grams.Howecver it flew perfectly and the landings were more controllable.Ive remarked the Cof G positions and will check Ive got it right but it certainly flies superbly.The engine still doesnt seem to be pulling full revs so I may try a different prop,Its on !!x7 at the moment,its a OS46la