By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Michael Ramsay-Fraser

Here is a list of all the postings Michael Ramsay-Fraser has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Six Nations Rugby Union 2017
27/02/2017 08:18:13

Any thoughts on the EJ comment that 'this wasn't a game of rugby'?

I've given my thoughts on EJ coaching skills and comments and feel this is another incident where his off the cuff comments don't do him any favours.

Italy played the rule book and England suffered in confusion as a result.

26/02/2017 20:59:23
Posted by Donald Fry on 26/02/2017 20:08:22:

But as Steve Redgrave said, today we crush dreams.

I think I remember you using this quote during the World Cup, Donald wink

26/02/2017 20:59:22
Posted by Donald Fry on 26/02/2017 20:08:22:

But as Steve Redgrave said, today we crush dreams.

I think I remember you using this quote during the World Cup, Donald wink

26/02/2017 17:56:27

Now looking forward to the Calcutta Cup game with a bit more hope. Having said that, that result might buck England up.

26/02/2017 15:53:25

How many steps backwards was that ??surprise

25/02/2017 22:59:21

Don't get me wrong, I think EJ is a great coach and he's done wonders with England. I just think comments about dressing rooms, lambs and daffodils belittles him. He's good enough without having to resort to snide remarks.

Re the Calcutta cup game, despite my best wishes, I think England will prove to be too strong. Scotlands scrum will be in for a very hard day. Bear in mind that Scotland have gone through the tournament without their first choice props.

Having said that, I think Scotlands back line is more creative and that may even things out.

However, I woke up today thinking Wales by a couple of points so what do I know.

25/02/2017 18:44:07

I do hope not. Whilst I appreciate EJ skills as a coach I don't think his confrontational remarks have a place in Rugby. His lack of respect of the Welsh prior to the game was unnecessary.

25/02/2017 17:51:09

I'm not convinced Gattland is the best choice either. We'll see when the team is announced. I wouldn't be surprised if he relied on the bulk of the team being Welsh again.

Thread: Learning to play guitar
21/02/2017 12:38:45

There ain't no substitute for practicesmiley

IIRC, when I was teaching myself, I'd spend at least 2 hours a day, every day, at it.

Keep going, all of a sudden, it will click and everything will become so much easier.

21/02/2017 11:27:45

I taught myself to play many years ago and got reasonably proficient without any instruction. I tend to play a finger picking blues style but have now probably forgotten more than I know.

I taught myself from various books that were about at the time but if I was starting now and wanted to learn by myself, my first port of call would be youtube. There are literally hundreds of excellent videos for new guitar players covering a variety of styles. Browse through them and take your pick of the ones you feel comfortable with.

Oh, and buy yourself an electronic tuner. There's nothing worse and more likely to put you off than an out of tune guitar.

Thread: Time to change car
18/02/2017 08:50:11
Posted by Rich2 on 18/02/2017 08:34:43:

Posted by Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 17/02/2017 20:18:31:

I'm sorry but admitting to wanting to own an estate car is tantamount to admitting your life is over and you have nothing to look forward to.

Easy answer, buy a sports car (the new Alfa is nice), fit a tow bar. Buy a trailer. Job done.smiley

Percy is clearly not a petrol head!wink

I am and have had a couple of Alfas, however, your advice is not very practical for a family man! And please do not compare the MX5 (hairdressers car!) with a spider! wink

The use of trailers seems to be quite common in the US, and I do like the idea, however, storage would be a major problem for me.

Edited By Rich2 on 18/02/2017 08:35:57

Sad but true, Rich.

Irrespective of the choice of car, I was simply trying to suggest that a smaller car and trailer combination might be an option, I thought I was being lighthearted about it but appeared to have ruffled a number of feathers.

I make the point because I changed from a large 4x4 to a much smaller one. A Panda Cross, in fact and, surprise, surprise, and contrary to (apparently) perceived wisdom is 100% reliable and can go many places that even my old HiLux couldn't.

The lack of space, however, was problematic and overcome by the addition of a trailer to the fleet. I appreciate not everyone can readily store a trailer but it works for me.

I do actually have an open top sports car too (along with a couple of classic GT's restored by myself) and a bald head.

If it came to a choice between it and an estate, I know which one I'd rather be in.wink

17/02/2017 21:41:02
Posted by Percy Verance on 17/02/2017 21:28:19:

Well Michael, I'm afraid I'd beg to differ. I'd rather walk than buy an Alfa Romeo. In fact if you bought one, you'd almost certainly end up walking at some point, such is their somewhat tarnished reliability record. Indeed, it might be fair to say that most Italian produced vehicles have a less then good reputation here. Sure, they're better than they once were, but they don't clock up big sales in the UK.

It was just an example, Percy and irrespective of reliability or lack of, the new Spyder is a very attractive car at least to my eyes. It should be reasonably reliable, though. It's built by Mazda, after all.

Don't like the Alfa? Get an MX5. Basically the same car

17/02/2017 20:18:31

I'm sorry but admitting to wanting to own an estate car is tantamount to admitting your life is over and you have nothing to look forward to.

Easy answer, buy a sports car (the new Alfa is nice), fit a tow bar. Buy a trailer. Job done.smiley

Thread: Amazon flying warehouses
30/12/2016 08:38:44

This would make camping out near the warehouse difficult.

Temporary Christmas staff at the Scottish warehouse near Dunfermline had to resort to camping in the woods nearby to avoid the punitive transport deductions to their wages which would have seen their pay fall well below the minimum wage.

Thread: Kit builders, what would you like???
14/12/2016 10:18:52

My feeling is that a large part of the problem is the lack of skills attributed to guys below a certain age. I, probably like most on this forum, am of an age where I learned (from my father) how to fix things. Most men under 40 can't even change a plug these days and why would they when every appliance comes with a new one bonded on. How often do we here about people struggling with flat pack furniture? If someone can't even put together a bookcase from Ikea, what chance is there of them successfully completing one of Richards kits? Absolutly zero.

The skills that trad builders have started with Airfix and Keil Kraft kits and expanded from there. Along the way, we've developed other skills (restoring classic cars, in my case) that have helped us through life. Plumbing, re-wiring, building and a host of other skills are probably things most of our forum users are familiar with or know someone who is.

Sadly, anyone under 30 is of a mind to throw something away if it doesn't work and buy a new one. If something in the house doesn't work, call an electrician or plumber.

The sad fact is that many people under a certain age just don't have the ability to think through the processes of building anything more complex that your average ARTF. There simply won't be any demand for kits in the very near future (very sadly, in my view) and the only self builds that we are likely to see will be by 'model geeks' doing scratch builds.

Thread: A Bit of a Heads Up
07/12/2016 14:52:51
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 07/12/2016 11:29:11:

One thing that occurs to me Dave - how would a legitimate parking company or transport agency get your email address from a car registration? These only ever get postal contact details, never email!

Thanks for the heads-up though, flag them up as spam straight away!

I'm not sure if it follows but when I tax or SORN my cars online, I get a confirmation email from the DVLA so I would presume a link exists between a registration number and the owners email address.

Knowing the DVLA's notorious lack of security and ability to sell on information, it wouldn't surprise me if the scammers had just bought the details.

Thread: Another crackpot drone idea or a good idea
23/11/2016 08:21:25

Seriously! Are we now so scared of driving down a dark, unfamiliar road at night (particularly in a large 4x4) that we feel the need to have a fleet of drones lighting the way. How stupid.

Thread: Drone near miss London
17/11/2016 20:50:06

Thanks, Gary.

Must download.

17/11/2016 17:08:36
Posted by TinPot Pilot on 17/11/2016 09:54:50:

Allegedly a DJI Phantom has been flown to 11,000 ft so 4,900 ft is now feasible . Story here.

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs and whether it actually did reach that height, that's a great bit of music in the video.

Anyone know what it is??

Thread: What type of wood do I use to repair a fuse?
14/11/2016 15:23:55

and I was about to say wood is non-conductivewink

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us