By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy G.

Here is a list of all the postings Andy G. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Quicker build using Cyano?
23/06/2018 07:26:44
Posted by David Mellor on 21/06/2018 11:12:33:

Interestingly, a form of cyanoacrylate (N-butyl-2 cyanoacrylate) is used in surgery to stem otherwise uncontrollable bleeding in thoracic areas. Mainly, it is very successful.

If I remember correctly superglue was originally used heavily by combat troops in Vietnam to stem bleeding and to minimise further damage in battlefield injuries

Thread: Tony's Concorde
22/06/2018 08:08:14

Very impressive, waiting and watching on this one!

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
22/06/2018 08:05:48

Wow! That's cute!

Thread: Is this yet another scam
05/06/2018 08:14:05

I used to get cold calls from Call Guardian, ( I now have a call blocker device integral with the phone ). I used to point the irony of getting a cold call about a service that would allegedly stop cold calls! I too used to like to keep them talking as long as possible to waste their time. Then report them to the ICO. Information Commissioners Office.

Thread: Electric Motor for 0.49cu in Conversion
01/06/2018 08:47:44

I believe that a Cox Baby Bee type 0.49 puts out somewhere around 40 Watts, so that's a good starting point. For a timer take a look at Dens Models. He does a range of bespoke electronic timers.

Thread: Honda Field.
16/05/2018 07:54:19

RESULT !!!!!!yes

Thread: Chris's Vicomte 1916
13/05/2018 08:34:44

Hi Chris.. let me add my condolences to the list. As everyone has said at least you and anyone else weren't hurt. As annoying as it is the car is just metal and not flesh and blood. I guess la grotte must be located on the only hill in Belgium??

Thread: How to pass the time when charging Lipos?
11/05/2018 07:26:39
Posted by john stones 1 on 10/05/2018 13:39:46:

Listen some Beefheart...Electricity

Great musical choice John! Regularly gets played when I'm in the workshop, modeling or charging..

Thread: BN2 Islander, Refurb blog
09/05/2018 10:34:49

Thought I ought to do a small update on this project. In truth, this being a sort of spring/summer build project and having a few other builds on the go simultaneously progress hasn't been stunning.

finally got all the servos and wiring into the wing and got everything set up there, took a while to figure out the programming for the flaps on my Hitec TX. But got there in the end with the help of a fellow club member.

Blew a couple of coats of ''High Build' automotive primer onto the fuselage ready for some rubbing down. We have our club's annual Scale competition coming up in July it would be nice to get the beast in the air before then.

I mentioned the full size restoration of Auringey Air's BNM2 in an earlier post, and I did manage to get along to the event. This aircraft .. G-AVCN... was in fact the 3rd production Islander to be built, and served with Auringey before being exported to south America where it ended it's days in Honduras ( I believe) . By the time it was purchased and brought back to the Isle of Wight it had suffered somewhat from it's days in open storage but the volunteers of BNAPS ( Britten Norman Aircraft Preservation Society) have done some outstanding work on the airframe. I've posted a few pics from their open day, the A/C is being restored in an old barn and therefore the lighting and conditions for photography aren't great, but hopefully you will get an impression of the work. I took my part completed BN2 along and showed it off to a few of the volunteers who were very interested.

Oh.. and word had got out that their open day coincided with my birthday, and they had made me a birthday cake! Double Whammy day out!.. dscf0861small.jpg

dscf0862small.jpg

bnaps1.jpg

bnaps2.jpg

bnaps3.jpg

bnaps4.jpg

BNAPS Open day.

Thread: HobbyKing Teksumo
06/05/2018 08:35:04

A bit of glue and tape and that'll be as good as new! Mine has looked like that on about 3 occasions now!

01/05/2018 08:00:24

Might it possibly be because you're running the motor up to high revs with it off load, i.e. no prop?

Thread: Spring 2018 is here...been flying?
23/04/2018 08:18:41

Having gotten through all the crummy cold and nasty winter and early spring weather without any ailments I went flying on the first 2 truly nice consecutive spring days only to come down with a real stinker of a cold! Having a long standing underlying health condition I have to be careful,so no no more flying for me for a week or so..

Thread: Mini Blitz
22/04/2018 08:02:18

Interesting variation Dave, I imagine that's a lot lighter than the balsa variant.

Thread: HobbyKing Teksumo
15/04/2018 08:47:36

The Teksumo should get away from a hand launch at about a 1/4 - 1/3 throttle quite easily. Well trimmed they will fly very slowly, but I bet that throttle won't stay low for very long! A little bit of reflex is needed on the elevons, not too much though or it will zoom when you throttle up very markedly. Dual rates and expo help the nerves too. My favourite manoeuvres are, to do a low fast pass then pull a rolling vertical until it's a dot ( not long!) or to get over the centre of the patch really slow, push the elevons stick into the corner and watch it come down like a sycamore seed. Mine is an earlier version with ply motor mount and no FPV provision, it's looking tatty now but it will be getting an outing today if the rain holds off..

14/04/2018 07:54:12

I have a Teksumo, they're more fun than a bucket of frogs!!! One tip though, the instructions show everything mounted underneath, where it's all likely to be damaged by even the best landing. I cut through the openings, mounted everything above and replaced the cut away foam back underneath. Much more sensible. Also, because I fly mine with a large 2300 mA 3S Lipo mounted spanwise I reinforced the very front of the wing with a 1/32 ply plate on the underside. The finished beast is ballistic! Enjoy!!!!!

Thread: Moles!
07/04/2018 08:02:05

One of our members regularly pours Dettol down the mole holes, I don't think it actually gets rid of the little varmints but at least they are nice and clean and well disinfected!!

Thread: Useless tools
05/04/2018 08:05:14

Some years ago when ordering something fairly lightweight from HK they offered me the opportunity to use up the remaining weight limit on the postage so I scanned through their site's offers and found a very nice looking and very cheap device for cutting an accurate an repeatable and adjustable bevel onto balsa strip or sheet. Convinced how excellent these would be I bought 4, 1 for me and the rest to pass on to friends or club members. They arrived in kit from, 6 pieces of nicely machined aluminum, a bag of assorted screws, cutting blades but no instructions. An hour or so later I actually got it assembled as it was supposed to go, got out some scrap balsa and gave it a go! Rubbish! It just would not cut a consistent bevel. I gave one to a very experienced and skilful modeling friend and asked him to see what he thought, later that week he phoned me to say that it was by far the nicest paper weight he had ever seen!!!! I still have two left. Lol

Thread: Customer build pics of the skip models exodus
29/03/2018 08:23:41

With a name like EXODUS someone was bound to do a Bob Marley themed one........ Love it!!!!!

Thread: Clunk!
26/03/2018 07:54:47
Posted by Gary Manuel on 25/03/2018 23:03:28:
Posted by Percy Verance on 25/03/2018 22:54:00:

My own experiences with inline filters were generally not good. They're usually more trouble than they're worth. They gradually block up, beginning the day they're fitted, and they are a potential air entry point. Remember, if it can go wrong, then at some point it will......

Percy... isn't that the point of fuel filters, to stop crud finding it's way from the tank and into the engine? If you get the dismountable type and clean them from time to time they are usually fine.. laugh

Thread: Easymax001 3dprint build blog
26/03/2018 07:43:51

I bought the kit from AeroFred last year but have yet to start building it yet so interesting to find this thread. Looking forward to seeing the video!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues