By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian101

Here is a list of all the postings Ian101 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Antonov AN124 Ruslan
22/01/2020 18:17:35

I have waited a long time to see how you approach something like this. Well worth the wait and look forward to see a flying video. Fantastic Simon.

Thread: Depron 134" Lancaster.
25/04/2019 20:15:52

Hi Ian.

I used Emax ES3104 analogue servos. At the time, I ran the specs through a servo calc and they came out as powerful enough. The plane will easily carry bigger, more powerful ones if you prefer.. So far I have had no problems.

I see you are taking your time with this build. Your last question was almost a year ago. It will be worth the wait and I hope when you start, you will post it on here. I think it is a good idea to try the power/prop combo to make sure you are happy with it. Also building with Depron before committing to a project of this size is wise as Depron is not everybody's idea of fun.

Can't wait to see some build pictures.

Ian

Thread: Flashing LEDs
29/12/2018 12:12:48

As promised:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECE0QitEe0Q&feature=youtu.be

29/12/2018 12:02:38

Try one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pffV-eWw_Nk

I removed the LED and run 3 smaller ones off one unit. Cheap and effective.

I will upload a video onto youtube and put a link on later.

Edited By Ian101 on 29/12/2018 12:03:12

Thread: Acrowot foam e new fuselage - What glue?
20/10/2018 20:04:53

I used UHU Por.

It is well documented about the poor battery access underneath. While it is still in halves, you might consider doing what I did or something similar. Makes life a whole load easier (and safer).

dscn6255.jpg

Some more images in my albums if of interest.

Thread: Anyone got an Acro Wot Foam-E fuselage for sale?
24/05/2018 18:30:07

While the fuselage is in halves, you could do what I did and convert it to a top loading battery. Easier battery installation and a whole lot safer, in my valueless opinion!

dscn6251.jpg

dscn6252.jpg

dscn6253.jpg

dscn6255.jpg

dscn6254.jpg

The answer to John's questions, I think I glued everything to one half with UHU por and then glued on the other side. I did it wet, not as contact adhesive and then taped it all together until dry.

The mod for the battery has the original battery cover glued in place, a ply stiffener going up to the motor mounting plate and a blue foam block for the battery tray. Glue everywhere I could get it and still has gaps around the foam for cooling.

I marked where the hatch was going to be cut before I glued the sides together, then cut it out last of all.

dscn6256.jpg

Loads of room for wires.

03/05/2018 22:44:32

Hi Ian.

I fitted one servo in the centre of the the tailplane. This has 2 snakes going off it, one to each rudder and a control rod to the sprung tail wheel for ground steering. The servo is an Emax ES3104

dscn6314.jpg

dscn6316.jpg

Regarding the power cables, I have also read loads on extending wires. I haven't put any extra capacitors on the esc's, and have had no problems.............yet! My Vulcan also has lengthened battery wires (about 600+mm) and as yet no problems. That has had about 20 flights of 10-15 minutes each. The decision is yours. If my Lancaster was going to fly every weekend, then maybe I would fit extra caps, but for the few flights it will have I didn't bother.

Regarding the wing tubes, I grossly underestimated what was needed for a plane of this size as described in the blog. Originally I used 10mm aluminium tubes glued into the wings, 10 mm tube glued into the fuselage and then 2 loose 8mm aluminium tubes which passed through all of them, about 1m long, or whatever the full length from B&Q was. This was nowhere near strong enough so I also added a 1" steel clothes rail tube which did the trick.I made some paper tubes in the wings, reinforced above and below with depron and put some blue foam in the fuselage between the outer skin and the ply reinforcing on the central box, both sides. The clothes rail is thin walled and not as heavy as it sounds and is also slides through on assembly. Clear as mud! The pics below show the original 10mm tubes with the 8mm inside them and then the paper tubes which hold the curtain rail!

dscn3838.jpg

dscn3934.jpg

One thing I overlooked was fixing the wing to stop it sliding off. The tube fits are all quite tight so I don't think they would come off anyway, but I put some blocks in the wing, some captive nuts in the fuselage and some screws diagonally up from underneath each wing. Not impressed with this but it works and when the wing is on it is hidden anyway. You can also see the blue foam for the clothes rail in the next picture as well as the front 10mm aluminium tube in the fuselage.

dscn6318.jpg

The front messy hole is for the power wires which I tried to keep away from the servo wires. I meant to tidy the holes up, but still haven't got round to it.

Hope that helps. Probably not the best way of building, but I learnt a lot of how 'not to do it' along the way.

Ian

01/04/2018 08:36:00

Hi Ian. Unfortunately I uploaded them through Photobucket who now want a large amount of money for 3rd party hosting (I think that is the term). I asked the moderators at the time if they would unlock the pictures for me so I could remove them and replace from my album file, but nothing came of that.

If you look in my albums, all the pictures are in there. (Click on the 313 photos under my avatar).

Hope that helps and good luck with your build. Please do a build log, I would be interested to see how somebody else goes about it.

Ian

Thread: Vickers wellesley
03/01/2018 20:33:21

Keep plodding Tony. It is looking good.

Thread: Pics from your free RCME plan build
03/01/2018 19:39:55

dscn6251.jpg

dscn6252.jpg

Sharkface.

Really quick build depron version. Needs a little tidying and finishing now I know she flies.

Used only what I had kicking around:- Thrust 30 motor, 2200mah 3S lipo, 10 x 7e prop, 16 ozs

Made wingspan 2" wider than plan because of extra weight due to grossly over sized motor & battery.

This thing is a whole heap of fun and massively over powered!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited By Ian101 on 03/01/2018 19:40:43

24/07/2017 11:56:20

After a year, finally got around to dropping the bombs.

Not sure why the video was a little juddery in places. 4S batteries are much better than the original 3S, being only warm instead of hot. Also get an easy 5 mins now.

Was a little too high for our very short grass strip on landing, dropped the nose and reduced throttle but didn't have enough speed or power on to level out, hence a large bounce. Pilot error!! Only damage was to the aluminium retract mounting plate.Straightened it out and she is ready to go again.

All of the pictures are in my gallery. Photobucket decided to charge $399 a year for embedding them here. I was going to replace them all, but I don't think the mods can unlock them all to allow me to delete and replace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRWa8dz1Rdk

Ian

Thread: ST Models Beaver - wing removal query
20/07/2017 18:17:01

From memory, remove hatch on top of wing, undo the flap control rods from servo arm, turn over and press the 2 clear plastic tabs down on each wing. The clear tabs hook over the edge of the white plastic strip which is fixed onto the wing.

Don't forget the servo wires!

Clear as mud. Fantastic scale flying float plane in light winds with an easy 15 minutes on 2200 3s.

Thread: Dynam FW 190
06/04/2017 19:56:30

My Son has one.

Looks good in the air and flies well. Not the fastest of planes, but flown well looks scale-like. Sounds good as well.

We changed the retracts for HK because 9 times out of ten, Dynam retracts don't work! Various threads on line about this issue. Once changed, no problems. Also angled the u/c forwards to try to stop it going nose over on landing.

4S 2700mah battery gives 7 or 8 minutes quite easily. We use a 800 mah 2s and UBEC for control. COG spot on with this set up with no extra weight to balance.

Check the motor screw on the shaft is tight before flight, his motor tried to come apart which resulted in a heavy landing immediately after take off with the gear still down. Some wing repairs needed after that!

Quite happy with it, but there are others out there which seem to have a better finish, but have not seen any flying.

Hope that is of interest. Don't usually recommend anything as everybody has their own ideas of what is good and what is not?

Dynam FW190

Thread: Foam tyres, homemade
09/02/2017 19:08:39

This is how I did it, using foam from Mick Reeves Models.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=102882&p=7

Hope that is of interest.

Thread: 68" Vulcan pusher flight controls question
24/01/2017 06:56:18

Sorry for not responding quicker, I was asleep!

My 80 " depron version is inner surfaces elevator only, outer aileron but I also have a rudder.

Thread: Show Us Your 3D Prints
15/01/2017 14:09:20

Thanks Ian and Andy.

I think I need a heated bed for ABS which I haven't got, so for the time being I will stick with PLA.

I have messed about with the layer height, but time is the problem at the moment. I bought TurboCad and am slowly finding my way around it. Again, time is the problem. Life is getting in the way.

I think this will be a long term project for me, but so far I am enjoying it.

26/11/2016 08:09:01

Can I ask what drawing packages you are using. I have been given a Printrbot which I am running with Cura.

I was thinking about about Turbo Cad 2D/3D from Maplins, but whichever I use needs to be pretty simple for drawing 2D stuff and for trying to do 3D for the printer as I have a very simple brain and my patience is limited!

All of those prints above look incredibly sharp and accurate. How much finishing have you all done to achieve that or are they straight off the printer. Below is what I have done so far, without messing about too much with settings, but I think a bit of experimentation is the next step. I read somewhere that pla varies between different manufacturers. Is this true and where is it best to get it from?

Ian

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
25/10/2016 11:09:50

Thanks Terry. Only flew for about 3 minutes as there was a very slight breeze. I think it needs no wind at all to really enjoy it. Just needed a little down trim, but otherwise a short but good maiden.

Having only built depron stuff, this proved to be a little fiddly, but enjoyable.

25/10/2016 10:38:06

Sig Demoiselle just after maiden flight this morning.

Thread: Help with info on Lipo batteries
23/09/2016 18:44:18

My lad has one. It has only had 3 flights so far but looks fantastic in the air and nice to fly. It is not too scale with its bigger wing tips, but makes it a lot less prone to tip stalling. I think the Freewing version is more scale, looks better but more money and more tip-stally! Anyway, he runs 4s 4500mah 45-90C Nano Tech batteries. 4 minutes max (need to be on the ground really at 4 mins) flying in a scale like manner.

We also changed the retracts because Dynam retracts are the most useless things on the planet!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us