Field battery

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Lyndon,
Go to Maplins and get a couple of panel mount 1/4" jack sockets and wire the battery to them through a car type in line fuse. They are easily fitted through the wood of a flight box or even a metal plate as they are insulated. I have a wood plate fitted to the top of my battery, drilled through where youy lift it. I also incorporated a voltmeter on the plate from an old car backup starter unit.  While at Maplins or the local electronics shop get a couple of stackable jack plugs for each terminal. These can then be plugged in and are held safely in place with no danger of jumping off like croc clips sometimes do. The fuse will protect from short circuits, 15 - 30A depending on your starter wattage.
It is simple and looks good.
Bill.

Bill, good idea to make a panel with plugs and sockets. However I think you mean Banana plugs and sockets not Jack plugs and sockets. I guess this due to you reference to stacking them. I do not think that jack plugs are stackable. Jack plugs both +ve and -Ve go through the same plug and socket so risk sort circuit when they are plugged in and out.  Also I do not think that Jack plugs and sockets would not be able to handle the load of a starter motor.