7.4v Lipo for Rx/servos

I am assembling a Boomerang 40 sports trainer as a first plane model. I have been flying R/C helis for a while and have a collection of 7.4v Lipos. I want to use one of these for my on board systems.

I know I'll have to regulate the voltage down to 6v - I don't want to go lower than this as cell drain beyond 3v per cell can permanently damage the battery.

Am I employing sound thought process on this one? Seems to be a smart way to go as I have battery charging systems around every corner in my office.

I know most are using Enerloops or other suitable NiMH setups.

What sayeth thee?

Chris.

The regulated output will have no effect on the input voltage. The very design nature of the regualtor is that it will maintain a steady fixed voltage on the output side irrespective of the input voltage ( not withstanding the input must be at least as high or higher than the required output - most are switcheable between 5v or 6V.
Steps need to be taken to not let the Lipo drop below about 6V - and some devices have bult in monitoring to assist with this. In the models I have which do not feature this monitoring, I simply fully charge the battery before each use, and then again before the next use, I have flown certain models almost literally all day, and the Lipo has not dropped below around 6.5V. Of course, this duration is dependant on the capacity of the Lipos.

The Lipo I have in mind is a 1000Mah and rated at 16C. I'm thinking this should be fine. I am using an OS 55 AX with a 350Ml capacity tank which apparently gives around 10-12 minutes of flight time. I will check the voltage after the boomerangs maiden flight - this should give me something to measure the rate of battery drain.