By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motocalc or Ecalc?
17/10/2019 20:56:34

Geoff, I agree. I used ElecriCalc (also off a 3.5in floppy) back in the brushed motor/NiCd days, when sorting out a viable power setup was much more critical than it is nowadays. However I can’t remember when I last used one of these programs.

I keep a note of the setups on each plane I’ve got and when building something new, can usually find a previous model which can give me a good enough guide to pick out a suitable battery/ motor/prop combo. Truth is, modern brushless motors have such a wide efficiency band And LiPos are so much lighter than the old NiCds that it’s not so tricky as it used to be. Also, with so many motors to choose from, it must be hard for the writers of the calculators to keep their databases up to date.

Thread: Martyn's Chippie RCAF 671
17/10/2019 15:28:53

Congratulations on the maiden Martin! I’m sure the stress levels are in direct proportion to how long the model has been in build.

Trevor

Thread: Motocalc or Ecalc?
17/10/2019 08:12:53

There's also Drivecalc:

http://www.drivecalc.de

Trevor

Thread: Servo power-up movement
11/10/2019 10:20:03

Whilst I agree that a power glitch of some sort is a likely cause, have you checked whether the failsafe settings are consistent with how the model behaved when it crashed?

Thread: BMFA 'B' Test Video Available
09/10/2019 15:34:49

When I’m having trouble with screwing out of bunts with a particular model I often find it helps to roll inverted and enter the bunt from the bottom. I then let the model carry on round and do two or three consecutive bunts before levelling out at the top. This seems to re-calibrate brain and thumbs and I can then usually make a better job of it when entering from the top.

Thread: Göppingen Gö-1 Wolf
06/10/2019 11:57:35

The short answer is yes, lots have been built. I personally have seen five, as well as Chris’s prototype. My build thread is here.

Thread: Guess the fault
04/10/2019 08:35:54

My money would be on the tailwheel steering servo pulling the battery voltage down when the rear of the fuselage is knocked. Could be a faulty servo or high resistance anywhere from battery to receiver.

Thread: A Terrifying story
01/10/2019 16:11:25

Well, you didn’t expect her to walk all the way home did you?

Thread: Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer
01/10/2019 10:23:54

Thanks for the response Cuban. Interestingly I’ve been given a can of Tamiya Smoke by a car racing friend. I’m usually a disaster area when it comes to paint so any tips you have on applying it would be much appreciated. I was thinking of masking the outside of the canopy with cling film in the hope that it might make it easier to see how the colour is building up. However I’m not sure how to hold the canopy open to spray the inside.

Trevor

01/10/2019 09:39:11

First monthly instalment of my Revolver build diary is now online:

**LINK**

Trevor

Thread: Have You Ever Noticed...
24/09/2019 14:33:42
Posted by Martin Harris on 24/09/2019 10:37:01:

Something odd going on with your ailerons or a clever bit of montage?

Martin, The ailerons do go up in a questionable attempt to help with landing, so it’s possible the shot was taken during a ‘go around’.

Old Geezer, thanks for your comments. Maybe I’ll have to christen my Hurricane ‘Dame Edna’?!

Trevor

24/09/2019 10:31:12

I’m a paid up member of the ‘awkward squad’ too, which is why my Hurricane looks like this:

img_8041.jpg

Trevor

Thread: Indoor model anybody?
13/09/2019 20:12:51

The V911 is much easier to fly than any helicopter was ten years or so ago! It is also much cheaper and more robust, but not unbreakable. The easiest helis of all are the ones with two contra-rotating rotors but many of these have a control layout that doesn’t relate well to ‘proper’ helicopters so they are not such a good intro as they might seem.

13/09/2019 11:26:56

If you can cope with waiting for overseas delivery, you’d be hard put to do better than the WLToys V911 from Banggood:

**LINK**

Trevor

Thread: Hammer F3 build (another another) - glider newbie
06/09/2019 14:26:14

Hello Mike,

Extension connectors buried in the wing normally have some sort of strain relief such as a piece of thread tied round them end to end or a commercial locking clip. With your method of joining the wires without the housings it’s hard to see how you could do that. It should be okay as long as you can be sure the wires aren’t going to be pulled or snatched during the rigging or de-rigging process.

With regard to the orientation of the flap servos, it is conventional to install them in mirror image fashion. This can make it easier when programming coupled aileron to flap (to improve roll response). However, if you don’t plan to do this and want to save a receiver channel by Y-leading the servos, then by all means flip one of them.

Cheers,

Trevor

Thread: Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer
01/09/2019 07:54:23

It's amazing how that cranked boom changes the appearance. Of course if you're leaving out the horizontal stab then the plan view will be very different too.

I have a canopy on order from Sarik. Having failed to find a suitable pilot, I'm contemplating just painting (or at least tinting) the canopy and forgetting about the interior. Motor and ESC are also on order and hopefully, with a bit of improvisation, most of the other bits will be from stock.

And, to complete the confession, I did get the glue pot out yesterday!

Trevor

31/08/2019 08:32:22

I have a self-imposed rule that winter builds can't be started until September. I just may have jumped the gun a little bit on this one:img_2436.jpg

But then, cutting out a few parts doesn't really count as building, does it? angel

Trevor

Thread: Brian Winch
25/08/2019 08:04:30

I've not flown i.c. for 60 years but I always found Brian's articles of interest. He will indeed be sadly missed.

Trevor

Thread: Hammer F3 build (another another) - glider newbie
20/08/2019 12:41:55

Looks promising. Make sure that the Gorilla glue can’t find its way through to the flap hinge!

I don’t recall any issue with the wing position.

20/08/2019 10:36:42

Hello Mike. A few responses. Hopefully you will get a few more because a lot of the points you raise are matters of personal preference.

Q1. I haven’t measured mine but those movements sound okay.

Q2. Cut and solder.

Q3. I’d like to see some ideas on this. Because mine’s electrified, the servos and receiver occupy the space where the extension leads go and so I haven’t been able to devise a multiconnector solution that would still allow the receiver to be removed.

Q4. If you have any servo covers, the position of the pushrod shroud will probably determine which way round to fit the servo. Otherwise I don’t think it matters.

Q5. Fit and melt - but a bit of cyano wouldn’t go amiss. I have had one of them come loose.

Q6. I don’t do Spektrum. Sorry.

Q7. Mine’s film covered. The only ballast I carry is a slug of lead in the tail to offset the weight of the motor. We tend to fly from more modest hills so I haven’t felt the need for more weight.

Q8. I don’t do varnish!

Q9. The Hammer’s no thermal soarer so you’d need some good thermals to make aerotowing worthwhile. It is good fun though.

Q10. I used the supplied snakes with the integral nylon clevis at the rear and 2mm threaded adapters & metal clevises at the servo end for adjustment.

Q11. Yes - as long as you don’t expect to get clear and unambiguous answers

Trevor

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us