By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ace

Here is a list of all the postings Ace has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hinge pins
09/02/2018 15:29:02

How about breaking the plastic off map pins?

The squat broad plastic ones.

Thread: Good Stands for the Club
05/02/2018 18:42:40

+1 for the safety bench - our club has 2 and they are excellent. yes

We have added a small angled shelf on one side to rest your TX on and make sure the carpeted uprights are tall enough to take high wingers.

Ace

Thread: Rob's Grumpy Tigercub build
29/01/2018 13:43:21

Rob, put a drop of water on or better in with a syringe and then dry with your covering iron - should lift the ding out.

Thread: 2018 Mass Build Sign up Thread
24/01/2018 18:09:18

Just a marker to show that as one of the original voters for the GTC I have made a start.

Ribs cut 2 at a time buy tacking 2 sheets of balsa together with a glue stick (5 for £1 at pound shop) then sticking the photocopied ribs on. As the nacelles needed 4 balsa and 4 ply I made a 3mm MDF template to ensure they were all identical.

As mine will be almost standard except for twin aileron servos with the possibility that I may add flaps. I won't be doing a log as it will be just duplication.

Head says electric but my heart says IC and as this is effectively a trainer for one of Richards BF110 Warbirds (2 x .61 ASP) which is sat waiting in the box, it has to be IC with a pair if SC .15's.

gtc wing bits.jpg

Thread: Pickup truck front wheel
24/01/2018 07:57:55

A few years ago but still yes.

Before landing the pilot found that its front wheel got stuck and didn't come down while landing. So when he informed the control tower who planned to keep a truck in the place of front wheel, but the problem is while the front portion of plane falls on the truck it should not shake, and the other important point is that the speed of the plane and the speed of the truck must be same, otherwise the plane could slip down and cause an accident But one driver came forward to do this and he did accurately and saved all the passengers in the plane. Now you can enjoy the video.

**LINK**

Ok I believe it was a publicity stunt but done very well

Edited By Ace on 24/01/2018 08:10:12

Thread: Harrier Jump Jet- The aeromodelling Holy Grail !!!!
21/01/2018 09:05:16

"Awesome" doesn't do the achievement justice.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
17/01/2018 18:26:11

"I would be interested to know if you’ve tested this fuel?"

Ron - a quick search back will highlight quite a previous debate on Prosynth in Lasers with IIRC Jon expressing quite a strong view. wink

Thread: Making glossy film covering less glossy
17/01/2018 18:05:19

The area I have previously tested on which is usually out of site, is the wing area facing the inside of the fuz.

As Simon mentioned make sure you mask off well to prevent any overspray.

Thread: Cleaning gummed up Castor oil residues from engines
23/12/2017 11:11:42

Used boiling antifreeze a number of times and :-

A - Works really well

B - Toxic (outdoors only)

C - Stinks

D - now have very clean "silver" Irvine 53's

Thread: Christmas Caption Competition!
23/12/2017 08:18:41

New poster for "Gimbals R Us"

Thread: Does your club welcome multirotor flying?
22/12/2017 17:54:53

We are a fixed wing club with a single 60m TO/L circle, with no dedicated multi/Heli members. However if an existing member wanted to have a go its only by consent of those present.

Thread: Filler for balsa/woods
21/12/2017 09:53:17

As Jon mentioned - Polycell, "Advanced quick drying Polyfilla." And yes it does feel empty when you pick it up.

You can even mix in a little water based acrylic brown to tint it balsa in small batches.

Thread: Second oldest trick
17/12/2017 13:13:29

His skill is superb but its his banter that makes it great. yes

Thread: The 'DogFighters' Club
16/12/2017 09:10:09

"WoW" skeleton airframe in 3 hours- even if it took a day is quick - like it yes

15/12/2017 20:07:56

Cheers Tim for the reassurance. I could probably give most a good run in who has the most tools wins competition - its time that is in short supply and a short cut is always welcome if available.

My fav tool is a bench combi disc/belt sander.

Thread: Grumpy Tiger Cub by John.
15/12/2017 19:54:44

I know "cut " was a figure of speech but for clarity, just lift the plastic tab and remove the red wire from one esc plug and tape it back. You can then replace it later and use the esc as normal in another model enlightened

15/12/2017 09:36:49

Spoken to Sarik this morning and they are happy for me to pass on that a CNC kit is planed and should be available early to mid Jan, sorry no indication on cost.

Looks as though i will have to do it the traditional way over Christmas.

14/12/2017 19:39:35

"John, Sarik are producing a CNC kit of the Grumpy TC, in time for the 1st of Jan start date"

Has anyone any further details on the CNC kit such as when and how much? Only I don't want to invest a load of time transferring and cutting out a kit only to finish at the same time ones available crying

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
14/12/2017 19:21:30

Trebor, if you have or access to an ultra -sonic cleaner, you may find that will dislodge the internal crud faster.

Thread: Fuel Proofer ?
08/12/2017 17:19:02

2w - curious as to why you want to fuel proof the whole aircraft? Have you painted the whole airframe and need to protect it?

Only if you have used film or coloured solartex they are fuel proof, although tex can sometimes get grubby.

Another for clearcoat around the engine/tank and any other exposed wood such as wing seat etc.

Edited By Ace on 08/12/2017 17:20:07

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!