By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Delta Foxtrot

Here is a list of all the postings Delta Foxtrot has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Original Prusa i3 Mk 2 kit
25/02/2017 18:35:21
Trevor,

I built the y-axis today, a bit fiddly in places but not too bad on the whole.

The y-axis is not exactly silky smooth when pushed by hand, in fact it is a little stick-slip. I played around with the belt tension, which is a bit hit and miss, backing off a little did not make the action much smoother. I am not sure if this will be an isssue or not when driven by the stepper motors.

I would ve interested to know how yours compares.

Dave

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 25/02/2017 18:36:16

24/02/2017 20:19:15
Trevor,

It is an interesting challenge to work with new materials. I expect that a lot a parts will be relatively lightly loaded compared to the material strength in any direction, in which case the print orientation can be chosen to minimise supports etc. With higher stressed parts more thought is needed towards maximising strength.

I may make a bit of a start on the build tomorrow.

Cheers
Dave
24/02/2017 16:27:16
Hi Mal!
I did not notice any options on frame materials for the i3 Mk2.
24/02/2017 14:35:07
My Prusa kit just arrived via UPS.
24/02/2017 09:51:21
I found the video:

https://youtu.be/mziT7KV-fRI
24/02/2017 09:47:44
Thanks Trevor.

I found a really good video on YT which discussed printed part design with regard to strength. It was a neat looking vice design which you can also find on thingiverse. Basically you need to consider the orientation of the layers in the printed parts vs what type of loading it will see to get the most out of a given material. Printed parts will not be isotropic and tensile loads are best aligned along the printed layers. Common sense really, but a point well made by the video.

Cheers
Dave
23/02/2017 12:37:06

Sounds like you are cracking on with this nicely Trevor.

My Prusa kit is due for delivery tomorrow. l may take a while to build it due a bad back as a result of a fall I had last week.

Thread: Druine Turbulent wing dihedral
21/02/2017 18:41:56
Thanks very much Cuban8.
21/02/2017 17:33:50
Does anyone know the scale dihedral angle for the Turbulent?
21/02/2017 17:03:50
Trevor,
Good to hear that your Prussa has arrived. Mine was promised for the 28th Feb and has just been dispatched.

I have read that getting the y-axis aligned and square is a bit hit and miss. There is a neat jig for this on thingiverse but without a working printer it is a bit chicken and egg. I am wondering if I can make some sort of jig for getting this right.

Look forward to hearing your lessons learned.

Dave
Thread: Peter Miller Druine Turbulent, CG and Throws
20/02/2017 20:53:26
Does anyone know the scale dihedral angle for the druine turbulent?
Thread: 1/5th scale Supermarine S6b
27/01/2017 09:33:47
Posted by John Stainforth on 05/01/2017 21:42:56:

Again, thanks all for the great response. Although I have this family connection with this aeroplane, even without that I would regard it as one of the most important in the history of aviation. It represented the pinnacle of Schneider Trophy achievement that bridged the gap between the biplane era of the Great War and the monoplane era of the Second World War. Although the Spitfire was not a direct derivative of the S6b, the genius Mitchell and the brilliant team he built around him put all the expertise they gained in the Schneider years into the Spitfire. Which (just) allowed us to prevail in the Battle of Britain. Without the Spitfire and it's Schneider forerunners, how would the Second World War have gone? BTW, I don't think I am overstating this case.

Looks marvellous John, I will certainly follow your build with great interest. I have just started Ralph Pegram's book on the ST so it is quite topical for me.

Of course this is a wonderful, historic aircraft which was instrumental to the developments that you mention however, we must not forget that what was going on under the bonnet was equally important and instrumental in our salvation in WW2.

keep up the good work.

17/01/2017 12:33:36

No stopping you now Tony, great start.

Which CAD program are you using?

16/01/2017 22:24:00

Thanks Tony! Look forward to seeing how things develop.

16/01/2017 18:49:38
Posted by Tony Bennett on 15/01/2017 21:00:20:

well it is built and working.

only printed the test piece so far, but we managed it on the second try.

first try and the bed was too low and it did not stick well.

raised the bed by a fraction and it printed well.

ok the supplied cooling nozzle fell off and will need replacing, but it printed fine without it.

i am now printing a new fan nozzle to replace the supplied one.

so far it all is working well with no major problems to write about.

fingers crossed for future use.

Tony B

Nice to see you are up and running Tony. Is that a bar of soap? Are those holes in the layer? If so I guess a few more top layers would fix that.

14/01/2017 13:36:22
Posted by Tony Bennett on 14/01/2017 13:15:29:

nice designing work sir, i am still learning how to design for my printer.

The printer build has started this morning.

so far all is going well with no major problems as yet.

i will post some pics later if any one is interested.

Tony B

Definitely interested !

14/01/2017 13:34:34

Trevor,

This is an example from the FreeCAD tutorials. This shape starts of as a 2D stetch of a triangle with the top bit cut off ( the end view). It is then extruded into 3D and all of the other features are then added by additional sketches on the back face that are pocketed through or padded onto the original shape. I found this a great lesson which will allow me to create loads of stuff with relatively little experience.

capture.jpg

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 14/01/2017 13:38:53

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 14/01/2017 13:39:40

14/01/2017 13:22:57

Trevor,

I like the brackets and it sounds like we are thinking along similar lines. I bought some wooden magnetic blocks at the LMA event at Cosford last year and have started to use them on my latest build. Here is a photo showing my adjustable 2-rod wing jig system with the magnets at work. I have developed this a little more since the photo, but I am sure you get the idea.

I like to explore better ways of doing things whilst building and this approach is working well for me. The steel sheet slides in on top of boards of various heights to accommodate different wing rib depths, but larger and perhaps adjustable blocks would give even more flexibility. I can see this concept developing over time.20161227_180519.jpg

As for your question about modifying extruded parts in 3D CAD... I have only a weeks worth of experience in trying to learn CAD through the FreeCAD resources, but it is fairly easy to do what you describe in that software. There are a number of ways to do it, one way is to:

1. sketch the end view of the part in 2D
  2. PAD (extrude) into 3D
  3. select the face you want to draw the cut out on and draw a new sketch with constraints set.
  4. Pocket the shape right through (or partially through the original 3D shape.

Another approach is to create a second 3D shape to model the cut out you want and place this on your extrusion and then use it to create a cut.

Anyway as I said I am not expert, but I am finding FreeCAD fairly easy to learn as there are some nice tutorials on the website. I use the forum last night to understand how to mesh up models and the expert was really fast and helpful in solving my problems. I am sure that TurboCAD must be able to do similar things.

I look forward to sharing our experiences on this thread, I am sure we will get a lot of benefit from sparking ideas of each other.

cheers

DF

12/01/2017 22:40:48
Posted by Andy Meade on 12/01/2017 13:13:07:

Checkout the workshop / tools area on thingiverse.com - there's about 50 project I want to print there blush

It is great to have a resource of useful readily available objects to print out, I will certainly have a good look.. I am keen to learn how to design my own stuff as well using CAD so there is the best of both worlds.

12/01/2017 22:30:43
Posted by Ian Jones on 12/01/2017 12:45:01:

Haha DF, your hooked already!

Think I'll have to have a look at both of the programmes you mention.

Fear not regarding printing time, it's all relative, a simple little horn might only take10-15 minutes, I'm guessing you probably couldn't nip to your LMS and get one quicker. A whole aeroplane will take some time longer.

Same as any build really, size and complexity takes longer.

I think you are right I have thought about little else in my spare time. I am sure that the printing time will not be a big issue for small parts.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CADMA
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us