By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dai Fledermaus

Here is a list of all the postings Dai Fledermaus has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Avoid Building a Banana!!!
23/11/2012 13:03:25

I Jig

I thought some newbie’s to balsa bashing and born again types like me might be interested in my world patented anti banana jig wot I knocked up, sorry made this morning.

Using the old centre line method it’s an old IKEA shelf I’ve been saving for sometime and some wooden blocks faced with balsa which has been stuck on with double sided tape. The blocks themselves are also stuck in place with double sided tape – it didn’t need anything fancier in the way fixings than that. Just position the fuz over the centre line, position the blocks either side and stick down.

You might just be able to see that the nose is raised so that the tail can sit flat, square as well as centered on the line. Yes, it’s not pretty but it worked a treat

I don't think SLEC will loose any sleep.

Thread: How do you cut Spruce sheet
20/11/2012 13:00:39

Sorry kc I have to disagree with you. It is simply not the case that a band saw will not cut straight enough for spars.

A two wheel band saw with a good blade which is properly set up will cut spars straight and true all day or until you run out of wood. You just need to use a fence. Yes you need to clean up the cut edge with a plane -a block plane is better because of the low angle of the blade, but you would need to do that with any saw cut be it hand or powered. I've used a band saw, a very ordinary one at that, to cut my own verneers so they are very accurate.

If any one is thinking of buying one just aviod the three wheel types they are often not very good

I agree Erfolg can cut his spars with a fine tooth saw in the manner described, but if I were him I would have bought them from SLEC as some one else suggested. After years of practice I'm quite good at cutting accurately on the waste side of a pencil line with a hand saw, but even I would get fed up after cutting one or two spars that way and that feeling of frustration would realy put off a beginner I would have thought.

20/11/2012 09:24:20

I know we’ve wandered away from the original question, but Dylan is absolutely right; a table saw, if you are not careful, will take your fingers off before you know you’ve lost them. A home made one would be bad news.

Can I add that as someone who retired from my own cabinet making business a year or so ago and still makes Shaker style rocking chairs as a hobby, I don’t understand everyone’s fascination with a table saw. I’ve said it before on this forum, set up properly with a decent blade, the band saw is much more versatile and user friendly machine for the average model maker. It would be perfect for cutting spars from spruce or plywood with accuracy. You can’t cut inside or outside curves on a table saw and I personally would not use one to notch formers or bulkheads to take spars or engine bearers for example. One slip and you’re mopping up the blood.

Also if you are as attached to your fingers as I am, then always, always use push sticks with a table saw and whenever you can with a band saw.

Cols

Thread: Enya SS30 R/C
16/11/2012 17:35:40

Well damm me, I checked EBAY this morning and didn’t spot that. Still, I’m not disappointed, Herself has been out most of the day, I’ve spent the time balsa bashing in the garage, and on top of that I’ve bought myself a bright shiny new motor. What else could a grown man ask for?

All I need now is for Wales to beat Samoa tonight to make it a perfect day.

Cols

16/11/2012 14:24:00

Christmas has come early.

Just thought I'd let you know that after some high powered negotation with SWMBO, I ordered an SS30 from Steve Webb today on the strength of your recomendation. Couldn't wait for a S/H one to come up on EBAY. Thanks again for your help.

Cols

16/11/2012 09:01:52

Thanks Mike and KC that's very helpful.

15/11/2012 12:47:16

On the Steve Webb web site ( sole importer in the U.K. for Enya ) they claim that the SS30 R/C " In several tests was proved to be more powerful than some 40 size engines on the market " Can this be true? Claimed power output is a fairly modest 0.7 HP

I haven't been able to find anything on line to support this and Enya themselves are not making this kind of claim.

At the bottom of the page they also say " Let the 35X make your flying fun " So I'm wondering how accurate this description is

Link

Thread: Ebay sellers...
08/11/2012 10:06:54
Posted by Bucksboy on 08/11/2012 09:52:12:

I've recently sent a message to the seller 987jill, who is selling several engines and all are desribed as 'Vintage'. I asked him why the Thunder Tiger GP42 was described as vintage when it was still availalble from the shops.

He replied 'BECAUSE I DONT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM'

In that case, why does he describe them as 'Vintage'?

Yep, I was the one who told her that the vintage Thunder Tiger she was listing was a SC36 and a current model at that by the look of it. Just because it's in a Thunder Tiger box don't make it a Thunder Tiger. Still there are people bidding on it who probably know what it is - I hope.

In her position I would have changed the description, so there is no confusion

LINK

Edited By Colin Ashman on 08/11/2012 10:10:45

07/11/2012 14:44:01

Here's an odd one. Why would anyone want one at £50 each, let alone two. Not much good without the rest of the DC8.

The other model aircraft he has for sale are nice though - at a price

Link

Edited By Colin Ashman on 07/11/2012 14:45:36

Thread: Enya Website Q&A
06/11/2012 12:29:32

Credit to Enya for translating their website into English, but their Q&A page does make me smile.

"Would stop the engine if you throw the throttle in the sky ?" Well, I suppose it would

Edited By Colin Ashman on 06/11/2012 12:31:38

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 06/11/2012 17:20:20

Thread: Starting a four stroke by hand
05/11/2012 15:07:51

In In the Autumn issue of RCM&E, Alew Whittaker wrote an interesting article about four stroke engines. In it he said "Youll probably struggle to start a four stroke by hand, so always have an electric starter at the ready".

Has this been your experience?

02/11/2012 23:06:28

I like this. The thought of his bench pulling away from the wall made me chuckle.

**LINK**

Thread: Which Engine do I buy for my TM
02/11/2012 14:46:29

tyro major.jpg

Hello again I need your advice,

I mentioned in a previous thread that as someone returning to the hobby after forty odd years, I'm building a Tyro Major from a plan by DB Sport & Scale. My problem is that I need to make a decision about which engine to buy before I can go much further with the fuz. The plan suggests 0.19 to 0.30 cu ins but the design dates from the early 1970's, and engines, I think ,have become more powerful since then. Also, I'm aware that this design can be a bit on the heavy side, if you are not careful, so I'm trying to keep it as light as I can. I see on previous threads, someone built one, years ago, which flew O.K. on an Enya 19 whilst someone else with an RM Trainer, another Boddington design and very similar to the Tyro Major, found it struggled to get off the grass with an OS 25 but he did admit he was inexperienced when it came to choosing the right grade of Balsa for it. Someone else said that his nylon covered TM with a 0.30 engine was the ideal trainer.

My budget is a bit limited and whilst I would prefer a four stroke, I'm going to have content myself with a two stroke. The ASP 25 or 32 from just Engines are in my price range, but which one should I buy? My gut feeling is to have a bit more power rather than a bit less and after all you do have a throttle to keep the speed down if it turn out to be quicker than the reactions of this 65 year old.

Cols

30/10/2012 10:00:27

What you see is what you get. Problem is you don't see much.

**LINK**

Thread: Internet instability
24/10/2012 16:32:36

One thing I forgot to mention. Leave your router switched on at all times even at night. Regularly switching off your router can make it look like your service is disconnecting and can reduce your speed. The exchange thinks your your line can't cope with higher speeds and lowers it automatially.

Cols

24/10/2012 14:34:05

If you are using the same ISP on all your PC's, it could be that they ( the ISP ) are the problem. I changed a few months ago from Talk Talk who were a nightmare to deal with, to PlusNet which has resulted in better and more consistant download speed, no noise on the telephone line as I had before, giving frequent broadband disconnections. Now I can stream Love Films without buffering. Wish I had done it sooner. I'm not saying PlusNet are better than all the others, but another supplier to the one you have now may just fix the problem.

Cols

Thread: Tyro Major v's Bushwhacker
18/10/2012 17:17:52

I want to build a Tonka Toy Type of Trainer, something with good flight characteristics to give a novice like me a reasonable chance of getting it airborne and back again without bending it – too much. I like the Super 60 look but that particular design will not fit into my car, an MGTF

After much huffing and puffing I’ve bought a Tyro Major plan from D.B. Sport and Scale. It’s a design from 1972 by, as I’m sure you’ll know, the late David Boddington.

I have to say, that except for the shape of the tailplane and fin, which is more Super 60, how similar it is in size, style and the way it’s built to the Bushwhacker by Alex Whittaker.

If you are thinking of building the Bushwhacker from a plan, don’t overlook the Tyro Major. DB Sport and Scale will also supply a set of wing ribs for £7.00.

Cols

Thread: Red tails on ch 5 now!!
13/10/2012 18:23:37

I don’t want to seem to be to picky chaps, but I’m surprised that no one commented on the Hawker Hurricane used in the background in one or two scenes, and the ground crew working on the Merlin engine of said Hurricane. Did the production team think no one would spot it?

Cols

Thread: Optimistic seller
06/10/2012 12:56:24

I admire this guys optimism, but why would anyone want to buy this motor when Just Engines sell them for £69.53 inc delivery and a warranty?

It's been said before on this forum but "Where do they get them from!!"

**LINK**

Thread: Alex Whittaker's Bushwacker
04/10/2012 18:44:10

Thanks for that kc, it's a big help.

Cols

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us