To BEC or not to BEC

I did do a thread similar to this a while back but cant find it since since the forum platform change - the issue raises its head often, so here's my take on it - and this time I shall bookmark it
The following is of course, only my personal opinion and not based on science, engineering degrees or anything else quite so sophisticated, but will doubtless cause "debate" .

" BECS are actually better than a  separate battery" 

Let me explain why I think this could be so .

BECs ( whether separate or part of the ESC ) usually  get their power from the main flight battery - a relatively meaty great big powerful beast. The ESC also features a low voltage cutoff circuit ( LVC ) designed to give visual but safe indication that the battery is running low. However even if the battery approaches this low level, it will still have more than enough juice left to continue powering the BEC / UBEC which in turn powers the receiver and brown out should therefore not happen ( assuming the BEC circuitry is "up to the job" ).

A separate Nixx battery pack on the other hand has the following potential problems.

1) It needs to be capable of supplying the correct voltage and current necessary - and many are not, especially smaller cell AA type.

2) It needs charging ( and by different means to that of the flight pack ) and this could be / has been forgotten with disastrous consequences

3) Nickel based cells have a bad reputation for black wire disease - which most decent evidence seems to point to the chemistry of the electrolyte used. No such BWD has been found in Lithium cell based packs.

4) Perhaps most critically of all - if, for whatever reason, the separate pack runs low, or stops altogether due to a bad connection etc there will be no prior warning via the motor stopping / slowing / pulsing or whatever the ESC would normally do. The first signs of trouble will be the receiver stopping working altogether - including the flight controls! This will not be a "failsafe" situation - this can only occur with RF signal loss / interference, not a power loss.

This of course is dependant on the BEC / UBEC being reliable and capable enough for the job...which frankly these days the majority of them are. A separate circuit UBEC should indeed run cooler ( provided it is within capability and has airflow around it ) than one built onto an already warm, hard working ESC PCB

So in order of preference I will go for - in true Miss World fashion EG: in reverse

6th place- the separate 4 cell NiXX battery

5th place- the separate 5 cell NiXX battery

4th place - the ESC BEC combo unit

3rd place - the UBEC powered by Nixx battery

2nd place - the UBEC powered by seperate LiPo

Ist place -  the UBEC powered by main flight pack

good info tim ,i like first place best as wel,l i think it works out the cheapest option alot of the time ,you can get a  opto esc's and ubec's very cheap on web ,also you can get some good esc with a 3a-5a switching bec built in ( 4th place ) these are a bit more expensive ,what do think about them tim ?

I have sussesfully used the inbuilt switch mode BECs on ESCs on several models without problem. Of course, it all depends on what sort of loads are being palced upon the servos via flight styles and surface areas etc...as well as the total number of servos themselves, and their type . Digitals and mini /micro jobs are usually thirstier than their standard analogue brothers.

I'm a little confused about all this, is a UBEC a separate piece of kit that can be used with an ESC with BEC or only with one that has OPTO as I thought that this type of ESC must operate with a separate battery.

Also in passing why do most ESC's  not have an ON/OFF switch like a Jeti?

Regards
Garry G

IMO the "on-off" switch is a waste of time -  prefer the absolute security of knowing that when the main battery is disconnected nothing can start up, and whenits plugged in I treat the model as "live".
Now the UBEC. It ( or a separate battery ) can be used with an OPTO ESC...but TBH in order to retain full opto isolation, a separate battery is required not a UBEC.
If you wish to use a UBEC with an ESC which has a BEC onboard, then remove the red pin from the ESC servo lead which plugs into the throttle port. This cuts off power from the BEC but still allows the throttle commands to be communicated.

TIMBO-you are the man-i take my hat off to you for all the info you are putting on the forum for us apprentice sparkie's-should you cross the border to the centre of the world(geordie land) you will def get a pint from me..........

ps-get young ashby to get it all(the info) into one book-you'll be a millionaire asap.....

ken anderson.............

Many thanks Timbo, understand where you are coming from re. the ON/OFF switch.

If I am using a UBEC with a ESC that I have removed the +ve red pin, this is still plugged into channel 3 ( throttle ) where do I plug the UBEC into the RX ? the normal battery socket?

I remember when the most demanding technical decision was wether to use 6 or 8 strands in the rubber motor.

• 1 month later...
thanks tim ,i dont need to buy another 6v NiMH (lost my only one)now and ive found a use for some 2s lipo ive got

.my main reason for asking was i was thinking of getting a glider (i live near ivinghoe beacon and it seemed rude not to) so i thought i could use a 2s lipo and ubec for convenience.

I have just bought the gubbins for converting my trainer to electric, and as soon as I've sold my IC bits SWMBO will let me access them...

either way, according to the UBEC diagram the UBEC is connected from battery to reciever and the esc from battery to motor, in a sort of parrallel (but different output) set up. This now makes sense, especially when coupled with the LVC function of the ESC.

right, now to find some cheap(ish) deans ultra connectors and banana clips.

Thanks Tim!

Posted by austen rover on 15/10/2009 15:16:15:
thanks tim ,i dont need to buy another 6v NiMH (lost my only one)now and ive found a use for some 2s lipo ive got

.my main reason for asking was i was thinking of getting a glider (i live near ivinghoe beacon and it seemed rude not to) so i thought i could use a 2s lipo and ubec for convenience.

Its the method I use in all my gliders too AR

• 2 weeks later...
Does the use of Twin Motors make a difference as to whether you are able to use BEC or not? I'm thinking of buying a YT International DHC-6 Twin Otter with 2 x 1250 kv motors 2 x 60A esc's and drawing from 2 x 3200 or 3700 3s lipos.

Are there issues with using the BEC's built into the 4-Mac escs? How should I wire these? Do I Y lead the connection to the Spectrum receiver? Do I need to disconnect one of the red wires from the ESCs? Can one leave the lkeads from the esc's intact to provide redundancy to the receiver for power?

Any help or experience with this kind of set up (and the Twotter) gratefully received.
Thanks
Peter

Edited By Peter Roberts on 23/10/2009 16:58:51

Edited By Peter Roberts on 23/10/2009 16:59:16

Posted by Peter Roberts on 23/10/2009 16:58:22:
Does the use of Twin Motors make a difference as to whether you are able to use BEC or not? I'm thinking of buying a YT International DHC-6 Twin Otter with 2 x 1250 kv motors 2 x 60A esc's and drawing from 2 x 3200 or 3700 3s lipos.

On a model this size should you not put a small seperate rx battery in? its not like the extra weight will be an issue and it will give you piece of mind, i think your pushing it on that current draw and i would think 4 rather large servos??

Tim Sebart Sukhoi 50, 4 servo's (Graupner 5077) 5kg torque, they going to busy on this plane ! I have a opto esc that I could fit, however I did order a Turnigy Plush 80a that its BEC can handle 6s input! Assuming this is a discouraging option then i will go the opto way and consider a seperate RX pack, however the object is to keep the model as light as possible as will be using 6s 3700 packs wich is the heavier option of Lipo choice, I could stretch into the pocket and get some lighter lipo's, but I prefer the 3700's as they are used in other models. So 3700's plus the extra weight of a rx pack might tip the model a tad heavy for the performance I am aiming to get out of this model!