Swingee Hinges

• 2 years later...

I must say I am amazed at how much feedback there has been on the hidden controls. It must have hit a nerve with a few others and not just be something that annoys me alone.

Here is the latest incarnation I have seen used, this is by an ex F4c Champion. It is in my opinion a variation on the "swingee" as it relies on the device being at 45 degrees to the hinge line.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 03/07/2012 12:19:27

EDIT:- I've moved this post here to bring all posts about hidden controls into one place. Hope it still makes sense? 
Chris

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 06/07/2012 16:06:31

The swingees can be bought as Doug states from www.Topmodel.fr and are made by a company

called Horst (possibly German) of which I can find no internet site. The item appears to have

been properly tooled an manufactured, which indicates some mass production, but so far TopModel

appear to be the ony supplier. As Doug says, €2.50 is a bit steep, but I guess it depends how much

you want to hide your hinges!

I saw them for the first time in the mag... Nifty idea, but i'm not sure about how robust they look..

Please prove me wrong ( I usually am ) but the leverage on the actual hinge, and, going off the mag pic, the plastic lever itself, look like they'd litterally POP if overloaded...

Small stuff yes, but big.?!

How big are they..?? I'm presuming 'normal' size...

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Hi Doug, Rob Bulk of RBC Kits in Holland stocks Precision Secret Horns made by Kavan. Which is part of Sig Mfg. I believe Pegasus imports Sig stuff might be worth asking?

As Chrisie says, and I have also said several times be careful with these on larger models......

There is a larger version that has, I think, SWEDEN molded into it, this seems much bigger and sturdier, however following a massive failure of one of these causing aileron flutter I would personally steer clear. Great for smaller slow flying models but perhaps not for the larger ones.

Just my opinion......

If you really want to use them then make your own....

These are fitted to a large turbine powered Philip Avonds Fouga Magister jet.

I hope Wim doesn't mind me pinching the pic embarrassed If you want the link send me a PM.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 05/07/2012 01:03:33

ian redshaw swingee.jpg

These are the ones used in a large Petrol powered Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden built by Ian Redshaw, Ian had succesfully used them before, but in this airframe the wear was very rapid, and the flutter nearly cost the model. No doubt it survived mainly due to Ian's ace flying skills thumbs up Hope you don't mind me showing the pic Ian wink 2

Cheers

Danny

• 4 years later...

Danny,

Having read your latest piece on the site I'm curious about these swingee hinges that to date I'd never heard of. I'm not clear of the geometry in Fig. 1 of your article, particularly how the 45 degree angle of the plate makes the control surface move up and down by simply pulling on the servo rod. I've studied the photo above of the turbine jet hinge and still seem to be missing the elephant in the room. Perhaps you could elaborate how it actually works, as my overly challenged grey cells don't quite get it.?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody had any luck in tracking down these Precision Secret Horns or PSHs? I searched the RBC kits website, since they went to the trouble of contacting Danny Fenton in his "True to Life" article on the current home page, but unfortunately I cannot find these "swingee" hinges. I tried twice to contact RBC Kits by email but unfortunately nobody is answering. I also checked the Kavan website, who were the makers of these hinges, but they are no longer featured on their website.

Hi Stephen, I cannot see why you want to use these hinges. They are not the best way to go these days. RDS is far better for things like ailerons, flaps etc, and for rudders Pull-Pull is far more precise, and the lightest of the bunch, allowing the servo to be positioned way up front.

I don't want to disagree with Mr Platt as he is something of a hero for me, but I am not sure swingees have a role to play these days. Ian Redshaw tried some a few years back and the play after just a flight was nearly enough to bring the model down!

Look at post #9 on this link

just for fun....

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 18/11/2016 15:47:42

Edited By Danny Fenton on 18/11/2016 16:09:08

Thanks Danny for that early video of the maestro. I take your point regarding the reliability of these hinges and the fact that they are scarce would support that argument. Its only because of my recent enquiries, having first inspected the DP plans, that these hinge issues have come to light.Thank you also for the link to the RCU build thread as I had missed that one. There is plenty of info there that has not been covered in other build threads.