By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ace

Here is a list of all the postings Ace has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Carolyn Grace Spitfire ML407
18/06/2014 18:16:42

Signed thumbs up

David

Thread: Free Glue Grab Weekend
23/05/2014 18:59:25

Stick me in to please.

Thread: It's the grand pre-Xmas (better stuff than normal) giveaway!
20/12/2013 15:43:18

Please count me in Santa Ashby.

Thread: 3D Printing at the supermarket
31/10/2013 19:22:29

Don't limit your thoughts to just things made from plastic. Check this out metal is on its way, then the sky really will be the limit smiley

Thread: Futaba not compatible with Futaba/When is a bargain not a bargain
28/08/2013 19:25:31

Hi Graeme, Have you thought about one of these ? Ok you will need a receiver to match each TX but you can then remove yours once he is compedent to fly solo. Seems a much cheaper solution without any compatability problems, will even work with different makes of equipment. - Ace

Thread: Options for a first aerobatic plane!
17/07/2013 09:06:35

You won't go far wrong with a Wot 4, however you may wish to consider a Black Horse Travel Air. Cheap enough, open engine bay for a 46/52, 61" WS which is 9" larger than the ARTF wot 4 and fly's really well, I passed my B with one. Ace

Thread: UBEC
11/06/2013 10:56:45

I use a Vapex 3300 mah 4.8 in a Tucano running 7 futaba 3152 digitals and have no issues, plus have never got close to running the battery out even in a prolonged days use. Of course mine are sub c and although you don't mention what size yours are, at 3300 /4.8v they must be? Sub c due to their size and chemistry are good for delivering huge loads without significant voltage drop. If they are sub c then I can't see any problem.

Thread: F/F conversion to R/C
04/06/2013 15:52:12

I would also reduce the dihedral to say 1 1/2" under each wing tip otherwise the inbuilt stability will induce adverse yaw when you try and use the ailerons.

Thread: Which is your most practised manoeuvre?
04/06/2013 08:31:05

I continue to strive for a perfect stall turn with entry/exit from inverted and large circular outside loops(bunt), the heart stopping way towards the ground. Of course when conditions allow touch and go's on skis smiley

Thread: Recommendations on new 32 glow engine
24/05/2013 17:17:12

+1 for a new ASP/SC 32, 95% as good as a reputed "premium" brand but less than 1/2 the price thumbs up

£48 - £115 wink

Thread: Pay Pal ?
15/04/2013 08:54:21

I to get several of these, a visual clue it is a scam is the address "paypal@e.paypal.co.uk . It has an extra e. in the address.

Edited By Ace on 15/04/2013 08:55:10

Thread: How old are we?
19/03/2013 09:07:51

I turned 58 last week and had a brief flirtation with control line combat at school (plank + DC Spitfire), then returned at 50 when I gave up off-road Enduro motorcycle racing. Still snowboarding but my mind is still under the assumption I am still indestructible, however my body is not convinced. Hopefully the fingers will continue to obey my mind for many years to come.teeth 2

Thread: Weekend Giveaway
01/03/2013 14:08:22

Tight Yorkshireman turning down the chance if a freebie laugh

Thread: Vortex Vacforms
28/02/2013 09:24:30

Hope this helps other forumites in supporting an excellent small British manufacturing company. (I have no involvement with Vortex)

Many modellers seem to have difficulty in accessing the Vortex website as I did, so I managed to contact Steve and he gave me the following advice.

"I am told by my web hosting / supplier that the gold stats problem is a compatibility view issue.

When you click on the Vortex url and the page starts to load, in the bar at the top of your screen you should see a small square with what looks like a jagged line through it, if you click on this box it should turn blue, this should solve the problem.. i hope.. or at least this has worked for most other people."

I was using Window 7 and it worked, Vortex also opened first time in Chrome. Hope this is useful to others.yes

Ace

Edited By Ace on 28/02/2013 09:41:17

Thread: VQ Hurricane
14/02/2013 09:35:12

Looking good, no excellent thumbs up

Not sure if I missed it but reading through I couldn't see any reference to the etching/primer, paint or fuel proofer to seal the paint and detail. What did you use please? Thanks

Thread: Worlds smallest V12 Engine - Amazing!!
21/01/2013 09:12:01

Not a merlin but a WORKING miniature scale ferrari 318PB complete with flat 12 cylinder. 15yrs in the construction. Absolutely awesome.

Ace

Thread: Who's Brave Enough??
19/01/2013 20:40:34

JK - Thanks we are small and friendly bunch.

RP - Last time I tried Bruce Stenulsons ski link it was unobtainable sad which is a pity as it had lots of good stuff on it. His plane site is still up and running but no sign of the skis.

Although I used brass and soldered the torque rod in, one member used an aluminium block and a second grub screw to hold the torque rod which also worked.

Should be 6 - 8 of us up all on skis tomorrow so should be a great day.smiley

dscf0028 a.jpg

Saved carrying it up earlier today.

David

Edited By Ace on 19/01/2013 21:02:02

19/01/2013 09:30:12

RP - Brians idea works extremely well.

I have used it for a number of seasons so long as you use a 4mm screw on the axle to get the grip and no need for a keel which hinders ground handling. Next version the width will be increased to 3 1/2" as 3" just works in 8" of fluffy virgin snow. Fine in wet or compacted snow.

Heres how I made them link

Ace

Thread: The ski's the limit!
18/01/2013 10:59:19

Re the icing, some type of wax or furniture polish on the base should cure that as it breaks the surface tension preventing the very very thin layer or water caused by the friction between the ski and snow which freezes and sticks when you stop. Anorak I know I will get my coat.nerd

I also noticed you look to have swept back U/C, Have you considered turning it round to move you skis further forward thus reducing the leverage of the prop trying to pull down over the tips burying the engine ?

Roll on the weekend so I can get out and play as I am extremely envious looking at the video.

Ace

18/01/2013 09:37:01

Nice video Pete and some private airfield you have smiley

If your ski tips are digging in try longer ones which have the tips in front of the prop or these held firmer at a greater AOA on the ground to aid planing.

Great tip on updating the firmware in the key fob camera, always found not being able to edit a real pain - thanks thumbs up

Ace

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!