Seagull 40 Low Wing Trainer

After flying the Super Air I found the Seagull 40 a lot easier to fly a lot more forgiving and not so quick in the turns.It flies a lot slower as well giving you more time with things,the Super Air is more seat of the pants.Its obviously the next model after this one,quite exciting to fly.I would certainly recommend the Seagull 40 as a1st tim low wing trainer followed by the Super Air

Flew last evening and the Sun and wind were both in the wrong place.It wasnt possibleto land into the wind because of the sun.I was trying to get my height low and spees down enough but it was very difficult and I slightly damaged the Fuz(new).Repaired it easily and first flight today,bit windy practising a low approach misjudged and into long grass at speed broke the Fuz.It has broken further forward at the rear than the other fuz,if its far enough forward I may be able to make a fuz out of the 2

I dont believe it the Seagull 40 will live to fly another day.I retrieved the old fuz,and sure enough it had broken about 2" nearer the tail.By using the old Fuz andrear end of the new one ive managed to make a usable fuz from the 2.By  deciding the best place to join on to the old fuz,I had some good distance pieces yto measiure to,and just kept cutting small sections from thr tail until it all lined up.I finished last night with needing to fill and cover tonight.Its replacement arrived today,a 62" AT-6 Texan by Seagull.

Last night I fitted the servos,the tank and the engine.The engine is a new GSM 2000 47 2 stroke,I bought it in the bring and buy for £10.Ive run it in at work this morning and it sounds really promising ,revs well,ticks over nicely.I finished off last night by recovering the join.

Running in the engine

Can you see the join.Tonight Ill fit the receiver and adjust the controls and build the wings up for flying tomorrow.Did you notice when I ran the engine the pilot jumped out,hope that doesnt mean something he knows but I dont!

Flew the Seagull 40 in the wind today and the GMS 2000 47 2 str.Engine has transformed it.It is such an unbelievably powerfull engine and made the model much easier to fly in the wind.I only managrd 1 good landing the others were all short in the long grass, but the repaired model stood up to it all well.With the  GMS  power,it was.certainly worth the £10 I paid for it.I flew on a 12x6  it was really great fun to fly

Finished the new wings last evening.Had some strange glitching from the aileron servos,which are new, couldnt figure the problem out,replaced everything with the servos and extensions from the old wings and it was all OK.the only problem from yesterday was I lost the cowling so Im screwing the one from the redundant fuselage onto it.

Today was very windy and it was commented at how stable the Seagull 40 is when coming in to land.Certainly is flying better than ever after its cut and shut.Another member is so impressed he has ordered one and he is an experienced flyer.Also found Im beginning to get the hang of flying upside down.Had quite a long spell inverted for me ,big grin time,

This model has assisted my development as a model flyer immemsely ,but I hope ithasnt spoilt me for the next one,Im confidently flying the BH Super \\\\\\air which this model has assisted me,and Ive started to fly the vintage low wingwer no 2 which is incredibely smooth on the controls.Im hopoing these will help me to be ready for the next ons which is the SG Texan

Funny Stephen. I bought this plane as my first low winger and had a GMS2000 46 2 stroke in it.
Fitted just right. Problem was i could not get the engine to run correctly.
I had loads of people look at it down the field even blokes who built their own engines and no one could get it to work properly.
Shame cuz it is a great looking plane with the new colour scheme.
The old one with the stars and stripes looked a bit bland.
We seem to be going down the same track with planes Stephen what with the Texan and all.
You'll be wanting a black horse twister next. (which i hasten to add the 46 LA in works a treat.
D

Hi Dave,the gms 2000 47 is a superb engine and has transformed this model.I always felt my Os 46 LA was lacking in pace even o in the Boomerang,but the GMS I have ticks over at no revs and even on a 13x6 prop has loads of revs.What an extra ordinary coincidence,just went wrong with the Super Air,which I cosider is my bonus model as it came back.

Managed to get told off today.I was doing a series of acrobatic manouvres when a Senior member told me I was going much to fast.I was pleased with the complement,means Im progressing well.I just slowed down and poodled around for a while,then landed.He then suggested I could to acrobatics much slower.I did but found it more difficult because the model was struggling at the top of a loop and becoming unstable.Iwas doing a vetical figure of8 and found that there was not enough speed to do the top loop as I came out of the bottom 1Im not confident enough tpo do the top followed by the bottom Id run out of air space I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Lovely day so off to the field to make up for yesterday.Couple of other members there,0nly took the Seagull 40,and I couldnt get a signal between Transmitter or receiver.Thought the battery might be flat had a spare but no different.Isnt it typical usually have to many models ready in the car only took the 1 and this happens..Further investigations tonight.