By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for onetenor

Here is a list of all the postings onetenor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Welded aluminium switchbox
30/01/2019 06:02:46

I first used aluminium solder back in 57/8 when i crashed my heavy combat wing. This broke the nose off my Javelin engine.. I brass wire brushed the area round the joint then with the crank in place heated it on mum's stove and applied the stick which ran round the joint fairly well. Filed it a but to even off. Then to ensure airtightness smeared Araldite thinly round the area. The result wasn't too bad and the engine runs well today.I can't recall the brand now but it was new back then. However check out this page.

P.S. I still have some of the original rods but can't get to them just now to tell what they are.

Thread: Wing walkways
30/01/2019 04:43:07

I have seen edging/binder/hemming tape doped or varnished on. Ironed flat first If IRC it has a patterned weave ( Herringbone?) but very thin fabric.

Thread: Martyn's Chippie RCAF 671
29/01/2019 04:00:49
Posted by Martyn K on 05/01/2018 15:38:23:

Thanks Gordon

That's a really useful source I hadn't seen before

Trainer Yellow (RAF & RCAF)

9 parts Dark Yellow (H49)

7 parts Yellow (S)

3 parts Antique (J)

2 parts Dark Red (S)

That would be 21 pots of paint! Probably enough to paint the model with enough left over for repairs and possibly build another one

I would need black and white as well. I'll work out what it would cost but I suspect that expensive may be the answer

Martyn

MARTYN Tinlets are only 14 mls so not really a lot of paint.. But Trainer yellow and Insignia yellow are available ready mixed, The original Cub Yellow was more orangey and just about a match for trainer yellow. It was changed because the pigments used were poisonous. They could have added a drop of dark/deep red to achieve the colour required but for some reason decided not to do so. Therefore Trainer Yellow is richer then Cub. P.S. you could of course just mix half a tin of each at a time.I'm sure you could find uses for the remainder. Other models etc. John.

29/01/2019 04:00:47
Posted by Martyn K on 05/01/2018 15:38:23:

Thanks Gordon

That's a really useful source I hadn't seen before

Trainer Yellow (RAF & RCAF)

9 parts Dark Yellow (H49)

7 parts Yellow (S)

3 parts Antique (J)

2 parts Dark Red (S)

That would be 21 pots of paint! Probably enough to paint the model with enough left over for repairs and possibly build another one

I would need black and white as well. I'll work out what it would cost but I suspect that expensive may be the answer

Martyn

MARTYN Tinlets are only 14 mls so not really a lot of paint.. But Trainer yellow and Insignia yellow are available ready mixed, The original Cub Yellow was more orangey and just about a match for trainer yellow. It was changed because the pigments used were poisonous. They could have added a drop of dark/deep red to achieve the colour required but for some reason decided not to do so. Therefore Trainer Yellow is richer then Cub. P.S. you could of course just mix half a tin of each at a time.I'm sure you could find uses for the remainder. Other models etc. John.

Thread: Hinging with Solatex
28/01/2019 08:38:29

Peter The true clothes horse hinge attaches to alternate surfaces at both ends I.E, over and under but you have a "sold" tab with flaps if I follow you correctly. Do you insert that into the fixed surface a la a plastic hinge.? If so why not just introduce a glued double tape into both surfaces? or have I missed something?

Thread: Soldering u/c wires
28/01/2019 07:26:55

As a plumber I used YORKSHIRE self cleaning flux It is brilliant stuff but I still pre cleaned the metals first with my plumbing scourer. As a heat source these days I use a mini torch or a soldering gun. Always use a heat mat to shield areas in line with the flame from the torch or heat gun. It's surprising how far the heat projects. When using salvaged wire make sure to remove the lacquer from it .Either scrape it or use meths.thinners. Florists wire ( soft iron ) is also good for binding too. Draw it through sand or wet/dry paper first to clean it to bright metal first. The flux is available from any plumbers supplies shop or B&Q Screwfix etc.as also is the solder I use for this but only cause I have plenty. Just cut small bits off the stick or hammer it thin for ease of use. Mini blow torches are available from Bang Good Plumbers solder is what I meant to say I use.I kept getting the blue censors pencil wiping out words. A PITA when that happens.. If you want a solder that's a bit harder but don't want to use silver solder for fear of de-tempering the wire There are some "soft" solders with a silver content. See super Tigre's posting.. Need just a little more heat .

P.S. Wash joint after YORKSHIRE flux too to be on the safe side.

Thread: Rib Moulding
25/01/2019 21:46:23

I have a pair of wings that should clip/align with moulded ribs at C/S. One rib is missing. I want to cast a new one using the remaining rib as the form. But what can I use to do it? Ideas????

Thread: Chisel Headed Scalples
25/01/2019 18:11:29

Have a look on Swann Morton's site. Formerly a shopping partner on this site. They have all the blades you will ever need including saws.

Thread: Blackburn B2 - a 30's bipe with a whole lot of shiny bits!
25/01/2019 16:12:41

The blue paint looks like Florida green or Ice blue BMC car colours . Or maybe IRIS blue.

Thread: PVA and Balsa sawdust.
25/01/2019 00:41:37

Water and heat also works on wooden baseball bats. Damp cloth a hot poker in my case.

Thread: How long have you been in the hobby?
22/01/2019 21:13:42

Since about '48 I'd been making /trying to make cardboard and matches planes. Dad bought me an all balsa stick rubber plane . It did fly , This whetted my appetite and went through all the Jasco types of gliders and rubbers I could. Then various all sheet kits. About age 9 I struggled solo through a KK Hurricane. Only tissue I could get was what the bakery had to cover bread when sold Dead heavy .Flew like a brick but was recognisable. I then did a chippie which turned out very well covered with light Modelspan stuck on with flour paste with drop of bleach in to stop mould. I then bought my first engine. Allbon Javelin 49/11d. this led to c/l and ff power then R/C and the rest is history. Time to date 70 yrs.P.S. The Javelin still runs well despite having to solder the crank nose back on using mum's stove

Thread: MARGARET
21/01/2019 21:34:19

Due to a few requests this link will show Margaret on our wedding day.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=288266155345370&set=a.101092974062690&type=3&theater

Thread: Lidl Sander
21/01/2019 05:43:10

Loose nut? Pick up the machine and turn over. Voila the nut drops out. Run some glue of choiceon it Then usibg forceps /long nosed pliers put back in place and fit the bolt and screw it tight. Allow to dry. Simples.LLoyds ,Boots etc sell plastic forceps cheaply.Also useful for other modelling jobs too..P.S. if you know any district nurses they may let you have some used ones. Local chemists may have them too. As I always say ASK They can only say yes or no.

Thread: What WOT 4 (ARTF electric)?
21/01/2019 03:19:10

Surely moving the CG back increases nose heaviness or did I miss something?

21/01/2019 03:19:09

Surely moving the CG back increases nose heaviness or did I miss something?

Thread: Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed
21/01/2019 02:33:19

There is a click box on PP to claim return postage charges. Need to send them on line copy of postal receipt.

Thread: Le Glider Jet
21/01/2019 01:43:03

Great model brill camera work. Drawings look good to. What do you intend building it with?

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
19/01/2019 02:31:36

FB useful to keep in touch with remote friends and family

19/01/2019 01:18:06

Use the cursor to turn the link blue Ctr/Copy and click it into search bar Ctrl/V Then click on that and the link will open. Needs a steady hand.

19/01/2019 01:18:02

Use the cursor to turn the link blue Ctr/Copy and click it into search bar Ctrl/V Then click on that and the link will open. Needs a steady hand.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us