By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dai Fledermaus

Here is a list of all the postings Dai Fledermaus has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: James May's Toy Stories
03/01/2014 12:29:37

A bit harsh on James May Rich!.

I'm with you on Top Gear which is now just an entertainment show featuring very expensive cars. Clarkson couldn't tell a camshaft from a crankshaft to save his life, but James May has made some decent programmes in this series.

I think his Christmas special last year when he attempted to fly a R/C model glider across the Channel was well received by this forum.

03/01/2014 10:37:16

On BBC2 at 9.00 tonight James May builds a road legal motorcycle and sidecar out of Meccano capable of taking a passenger for one 37 mile lap of the Isle of man TT circuit. According to our newspaper TV reviewer it's " informative, irreverent and at times very funny indeed"

Should be worth watching!

Edited By Colin Ashman on 03/01/2014 10:37:34

Thread: Ebay sellers...
31/12/2013 11:29:09

This guy deserves a pat on the back just for the description

LINK

Thread: It's the grand pre-Xmas (better stuff than normal) giveaway!
20/12/2013 15:30:00

Yes please count me in Mr Ashby.

Thread: buzzing servos
19/12/2013 12:21:24

When I fitted the rudder and elevator servos in my Tyro Major, they made the same buzzing noise which caused me much head scratching. Eventually I found that the SLEC push rod exits which I had fitted, although looking neat, did give enough room for the free movement of push rods which had a little up and down movement as they moved forward and back. In other words the slot in the exits were too narrow putting a small load on the servos via the pushrods.

Thread: Seasons Greetings
17/12/2013 12:06:04

NADOLIG LLAWEN A BLWYDDYN NEWYDD DDA. from Wales

Thread: Why Do We Still Build From Plans Which Use Imperial Sizes
14/12/2013 11:14:47

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in moving between metric and imperial sizes and measurement depending on what I'm doing, I thought it was just me.

When I started this thread I wasn't suggesting it would be better to move to plans in metric, I was just interested in why the old imperial sizes were still used and how that might mystify or make it more difficult for youngsters.

Even more confusing for them is the way some plans now have a pick and mix approach. Has anyone noticed that on the plan for Ellipse in the latest issue of RCM&E the main spar for the wing is made up of a 1/4" balsa core sandwiched between 1/4" sq hardwood, but the end elevation of it shows a thickness of 6.35mm. Also the tail skid is attached to a 6mm ply mount.

13/12/2013 16:57:11

This hobby/obsession of ours is not backward in moving forwards, electric flight, computer radios etc, so why are we still building from plans using inches and fractions of an inch?

Is it something to do with the fact that RCM&E along with other modelling magazines is sold in the U.S? My son is 34 and he would not be able to relate to 1/16" let alone 3/32". He would probably need to convert it to mm first.

Doesn't it just cause confusion to our European friends as well as youngsters joining the hobby?

Thread: Bandsaw purchase
11/12/2013 19:55:03

Scheppach, a German company, has a well earned reputation for making quality woodworking machines. I nearly bought one of their planer thicknessers at one time before changing my mind at the last minute and bought a British made Sedgewick machine.

If it's within your budget I would go for the Scheppach. I don't think you'll go far wrong.

Thread: Left or Right Hand
10/12/2013 14:35:49

I'm left handed! That's not a big deal in itself I agree, but I've noticed lot of people on T.V. are also left handers and I heard it said, not by me I hasten to add, that left handed people tend to be more creative or good with their hands, good at making things.

It would be entirely unscientific, but I would suggest that this forum would be a good place to confirm or confront that claim. So how many of you are left handed?.

I'm already anticipating the old gag " I'd give my left hand to be ambidextrous"

Thread: Aborted Landing at Birmingham Airport
06/12/2013 14:36:47

I recon this pilot earned his salary yesterday

LINK

Thread: Rest In Peace, Nelson Mandela 95 yrs old
06/12/2013 09:04:19

A friend of mine once met him in the departure lounge of an airport somewhere. Brian, made a point of walking over to Mandela to shake his hand. "Where have you come from" asked Mandela. From Wales was the reply. "Then you have come a long way". " Yes sir said Brian, but you have come much further"

Thread: The Advert With A Health Warning
05/12/2013 09:49:21

There you are sitting in you favourite arm chair with your feet up, you feeling rather pleased with yourself because you've had a good day's flying. It's cold and dark outside, but that cup of coffee you are holding is warming and your thoughts drift off to the next project on the building board. Then this advert comes on the Tele.

LINK

Thread: Amazon Drones
04/12/2013 10:26:44

Sorry Pete, must have nodded off!

04/12/2013 09:05:45

Blimey!!!

LINK

Thread: Bevel for hinge
03/12/2013 09:16:52

If the two edges are rounded instead of having a chamfer, as the two edges try to roll around one another when the elevator moves up or down, it will try to pull the hinge out as the hinge line opens out and the whole thing starts to bind. Try it without fitting the hinges and you'll see what I mean. A chamfer of around 45 deg is about right. You could get away with less, it depends by how much you need the elevator to move.

Edited By Colin Ashman on 03/12/2013 09:49:01

Thread: My plan is in danger of falling apart.
29/11/2013 13:56:55
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 29/11/2013 11:41:24:

While you are having it copied you could consider enlarging it a too, 110%, 115%, or more. Bigger models often fly better and look more impressive too. Just be aware that you will have to consider the wood sizes carefully and it will be more work (and cost). I have just upped Cyril Carr's Avro 707 design, the free plan in last months RCM&E, by 150%!

OK, so tell us, what AMI design are you planning to build?

This one :-

LINK

Thread: Chinese Thermals
29/11/2013 11:52:49

My daughter in law is Chinese. She was born and brought up in Harbin, a city of around 10 million people which is situated in north east China close to the Russian border. It's famous for it's winter ice festivals and night time temperatures in January and February often drop to minus 30c. So citizens of Harbin know how to keep warm.

I happen to mention to her one day that I could do with some thermals because the cabinet making workshop I had at the time was cold in the winter. Months later after a visit to see her parents she presented me with a pair of thermal long johns the like of which I've never seen before.

They are lined and filled with something which makes them feel incredibly warm ( I think she mentioned goat hair ) which makes me feel like the Michelin Man. It's almost like wearing a Duvet.

Now I'm thinking that they would be ideal for those brave souls amongst you who fly all year round particularly the fellers who fly gliders off slopes where the wind goes through you instead of around you. I wish I'd had them in my biker days as well

The problem is that I don't know were you would get them in the U.K All I can tell you is that they are made by company called Bosideng so if any of you have contacts in China it's well worth an enquiry if you need some good thermals.

What's interesting is that although I am 5 foot 10 ins and about 13 1/2 stone, and 34" waist, the size my daughter in law brought back is marked xxxl which are just about the right size for me.

Thread: My plan is in danger of falling apart.
29/11/2013 10:47:02

Thanks everyone, I knew I could rely on you to come up with the answer.

28/11/2013 14:52:47

I want to build from a plan I found in an AMI magazine dating back to 1998. The plan was still stapled into the Mag, but the paper seems a bit thin and dry. I've already had to Selotape one fold which was starting to split and there are others, especially folds which intersect which look a bit ropey and that's from just unfolding it a few times to work out a cutting list.

The font of knowledge in our house, no prizes for guessing who she is, says iron it flat and Selotape all the folds. Is she right yet again, or does anyone have a better idea?.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us