Beginner to Electric flight ? - WELCOME :-)

Dear Timbo,
Thankyou for the prompt response.  
It is always the same, no matter how many times I look at what I have written as soon as I press the send button I think, oh dear.

I should have stated that the receiver will be powered by its own switched battery and will be switched off on landing (as I do with I.C.).   The question I should have asked was, in the above circumstances is it a safe procedure ?  

An indirect but most  important reminder in your email was for me to ensure I can easily get at the motor battery and connections.  I have just started to build from a plan and already earmarked a place for the RX battery and externally operated RX switch.  At this early stage of construction your timely reminder gives me the opportunity to make any modifications necessary to ensure easy access.

I have re-read this a number of times and altered it twice and yet, I still hesitate to  press the  button.
Here Goes.
Thanks.

Posted by Timbo - Administrator on 23/02/2010 10:53:40:
On all  but the very largest or highest powered setups ( where heavy isolater switches /bridging plugs etc can be deployed )  the easiest and safest way is to simply unplug the main flight battery immediately after landing. Switching off the tx should NOT be relied upon, and besides, the model should be always be switched off before the Tx.....just as with IC.

LOL no worries JN in fact my answer remains the same - switching off the radio supply battery via a switch is not isolating the main battery to motor and this is what is needed for total safety. Most ESCs these days will refuse to "boot up" unless they see a valid, low throttle signal from the Rx, but that is certainly not a guarantee that they wont.
As you havelaso already identified, an easy method of disconnecting and removal of the main power battery is needed for charging anyway, so no big deal to make access to the main leads a feature of the build.
It is - simply - the ONLY way to be sure that the motor will not spring into life.

• 3 years later...

Maybe I can help Steve......

BEC is a "Battery Eliminating Circuit"...it comes from ye olden days when electric flight was so marginal the ability to dispense with the Rx battery & use an electronic regulator to run the radio represented a useful weight saving.

UBEC stood for "Ultimate BEC" & has become a generic term for a stand alone unit that regulates the voltage from the flightpack down to 5 volts or so for the radio.....

HTH...Hope That Helps

IYSWIM....If You See What I Mean

IMHO...In My Humble/Honest Opinion

Tim has to use these abbreviations....its the only way he has time to reach his massive total of posts....

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 25/02/2013 11:39:38:

Maybe I can help Steve......

BEC is a "Battery Eliminating Circuit"...it comes from ye olden days when electric flight was so marginal the ability to dispense with the Rx battery & use an electronic regulator to run the radio represented a useful weight saving.

UBEC stood for "Ultimate BEC" & has become a generic term for a stand alone unit that regulates the voltage from the flightpack down to 5 volts or so for the radio.....

HTH...Hope That Helps

IYSWIM....If You See What I Mean

IMHO...In My Humble/Honest Opinion

Tim has to use these abbreviations....its the only way he has time to reach his massive total of posts....

LOL ( laughing out loud ) smiley

• 6 months later...

Hi All, Just joined the forum and it is fantastic the amount of information on here well done to you all. I am coming back into glider flying after a almost a thirty year break and i can see you guys are going to make it simpler for me to get upto speed with the new radios and such like. Many thanks for doing what you do. cheers Tony.