By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dai Fledermaus

Here is a list of all the postings Dai Fledermaus has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Phoenix Flight Sim/Hitec Optic 6
05/03/2014 16:13:36

Phoenix Sim arrived today, so I have a better understanding of what I need as an interface cable. Problem is, I can't find anyone who sells Hitec P/N 58318 which actually comprises 2 cables. One is shown in the above link which I don't need, because as AT says the Hitec Optic 6 Sport has a 3.2mm trainer port not a 6 pin DIN socket. The other cable, the one I need, is a USB to 3.2mm MONO plug. I'm happy to buy the two if I can find someone to supply it.

Anyone got any thoughts?

02/03/2014 17:42:00

Thanks everyone, in particular Alan Tong, because after starting this thread I found what I hope is the right connector in your EBAY shop. Could you just confirm for me if this is the correct one for my Optic 6 Sport

LINK

Thread: Ebay sellers...
28/02/2014 16:38:46

Here's a lovely Golden Oldie.

. LINK

Thread: John's Tinker Major Build
28/02/2014 14:19:03

John, I had the same problem of butt joining 4 lengths of 3/32" balsa to make up the two fuselage sides of my Tyro Major finished last year before the mass build started - hence no build blog from me.

I'm fortunate in having a meter long carbon steel straight edge left over from my cabinet making days. I just took two lengths, overlapped them by 1/2" or so and with the top sheet supported I cut through both sheets using my straight edge. Result is a near perfect butt joint. You could get the same result with a meter rule which are reasonably cheap to buy.

I'm following your blog with some interest now because as kc said the build is so similar to the Tyro M

Edited By Colin Ashman on 28/02/2014 14:19:40

Thread: Phoenix Flight Sim/Hitec Optic 6
27/02/2014 15:15:52

I have £80.00 worth of Amazon vouchers burning a hole in my wallet, so I'm thinking of using them to buy a Phoenix 4 flight sim.

My problem is that I'm not sure what else I need in the way of connections to get it to run it with my Hitec Optic 6. The Phoenix web site is not very helpful when it comes to this particular combination. I've discovered that Slough Radio Controls sell a Phoenix Futaba/Hitec round adapter for £5,25 - I tried to do a link to this particular product, but it doesn't work for some reason.

Can anyone tell me if this is all I need?

Thanks

Thread: Squirrell Steals Plane!!!
25/02/2014 18:10:51

LINK

19/02/2014 09:23:04

Ebay buyers where do they get them from!!!

Why would someone place an early bid of £40.00, knowing that the p&p is £8.0 on a Jen 37, when he can buy a new one with a warranty from Just engines, the sole importer, for £53.70 delivered?

LINK

Thread: Take A Ride With Lady Alice
14/02/2014 11:32:27

This is a superb tribute to the P51 Mustang

LINK

13/02/2014 11:15:00

Thanks Peter for your help. The needle valve assembly is rear mounted on these engines, you can see the mounting bracket for it in the EBAY photos, and I'm sure it is missing.

The seller, to his credit, told me not to place a bid because he wasn't sure of the engine size.

LINK

13/02/2014 09:17:21

This the sort of thing which really baffles me about EBAY buyers.

I contacted the seller earlier this week to ask what size this engine is and if he had the needle valve assembly because it is not shown in the photos. He responded, honestly, by saying he didn't know the size or much else about it and, as he was away from home until the end of this week, was unable give me any more info. These K&B engines are so similar, it is impossible to tell if this one is a 20, a 28, or a 40 from the photos

If it was a 28, I could have been interested, but if the needle valve really is missing then the cost of buying one in from the U.S would probably rule it out.

I see now someone has place a bid on it. Why would someone do that if he doesn't know what he's buying?

LINK

Thread: A flying machine (well nearly!)
11/02/2014 15:21:15

Did you notice the guy welding without a face mask?

11/02/2014 11:02:02

Blimey!!! Take a look at the price.

LINK

Thread: The cost of a Mustang
06/02/2014 09:43:08

I've just finished reading Goodbye Mikey Mouse by Len Deighton, which tells the story of the 220th Fighter Group of the US Eight Air Force based in Norfolk during 1944.

One of the more interesting facts for me which came out of the book was the difference in cost between the P-47 Thunderbolt and the P51 Mustang. The P-47 cost the US Government 115,434 dollars and the P-51 58,546 dollars apiece.So for less that 2,000 dollars on top of the price of the Jug they could but two Mustangs.

I also know now why US aircraft, later in the war, were not painted. There was a cost saving in not doing it, but more importantly it added, in the case of the Mustang, 5 to 10 mph to the top speed which could be crucial in combat.

Edited By Colin Ashman on 06/02/2014 09:43:58

Thread: Renewing my Norton Internet Security
04/02/2014 15:59:09

I bought a copy of Computer Active today because it featured an Antivirus group test "the most detailed they've ever done" comparing Kaspersky, Norton, Eset, Bitdefender, Trend and Mcaffe as well as a number of free alternatives including Microsoft Essentials.

There wasn't much to chose between the first three ie Kapersky, Norton and Eset in terms of performance although Norton was considerable cheaper that it's rivals. Of the free alternatives, Avast came out best, but Microsoft Security Essentials was found wanting. They claim that Microsoft has said that it's anti- mailware software is only intended to provide a minimum "baseline protection". I guess you pays your money ( or not) and takes you choice.

Thread: Photo editing programmes
04/02/2014 15:36:43

Chrissy,

Not sure how much you would need to tinker with you photos, but Picasa from Google might be what you need. It's free to download, you can store your photos in the cloud, which means that you can view your photos on other devices such as tablets, smartphones without having to transfer them from your PC. You would need to sign up to Google plus. It has a number of picture editing tools, but as I say it depends how creative you need to be.

LINK

Thread: Renewing my Norton Internet Security
04/02/2014 12:27:45

I'm intrigued that Norton Support have got involved in this thread. Vineeth is obviously trying to be helpful, but it just goes to show that you have to be careful what you say online. You never know who is watching!!!!!

04/02/2014 11:17:51

Thanks for your input everyone.

I have to confess that I'm not very PC literate, but I have found out that you can't use Microsoft Essentials with Windows 8.1 the operating system I have now because it already includes Windows Defender. I'm not sure how comprehensive the protection on it's own that gives, so I'll do as some have suggested and look for the cheapest deal I can on Norton.

Currys PC World have it for £22.00 cheaper than Norton themselves, who are selling it at £24.99 to a new customer or £ 39.99 to renew a currently installed product to an existing customer. So much for brand loyality!!

Edited By Colin Ashman on 04/02/2014 11:18:28

03/02/2014 11:31:01

A word to the wise.

We bought a new PC back in Dec 2012. It came with Windows 8 and a trial version of Norton Internet Security. When that trial version expired in Feb 2013, I bought/dowloaded a 12 month subscription at what I thought was a very reasonable price although I can't recall exactly how much.

Now it's up for renewal. If I renew via the daily reminders I'm getting eg "You have 4 days left to renew your Norton Internet security" which takes me to their online store it will cost me £39.99. If I take another route to the store via a Google search, for example, it will cost me £24.99.

Yes I know I could get Avast and other like it free online, but I like Norton. It does the job, in the background, without demanding too much from the computer.

Thread: Building board bowed, please help
31/01/2014 18:06:58

You could try screwing a couple of hefty battens to the chipboard to pull out the warp, but is probably cheaper to bin it and buy a sheet of 4 x 2 plasterboard.

Edited By Colin Ashman on 31/01/2014 18:08:14

28/01/2014 16:02:56

Here's a nice buy for someone if it doesn't go for silly money LINK and a Mills 0.75 to go with it from the same seller LINK

The seller is not me by the way.

Edited By Colin Ashman on 28/01/2014 16:04:07

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us