By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Delta Foxtrot

Here is a list of all the postings Delta Foxtrot has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Civilian Coupe (1932)
13/11/2016 22:18:04

Nice subject Tim And glad to see you have the crayons out again.

I will be following this with interest, always good to see how you tackle design challenges.

Thread: Destiny, My new design.
12/11/2016 22:19:11
Posted by Maurice Harvey on 05/11/2016 18:59:33:
Posted by Peter Miller on 05/11/2016 10:54:23:

Colin.

Yes, there is my standard 2 degrees of washout. Ithas worked perfectly on five model with ellitical wings so far.

The wing is designed on Compufoil and is created to the "That looks about right" method. In fact I used the jezebel wing and stretched it here and there to get the size I wanted..

In passing, When Mitchell was asked by his staff what shape the wing should be his answer was "I don't care what shape it is so long as we can get the guns in." so the elliptical wing credit goes to someone else.

L.P.Pete

Well there are a lot of 40 Surpasses around still and not too expensive. SC do a .52 which is a great engine.

Mass build? Somehow I don't think that there are enough masochists around for that but you never know, modellers do tend to be masochistic at times,

Peter,

You are quite right when you say that the credit for the spitfire wing belongs to someone else. His name was Beverley Shenstone,1906-1979, a Canadian who was part of R.G,s design team. But, I expect that you already knew that Peter.

And almost certainly Shenstone got the concept of the elliptical wing from his time working in Germany in the 1930's. The advantages of elliptical loading were first recognised by Ludwig Prandtl and his colleagues at Gottingen at the turn of the last century.

Thread: LIPO charging bags - are they any use ?
18/08/2016 12:33:51
Posted by Chris Freeman 3 on 18/08/2016 09:49:36:

I lost my house to a lipo fire nearly 3 years ago when a 2 cell 2200 mih receiver pack let go in my sons brand new 100 cc aircraft that he had just been sponsored. Do not under estimate the potential fire risk of a lipo! The biggist advantage of LIPO bag is the fact that it is not being charged in the airframe which is what my son was doing at the time. I fly plenty of electric aircraft of all sizes even after the fire but make sure that I am around when charging, now that the charger and lipo are good and double check charge settings whilst charging and also check the monitor the cells whilst on charge. I wrote an article on the experiences for another magazine but they have not printed it in 2 years!

Really sorry to hear about your house Chris, hope no one was hurt and that your insurance covered this.

I take the view that low risk but high consequence merits taking certain precautions. I have no garage and charge my batteries in the house, but always keep an eye on them. I place the chargers and batteries in a large ex German army shell case, if I had a hint of a problem the lid would go on and I would take the lot outside.

It is not just the fire that it an issue, but the toxic fumes generated by LiPo fires are horrible and would take a long time to ventilate.

Thread: Electric Power Train
15/06/2016 23:09:55

The Gibbs guides are very good introductions to this area

**LINK**

Thread: Rcm&e and traditional building
13/06/2016 19:52:33

I too have cancelled my subscription, but I will buy the odd issue after reviewing in WH Smiths if there is a good plan or article that interests me.

I empathise with the summary made by Peter Miller. For me personally there are too many reviews of ARTFs and relatively little aero modelling content. I spend more time reading aeromodeller despite the fact that it does not have a lot of RC content.

Thread: Transfering fromplan to balsa
04/06/2016 12:13:39
Posted by Cuban8 on 03/06/2016 11:34:34:

An all in one printer/scanner/copier is an absolute boon when building from anything but the simplest plan. Fifty or sixty quid well spent. Makes accurate templates in minutes.

As above and I also use this stuff a lot for tracing parts and drawing up plans:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gateway-Layout-Tracing-Draft-Technical-Drawing-Paper-Roll-90GSM-1016mm-x-20mtrs-/130977558338

I have a roll which looks set to last many years

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 04/06/2016 12:16:27

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 04/06/2016 12:17:30

Thread: Mixing brushless motors, ESCs with water!
25/05/2016 20:24:01

Just an update on the progress of this project.

The project is proceeding very nicely and there is a website and Facebook page for any one interested.

**LINK**

I have done aero design work on a bespoke propeller as well as assessing the likely performance of off the shelf props like the APC series. We have done tests on a scale model and just started tests on a full size prototype boat and the initial results look encouraging. The detailed measurements of boat drag vs speed and propeller performance on the full size boat will start in a few weeks, but the initial trial/shakedown shows the boat speeds vs pedalling cadence and perceived level of effort are in the right ball park. The boat cruises in the 4 to 6 mph region and has hit 9.5 mph. I am sure the performance will. Be improved with the development work planned.

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 25/05/2016 20:32:36

Thread: Stunning Spity pics
20/05/2016 19:22:42

Wow! Amazing pictures, I really like the photo of PoD in the RR spitfire, what a close up.

Thread: Flying air board
02/05/2016 19:32:33

Amazing! I loved the elephant video also.

Thread: I'm the real thing, you're just playing at it, he's a danger to us.
26/04/2016 12:48:14

I think the great thing about the hobby is the broad spectrum of disciplines involved, from aerodynamics, designing, building, assembling ARFT's flying, repairing etc. It is up to the individual how many or few of these they care to indulge in and enjoy and I do not judge people for their choices.

I have to say that I believe aeromodelling is the discipline of designing / building model aeroplanes and flying them is a distinct activity. That is my personal view and I do not think less of people who only fly ARTF's as many of them are far better fliers than I will ever be.

Thread: Classifieds (Misty Levesque snr)
18/04/2016 18:33:18

I have just received a similar email from this person.

I judged it to be a scam based on the illiterate wording and unlikely name.

Thread: Scratch building, or is it?
13/04/2016 21:44:41

I think the flaw was in your interpretation, but no matter.

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 13/04/2016 21:16:20:

Posted by Peter Miller on 13/04/2016 21:08:13:

Personally I would say that Scratch Building is building from the raw materials. I would include building from a plan. This mean scourcing thematerial, marking out, cutting out the parts and building the model. |It doesn't make any difference if it is scale nor not.

The suggestion that one cannot include scale models because the original shape is already there is absurd. The only thing already done is the external shape, the internal structure is different anyway.

I agree Peter.... my point about scale models was to highlight a flaw in a previous definition which seemed to demand ALL design work had to be original which on a scale only the internals can be original

13/04/2016 18:14:12
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 13/04/2016 12:59:09:
Posted by Delta Foxtrot on 13/04/2016 12:19:15:

My definitions for what they are worth:

Drawing up and building from your own plan: scratch build.

Starting from a plan: plan build.

Starting from a kit: kit build

Assembling an ARTF: assembly.

I am sure there are other shades and that this is subjective, but the words ought to describe what is involved in the process of making a model aeroplane.

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 13/04/2016 12:19:35

In that case there is no such thing as a "scratch built scale model" as the external shape, wing planform and tail surfaces and moment arms were planned by the original designer

For me - this "definition" works

Scratch building is the process of building a scale model "from scratch", i.e. from raw materials, rather than building it from a commercial kit, kitbashing or buying it pre-assembled.

I don't agree that my definition precludes scale models at all.

13/04/2016 12:19:15

My definitions for what they are worth:

Drawing up and building from your own plan: scratch build.

Starting from a plan: plan build.

Starting from a kit: kit build

Assembling an ARTF: assembly.

I am sure there are other shades and that this is subjective, but the words ought to describe what is involved in the process of making a model aeroplane.

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 13/04/2016 12:19:35

Thread: Poor Ron
03/04/2016 14:16:53

I thought he was trying to commit suicide by slashing both wrists simultaneously at the start of the video

Thread: Caption time again!
22/03/2016 17:12:48

You're gonna need a bigger elevator!

Thread: Craig's first build Ballerina
02/03/2016 12:38:05

Every plan I have shows balsa formers with the grain across the fuselage width. Perhaps someone should tell the RCME draughtsman, to be fair I think most plans I have seen are the same.

Given the number of models that Peter has designed and built, I would follow his advice on these matters. I suspect that once the fuselage sides are in place it will have adequate strength in either direction.

01/03/2016 22:04:58

Not according to the plan on Craig's wall, see a few posts up.

01/03/2016 18:52:54

I think you want the grain in the other direction on your formers, that makes it stronger laterally and less likely to break like that one did.

Thread: Rules of thumb for electric flight
15/02/2016 16:50:52

One correction:

Power is proportional to N^3 and D^5 not D^4

Thrust is proportional to N^2 and D^4

where N is rotation speed and D is the diameter.

Edited By Delta Foxtrot on 15/02/2016 16:51:40

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CADMA
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us