By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dai Fledermaus

Here is a list of all the postings Dai Fledermaus has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chinese Thermals
29/11/2013 11:52:49

My daughter in law is Chinese. She was born and brought up in Harbin, a city of around 10 million people which is situated in north east China close to the Russian border. It's famous for it's winter ice festivals and night time temperatures in January and February often drop to minus 30c. So citizens of Harbin know how to keep warm.

I happen to mention to her one day that I could do with some thermals because the cabinet making workshop I had at the time was cold in the winter. Months later after a visit to see her parents she presented me with a pair of thermal long johns the like of which I've never seen before.

They are lined and filled with something which makes them feel incredibly warm ( I think she mentioned goat hair ) which makes me feel like the Michelin Man. It's almost like wearing a Duvet.

Now I'm thinking that they would be ideal for those brave souls amongst you who fly all year round particularly the fellers who fly gliders off slopes where the wind goes through you instead of around you. I wish I'd had them in my biker days as well

The problem is that I don't know were you would get them in the U.K All I can tell you is that they are made by company called Bosideng so if any of you have contacts in China it's well worth an enquiry if you need some good thermals.

What's interesting is that although I am 5 foot 10 ins and about 13 1/2 stone, and 34" waist, the size my daughter in law brought back is marked xxxl which are just about the right size for me.

Thread: My plan is in danger of falling apart.
29/11/2013 10:47:02

Thanks everyone, I knew I could rely on you to come up with the answer.

28/11/2013 14:52:47

I want to build from a plan I found in an AMI magazine dating back to 1998. The plan was still stapled into the Mag, but the paper seems a bit thin and dry. I've already had to Selotape one fold which was starting to split and there are others, especially folds which intersect which look a bit ropey and that's from just unfolding it a few times to work out a cutting list.

The font of knowledge in our house, no prizes for guessing who she is, says iron it flat and Selotape all the folds. Is she right yet again, or does anyone have a better idea?.

Thread: Winter Tyres
27/11/2013 15:02:44

I think what's interesting here is that there is a common perception that the driver of a 4x4 will always get to his or her destination come hell or high water, well snow and ice anyway. The video seems to show that most 4x4s are no better in adverse weather conditions on normal tyres than your average car. I dare say that if you have a Land Rover or something similar you'll do much better.

Edited By Colin Ashman on 27/11/2013 15:04:01

27/11/2013 11:27:39

If someone told me that a two wheel car fitted with winter tyres had much better traction that a four wheel drive car fitted with standard ( summer ) tyres I'd have said they were dreaming, but here is the proof :-

LINK

Thread: Bandsaw
27/11/2013 09:03:18

Your absolutely right about Norm Abram kc. Have you seen the way he cuts his tennons - on a table saw with the crown guard removed. Home woodworkers might be tempted to try this method which is not only dangerous, but illegal in any commercial workshop in the U.K.

26/11/2013 11:33:43

Three wheel band saws were popular in the 1970s and 80s. I think I'm right in saying that you couldn't buy a new one now if you wanted one. K.C is right in that the tool you use the most is your favourite, but you would be hard pressed to rip multiple long lengths of material with a hand saw of any type with accuracy. Take spars as an example.

It all depends on what you want to use it for. If you are just making ply formers and the like, use a hand saw. As for safety, well I'm sort of attached to my fingers and I find a band saw much safer to use than a table saw which will take a finger off before you know you've lost it.

26/11/2013 08:58:54

Jimmy, I've worked with band saws for many years. Get a small a small 2 wheel band saw you'll find it invaluable. The three wheel models are generally very poor, I think that's the technical term is crap.

Provided the blade is set correctly, it will cut straight lines, inside and outside curves with accuracy all day with little effort, the cut edges needing little in the way of dressing if you use the right blade.

Thread: Shelving
23/11/2013 12:55:52

I don't think you can ever have enough shelving in a workshop. I've lined some of the walls of my garage with these galvanised units from IKEA and, for the money, very good it is too. It's not as robust as some you can buy, but when it's screwed to the wall it's solid enough.

LINK

Thread: New Shed
23/11/2013 09:09:35

Olly,

I hate to say this but not taping those plasterboard joints is a mistake that will show itself sooner or later. Plasters don't do it to pass the time. Short of skimming the wall again, however, I'm not sure there is much you can do about it now.

Thread: Biggles' Mess (the renamed cafe!)
22/11/2013 14:36:04

Sorry to hear about your wife Bob. I can't imagine what you are through, but I hope the camaraderie on this forum will help in some way.

Thread: The Tinker bi-plane hangar
21/11/2013 11:30:35

O.K. I was comparing it with other similar DB designs like the Tyro series where the sheet balsa sides, in your case 1/16",  are the full profile of the fuselage including the cabin and the 1/4 doubler, which you called the cabin side, was glued to the inside of it

Edited By Colin Ashman on 21/11/2013 11:31:00

Edited By Colin Ashman on 21/11/2013 11:31:31

21/11/2013 09:27:25

Perhaps I'm being a bit dim, but I don't understand why you have cut away the fuz side to expose F4 and the doubler between F3 and F4. I noticed it in your earlier photos. Is it something you are going to add later?

Thread: Biggles' Mess (the renamed cafe!)
20/11/2013 17:41:45

I understand the Police are going to target bad drivers. That's a bit sexist isn't it?

Thread: Wireless Security Alarms
15/11/2013 22:32:08
Posted by IanN on 15/11/2013 17:37:19:

Us too. Looking to replace on old wired system. The one we've been looking at is here

**LINK**

I think I'm right in saying that the Yale systems need to have the siren and the key pad connected to 240 volt supply, so fitting them is not so convenient as the Response systems where the siren is solar powered and the key pad takes a battery. We had to change the siren re chargeable battery once in ten years and only two PP9 in the key pad in that time I think.

15/11/2013 13:20:25

We've had a Response wireless solar powered alarm on our house for about ten years, which has been trouble free until a problem in the siren itself forced me to replace it with another system from Response operating on the more up to date frequency of 868MHZ.

So what you might say! Well it reminded me how easy these systems are to fit and that the main advantage they have over wired alarms is that additional PIRs and door/window detectors are easily fitted to a garage or garden shed/ workshop as long as they are within 150 meters. That I would say would be of interest to those of us whose second home is that refuge, from you know who, at the bottom of the garden.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
12/11/2013 12:22:14
Posted by Peter Miller on 11/11/2013 08:31:43:

I have seen some bodge ups and some really wierd things in my modelling career but this one takes the cake for engine mounting systems.

I am almost tempted to bid just to run it in my column.

Moronic engine mounting

"Needs attention" is the understatement of the year.

Thread: The Tinker bi-plane hangar
03/11/2013 16:42:24
Posted by kc on 03/11/2013 13:15:31:
Whatever way you do it the wing dowel needs to go in something strong or be bound to the former with wire. Good idea to drill dowel holes in balsa now using sharpened ( internally) brass tube of same size as dowel.
Also good idea to put tiny holes for the securing wire in the former now.

I think kc you are assuming the former F3 is ply. It isn't, its made up of balsa strips. I reinforced the inside of the doubler with a gusset of thin ply to give support to the dowel

Edited By Colin Ashman on 03/11/2013 16:42:45

03/11/2013 13:02:28

The construction as you can see is very similar. Perhaps this will helptyro major.jpg

03/11/2013 12:44:56

A similar construction is used on the Tyro major which I have just built. The doubler at the top of the fuz ( underneath the wing fits between F3 and F4, in the Tyro Major, and does not extend into the cabin area as you have done.

F3 is the full height if the fuz, and the fuz sides are cut to include the slope of the cabin. The doubler which fits between F2 and F3 can then be cut at an angle to accommodate the block for the windscreen to sit on.

Hope this makes sense.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!