By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dai Fledermaus

Here is a list of all the postings Dai Fledermaus has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
27/03/2020 17:13:46

Since our club field closed, ( keep safe Ron ) my wife has started to menace me with a very large and unpleasant looking tin of emulsion paint. Could this be construed as domestic abuse? 😉

Thread: Can I or can I not fly?
24/03/2020 09:25:27

The BMFA is advising all members to stay at home. Check their home page online.

23/03/2020 20:23:06

This from the BMFD today.

Model Flying in the club environment

It remains the case that in general terms model flying represents a low risk due to the predominantly outdoor nature of the activity and the opportunity to maintain inter-personal separation (a minimum separation of 2 metres is advised).

However, the latest Government advice is that any form of group gathering should be avoided and that those over 70 or with underlying health issues should significantly limit their face-to-face interaction with others. We are also all being urged to avoid non-essential travel. Therefore, our advice is for members to stay at home and finish off that winter project or make an early start on next winter’s masterpiece.

20/03/2020 13:04:18

As the OP when I announced, just a few days ago, the decision that our club had decided to close it's field, the post was met with a barrage of negative comments like " stupid " and " utterly ludicrous " .

Well, is it me, or have the posts become a little more sanguine in the past day or so? Now your fretting over wiping gates and locks, wiping everything down with anti bacterial wipes, and wearing gloves, standing up wind from others.

All I can say is good luck fellers, I hope we are all here after its all over to reminisce about it.

Thread: Sid king novice e aileron wing
16/03/2020 16:59:24

Mark, I have the magazine and the plan. Sid King says the the dihedral angle need to be reduced to 2.5 degrees, with the servo trays sitting on top of the bottom cap strips. If you search EBAy for RC Model World April 2015 you might find someone who has a copy for sale.

15/03/2020 14:31:57
Posted by Steve Colman on 15/03/2020 13:31:47:

I received an email from my club this morning stating that the regional governing body for aeromodelling activies have imposed a total ban on club activities here in the Aragon region of Spain. I also understand that similar bans have been imposed in the rest of the country too.

At the moment, technically I'm not permitted to leave my home for a simple walk unless it's for an approved activity like food shopping or medicines.

Edited By Steve Colman on 15/03/2020 13:32:10

The BBC afternoon news has just shown police drones flying around Madrid, I think it was, telling people who were out and about, to go home.

15/03/2020 08:09:47

As the OP, "Don't panic" you cry. Well, I think Captain Mainwaring will be doing a lot more huffing and puffing very soon. If Boris Churchill gets his way and you're over 70 you'll be confined to Barracks, so problem solved.

Private Godfrey will be told to stay at home with Sister Dolly. 😉

13/03/2020 16:19:28

Well now, it seems our Club committee's decision to close the field is derided by most here. It's a shame that some of you feel the need to be so vociferous about it. I was only interested to know if your club has discussed it, or had any contingency plans.

Have they made the right decision? Well only time and events will tell.

12/03/2020 18:20:10

Our Club has just decided to close the field until Easter in view of the Corona virus outbreak.. Given the majority of club our members are of a certain age and a number have health issues of some kind or other, I can't disagree with that decision too much. Better safe than sorry and the weather is not exactly conducive to model flying anyway.

Thread: Insanity seems to be setting in
09/03/2020 18:50:35

Forget toilet rolls and pasta. Much more importantly, there's a Worldwide shortage of Balsa.

The wind turbine industry has been complaining because it's widely used there apparently.

Thread: Isolating A Lipo.
07/03/2020 15:47:18

I seem to remember reading about a removable blade type fuse, as used in cars, to isolate the battery, but the details escape me. It might have been in a old copy of RCM&E.

07/03/2020 14:22:06

Thanks Dick for your response. That's a very neat idea.

Hello Ron, you've finally won me over, I've crossed over to the Dark Side 😉 Is there any way back?. I'll be picking your brains the next time we meet up the field - if it ever stops raining. 😊

07/03/2020 12:39:29

Which method of switching off/on or isolating your Lipo do you use when it's in the aeroplane, apart, that is, from actually unplugging it.

Max 4 sell an XT-60 style plug on a "wall plate" , it's functional, but not the neatest of solutions I'd have thought.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 07/03/2020 12:52:47

Thread: Bargain
18/02/2020 10:05:36

I picked up a 500 ml tub of Bartoline lightweight filler a few months ago in Trago Mills for about £3 - I can't remember the exact price. It has the look and feel of Model Lite. A bargain.

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
16/02/2020 11:16:54

Ouch and ouch

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 16/02/2020 11:18:08

Thread: Chinese suppliers
30/01/2020 11:11:22

Don't get too neurotic chaps, just consider the countless other products imported into this country every day from China which we come into contact with. You can't stick your new mobile or laptop in the microwave.

In any case, the products you've just diligently sanitised, were manufactured many months ago.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 30/01/2020 11:28:31

Thread: Dash cams
18/01/2020 12:50:45

I've had a MiVue 5 for about 4 years and it's been excellent. Mine has GPS which is a very useful feature. Using MiVue Manage on a computer, it gives you the exact location of the car on the screen map map in the bottom left hand of the video, as well as your speed. If you are unfortunately involved in an accident, it's all too easy for someone to claim you were speeding even if you weren't.

Thread: EPO Glue.
16/01/2020 12:00:36

I know this question has been asked before, but bear with me.

I'm quite familiar with woodworking glues, but I've just bought my first EPO foam model and Hobbyking have given absolutely no suggestion as to a suitable glue to assemble it. In fact there are no instructions at all with it. Hobbykings bit to save the planet, no doubt, despite the fact it came in a whacking great big delivery box, but that's another story.

There is a lot of information online, much of it contradictory, about the glue to use for repairs to EPO and it seems everyone has their own favourite adhesive.

My question is really about a suitable glue for the assembly not so much repairs. Beacon Foam Tac has been mentioned and UHU-POR, but both are classed as contact adhesives and when I think of contact adhesesives, I'm still thinking of Evostick which sticks on contact like the proverbial. Sliding the wings into place with Evostick would be, how could I put it, interesting.

I bought some Gorilla glue a few months ago which I haven't used yet, and a few people have suggested that, but I'm a bit concerned about it's foaming properties. Some have claimed it can sometimes force components apart.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
03/01/2020 10:41:21
Posted by alex nicol on 21/12/2019 11:43:53:

Let say first of all I don't mean to offend and fully appreciate the time and effort our organisations have put into getting this to where it is but does anybody else feel this subject has been done to death and is becoming as tiresome as B@#%it

Never in the field of model flying has so much been written by so many about so little. wink

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 03/01/2020 10:42:15

Thread: C.A.A Reg number ,inside or outside ????
28/12/2019 14:48:02

As tigerman said, so much has been written on this subject, the question I'm about to ask might already been answered.

Like Peter Miller, I have no problem displaying my ID number on the outside, and there is a danger of making too much out of it, but could someone copy my number? I can't imagine any responsible model flyer doing it, because we are the good guys aren't we, and I can't imagine the Police ever turning up at our Club field just to check, but what's to stop someone copying an Id number, from a photograph published in a magazine or from some web site or forum like this, or indeed, making up a similar number? What means does PC Plod have to check that ID numbers are legitimate? How will he know that Dave flying his drone on that bit of waste ground hasn't `acquired` his ID

I don't imagine they have a CAA database to call upon as they do with motor vehicle licence plates. Or do they?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CADMA
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us