By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dai Fledermaus

Here is a list of all the postings Dai Fledermaus has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hi from Penderyn, South Wales
01/08/2019 17:18:55

I'm a member of the Valley Fliers club based in Treharris. I thought there was a model flying club near Hirwaun, but having just looked, I can't find it on the BMFA club finder page.

Living in Penderyn, you're not that far from one of the best slope soaring sites in the Country, the Bwlch mountain overlooking Treorchy.

Thread: RCM&E September Issue.
29/07/2019 13:27:52

Just received the September issue in the post. Brian Winch's article on engine cleaning is really interesting, but someone has slipped up with the photos of the Frog 500 crankcase on page 42. which are supposed to show how effective soda blasting is. Not so much before and after, more like before and before.

All I need now is for the Memsiab to stop talking long enough for me to read it. 😁.

Thread: Oracover Easycover Sold As Seconds
26/07/2019 22:21:24

Martin,

https://www.oracover.de/film/easycoat/1

26/07/2019 21:23:58

Martin, on the Oracover web site it's listed as Easycover

26/07/2019 20:59:20

Colin,

You've described almost exactly another problem I had, but didn't mention because I didn't want to turn my post into War and Peace. I just wasn't sure if these problems were a characteristic of the product or a manufacturing fault and the reason it was discounted.

I'm committed to the colour now so I'll play safe and order a roll of the slightly heavier Oracover at the normal price.

26/07/2019 19:18:10

I'm building a vintage scratch built Kloud King modified for RC by Doc Mathews.

To cover it, I bought a few rolls of Easycover widely sold at the moment as ' seconds' by a number of online suppliers for £9.95 for a 5m roll - a bargain considering the normal price. I had no problems covering the fuselage, but covering the wing has got me tearing out what little hair I have left.

There are two problems, getting it to shrink properly, by that I mean having to go over areas previously taught because they've gone slack again. I'm using a digital iron set at the recommended temperature. Second, if I need to move a section previous tacked, it tends to leave the colour and adhesive behind.

Not happy, I've removed it more than once, with the result that I need to order more. Has anyone else encountered similar problems with this discounted covering?

Thread: Hitec Optima Aerial Mount
26/07/2019 09:49:06

Thanks for your replies fellers.

Thread: Battery
25/07/2019 13:15:58

I use a 12v Yuasa motorcycle battery bought on EBAY for about £15. Small and compact.

Thread: Hitec Optima Aerial Mount
25/07/2019 12:53:55

They were available in packs of ten Alan, but no longer it seems.

25/07/2019 12:26:51

Anyone know where I can buy one or several if needs be, Hitec Optima aerial mounts? They seem to be as rare as - well something really rare. I was going to make a reference to rocking horses, but I thought better of it. 😚

Thread: Stockpiling
20/07/2019 14:26:03

It may be coincidence, but I've noticed a significant increase in the starting bids on second hand engines on EBAY.

Currently, there's an OS 15 LA nib being sold by one optimistic seller for £99.00. Also an ENYA SS 25 used but in seemingly good condition for £75.00. An MDS 28 with a starting bid of £40.

Sellers can ask whatever they like of course, but with a limited choice of new small capacity glow motors available, I can see this trend continuing despite the popularity of electric motors.

Thread: Newbie with some starter trainer plane balsa IC questions please.
14/07/2019 14:25:04

Make, or buy if you have to, a shooting board. normally used with a plane, I find a Permagrit Block just as effective.

It's brilliant for squaring up any cut ends of ply or balsa sheet or strip.

As I'm left handed I made mine, a simple job and well worth the little effort involved.

dscf6009.jpg

12/07/2019 10:39:09
Posted by Peter Miller on 11/07/2019 13:58:47:

T he nicest bike I ever owned

My last bike very much customised.

Edited By Peter Miller on 11/07/2019 13:59:40

Peter, You should have been thrown out of the Sunbeam Owners Club for doing that to an S8 wink

Thread: The demise of. ASP/SC
09/07/2019 11:21:02

Steve Webb is showing stock of the OS 15 LA, but other than that I recon you cant buy a new glow motor now under a .46 ie the OS 46 AX in the UK.

Webbs are still officially the UK stockist of Enya, but they seem to be permanently out of stock of all but the larger more expensive four strokes.

Enya have a web site which claims it's possible to buy direct from them, but if you check you'll see all of the engines available are " sold out"

Thread: The Good Brothers Pioneers in Radio Controlled Model Aviation
09/07/2019 10:55:49

Sorry fellers I couldn't get the link to work. you could copy and paste in your browser.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 09/07/2019 11:22:06

09/07/2019 10:52:00
Some of you may have already seen this fascinating video, but for those who haven't :-

https://youtu.be/jduj1wkGFT0

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 09/07/2019 11:05:26

Thread: The demise of. ASP/SC
03/07/2019 10:15:05

Just. Engines have just released this update on their Facebook page. Sad but not unexpected news.

*UPDATE* Just to let you know that the sad news that the ASP factory has in fact closed and will not be reopening. This is a sad day for the Hobby in general. We are able continue to buy spares as long as their stocks last and will honour existing warranties as far as possible. As to the future, we will continue to give the great service you have come to expect supplying OS and NGH engines, in addition, we are now stocking Saitos again whilst exploring options for smaller 2 stoke glow engines. Most of you knew that the factory also produced SC, Magnum and Evolution as well Kyosho engines, these too will be affected.

Thread: Gorilla Glue in Aldi Stores
24/06/2019 11:17:57

It has a slightly brown creamy appearance, but dries clear.

**LINK**

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 24/06/2019 11:21:30

23/06/2019 15:35:55

Aldi are currently selling 236 ml bottles of Gorilla glue for £1.49, roughly half price.

Thread: Plan services
08/06/2019 18:03:00
Posted by Peter Miller on 06/06/2019 18:17:12:

Looking at Pacific Ace I would say that any similarity is purely coincidental with strong imagination.

For a start the wing shape is completely different, The tail bears no resemblance to the Ladybird and the structure is very different and much, much lighter.

I find It largely depends on how much I've had to drink at the time. 😀

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us