By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Concorde Speedbird

Here is a list of all the postings Concorde Speedbird has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ferocious Frankie- Brian Taylor P-51
08/08/2018 18:37:33

Century Jet retracts from the states. Decent but no threadlock on any of the bolts so I will apply that myself.

Dry assembly of the real retract mount:

w004.jpg

And then I glued just the retract mount area to make sure it is right before the rest of the wing assembly is built.

w005.jpg

Thread: Wot 4 Squared
08/08/2018 18:33:40

Unfortunately the Wot 4 Pro has been crashed due to an elevator connector failure- subsequently ordered lots of connector locks. The wing is fine so I might build another fuselage for it at some point.

This one is looking decent though, needless to say this one would have survived the crash considerably better than the super light ARTF one

22.jpg

23/07/2018 21:19:01

Not much spare time today so just prep work for the wing build. I have two copies of the plans so one copy is cut up for build use, the other is kept clean.

w001.jpg

Dry assembly, all parts line up well.

w002.jpg

If you squint there is a Mustang wing there...

22/07/2018 19:55:18

I've been itching to get going on this one so I took a little break from the Wot 4.

I have been anticipating a geometric battle to get the retract angles correct, but using the rig it was actually very easy. The finished rig:rr014.jpg

Notch in the bearer for the shaft- note that significant reinforcement will be added on the other side of the bearer when put in the real wing.

rr016.jpg

I had to bring the bearers up 3/4" because the mounts are different to the retracts shown on the plan (which is a benefit because it adds more material in the ribs). Fits in nicely when retracted:

rr017.jpg

The wheel fits in the well- a slight bit can be seen here because I had not finished adjustment.

rr018.jpg

And wheels down looks very good. Looking at the Bentley drawings, rake might be a few mm too far forwards compared to the full size, but this is probably due to the rig being less accurate than the wing will be (and slightly forwards helps ground handling which is good). Please excuse the arm:

rr019.jpg

The legs are very heavy so I might be tempted to try and get some lighter ones at some point, we shall see. Now I can modify the real wing ribs and start building the wing, very pleased with this so far. I have not decided if I am going to try out RDS ailerons or have conventional connections. It would be nice to hide the connections...

Jacob

12/07/2018 21:57:01
Good evening,

Apologies for the silence but I have been on holiday and I am currently at RIAT. Back building next week.

Neil, I've used snakes simply because it is what I normally use and I had some spare. From my experience snakes work very well. I've also used pushrods and closed loop/push pull systems which also work well, so it is a case of personal preference. The stuff provided in the kit will be adequate (although I would reccomend metal clevices- I can't remember but I think the kit comes with plastic ones).

Trevor, a Laser 70 would be excellent. I'm only putting a Saito 62 in! Feel free to post your progress, it can always become Wot 4 Cubed.

I have flown the Wot 4 Pro many times including in very heavy winds and it has been sublime. Plenty of power with the 45S! I think the kit built one will be a bit smoother though.

Jacob
Thread: Tony's Concorde
02/07/2018 22:37:34

Hahahaha at least it isn't an A380!

Beautiful job- I am excited to hear how she flies.

Jacob

Thread: New- 2018 CONCORDE for 4x50mm EDF
02/07/2018 22:36:03

Very very nice and I am delighted there will be a plan- it would be cool to have the colour scheme of one of the prototypes, maybe G-AXDN due to the visor.

Jacob

12/06/2018 22:51:39

Minor update
It was looking like I was going to have to delay the start of this build due to a house move (hence lack of updates), but that is not occurring now so I can get going again!

Also, I have managed to acquire a BNIB Laser 120 from a fellow forum member. It's beautiful and it easily fits fully in the cowl, obviously cooling will need to be planned carefully.

pb3.jpg

Got all the important bits now. After my two week holiday and once I have done messing around with Wot 4s that are hogging the board, I can make a start on the Mustang wing (and continuation of the retract rig, getting these mounts right is going to be critical). What could possibly go wrong (don't make a list...)

Jacob

12/06/2018 22:44:23

The Wot 4 Pro with a Saito is now flying!

p17.jpg

p19.jpg

First flying session was on Saturday, in very light winds. In all honesty it flies pretty much as I anticipated- like a Wot 4 but better. The 20% weight reduction compared to a standard one (roughly) makes a huge difference in manoeuvrability and control feel. It is even more benign at low speeds too. I have got large control throws on it and it is fantastic fun, not as precise an aerobatic machine as the Wots Wot and knife edge has lots of coupling but it is still brilliant. The 45S is an excellent engine for this airframe, vertical straight from take off is easily achieved should you wish and I wouldn't want more power simply to keep the speed down on this weaker airframe. Flew it 5 times!

Today I took it out in breezy conditions which it handled easily, like all Wot 4s. I did lots of simulated dead sticks and you do notice the lower inertia with this light airframe- it just stopped when you turn into wind with no power- and in a way it is more difficult to land in a breeze than a heavier one because the darn thing just keeps flying! Easy to get the hang of though. This is the best Wot 4 I have flown and definitely worth the extra cost over the heavier standard one (but I strongly recommend modifying it for four stroke power!). This aeroplane is so forgiving that it can give you a false sense of security when switching to other aeroplanes- I've done crazy things at ridiculous angles of attack with this aeroplane and it just lets you do so.

So back to the Classic build. Strangely despite the Pro being so good, it has made me more excited for the Classic now, even though it will be heavier. It will be advantageous in some areas, such as in windy conditions, ruggedness and potentially knife edge with Foss' modifications in the Rudder area. I always enjoy flying ones I have built a bit more too.

20.jpg

Using this for the wing band. Good practice before the Mustang which will be entirely skinned in GRP. The Jenny brushes from East Coast Fibreglass are really good.

21.jpg

The weights aren't really necessary, just for confidence that it is flat. Top and bottom done now.

Jacob

07/06/2018 23:31:33

I think it will be fine, it's very solid even without any triangle reinforcement.

Decided to work on the Pro with the view of test flying on Saturday. Engine is on now, can't be bothered with the cowl at the moment.

p9.jpg

Inside, awaiting battery, receiver and switch (as well as a backstop for the fuel tank)

p10.jpg

Tail servos

p11.jpg

Aileron servos

p12.jpg

There's always time to put the big bits together

p13.jpg

p14.jpg

It is so very lightweight, about 4lbs with just the battery, switch and receiver left. Should be hovering into the wind easily.

Jacob

04/06/2018 22:57:50

Plenty done on the Classic today

Snakes for the tail controls inserted

14.jpg

Note the angle of the rudder snake for the angled rudder.

15.jpg

Top deck

16.jpg

I then decided to sand and glue the wing together

17.jpg

18.jpg

And the underside cross grain sheeting.

19.jpg

Very strong fuselage!

03/06/2018 21:28:08

All the standard ones are the same size. The MK 1 was a plan set with foam wings, and it had a different wing section to the later Wot 4s. 52" span and very rare.

The MK 2 looks similar to the MK 1 and was a kit. It had the now standard Chris Foss wing section and mildly modified fuselage design. It has now become ubiquitous thanks to the ARTF Wot 4s using this design. Standard size is the same 52" wing span, but of course Ripmax have released several different sized ones.

The MK 3 has a much modified fuselage with an enlarged tailplane, a rudder which is angled slightly backwards and extended below the fuselage (I believe to improve knife edge) and a more subtly curved fuselage in the undercarriage area. I've noticed my one is slightly wider than the ARTF MK 2 fuselage too. It also has a 56" tapered wing with new wingtips, but the fuselage is the same size as the other two marks.

The Classic is a MK 3 fuselage with basically the same 52" parallel chord wing as the MK 2, especially on mine because I am putting MK 2 wing tips on.

03/06/2018 19:55:11

Apologies I have had a busy few weeks.

On the Pro I have installed the tail servo mountings:
p7.jpg

p8.jpg

Thrilling. Slightly more interesting is the fuselage build on the Classic. This kit goes together very nicely, it is easy to build and high quality.

Undercarriage mounting:

10.jpg

Servo tray, with modification for the smaller HS225 servos which I use extensively (standard servo for the throttle unless I change my mind).

11.jpg

Engine bulkhead- note I have trusted Mr Foss with his use of 1/8" ply for the bulkhead (I normally use 1/4" ) but I will deviate from the kit by adding triangle stock.

12.jpg

A jig isn't necessary to build this aeroplane but I have used mine anyway to ensure a straight fuselage, and I am pleased with the result thus far. Looks like a Wot 4 and there is nothing wrong with that.

13.jpg

I have also cut 1/2" off the trailing edge of the wing for the super wide ailerons (interestingly they will now be the same size as those on the Pro ARTF, which are also enlarged) and glued the leading and trailing edge pieces onto the wing. Pictures of that would be even more dull than the servo mounting pictures.

More soon

Jacob

Edited By Concorde Speedbird on 03/06/2018 19:59:32

09/05/2018 22:10:09

Thank you.

Classic work comprised of cutting the mounting holes for the engine mount. I am using an adjustable engine mount should I want to change the engine in the future.

8.jpg

I couldn't glue the bolts in because I didn't have any suitable washers, which I will get tomorrow. I glued the firewall in on one side instead.

9.jpg

And with the pro, the dremel was used to let the engine sit in position:

p4.jpg

And I hinged the tail controls.

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

I think I might put diagonal struts on the fin and tailplane to improve rigidity and strength.

Jacob

08/05/2018 21:23:56

In the family we have had many Wot 4s over the year, all MK 2s. One of which was an original kit one which flew for 30 years across three generations. So I quite like it.

I have two Wot 4s on the go now:

• The ARTF Wot 4 Pro, the super-light one, but I am modifying it to fit a Saito four stroke. Should be the ultimate flying Wot 4 I have done.
  • The Chris Foss Classic kit, a mark of Wot 4 I have never done and I have always wanted to build one after the success of the old MK 2 kit. Saito 62 for this one- small but this lightweight combination has worked brilliantly on the original Wot 4, and you can mount the 82 on the same mount. Modifications will be the wide aileron option Mr Foss offers in the instructions and MK 2 wingtips.

So anyway, to business:

This is the new engine bulkhead on the Pro to fit the four stroke. Servos are going in the tail because it is horrendously nose heavy due to the fuselage being incredibly light.

p1.jpg

Only a 45S on this one but it is a very very light airframe and this is a pokey engine.

p2.jpg

And over to the Classic. Almost forgotten with the ARTFs these days- this is a really nice high quality kit that should build into a very strong yet capable airframe. Steve Webb got me the decals for the scheme below:

1.jpg

Fuselage sides, more shapely than the MK 2 that I am used to

3.jpg

I am going to change the wing tips to MK 2 spec because the swept MK 3 style wingtips have never appealed to me. This is how the kit comes:

4.jpg

And this is the MK 2 tip on the pro:

p3.jpg

So I chopped the end of the wings off square ready for MK 2 tips

6.jpg

Finally, these are the 1" spacers to set the bulkhead back for the four stroke (there are several spacer options, a clever design).

7.jpg

I hope you like wot you see... (sorry)

Jacob

Thread: Swift 82
16/04/2018 19:31:35

Thank you. Paul, it is an own design so I have the only set of plans.

270.jpg

So it's flown, and it's not bin worthy! Wind conditions were less than ideal with a 90 degree cross wind. In the air, the ailerons felt very nice, no trim required and good responsiveness. Basic aerobatics were easy. It did feel like the centre of gravity is too far back- a couple of times it tip stalled in the tighter turns. Fortunately it always recovered very quickly and positively with removal of elevator. Landing was way too fast knowing that the c of g was on the less stable side and that caused the undercarriage bolts to shear when it hit the long grass, but it did as I intended and therefore it is a simple 20 minute fix.

Sorry no video I was alone, I will try to next time.

I wasn't expecting perfection being a bespoke design, but I think there is promise since the controls did feel nice. It does seem to like flying with power on, probably due to the large fuselage. Once the C of G has been moved, which will hopefully increase the stability and stop the tip stalling, then I can make a better assessment of the low speed handling. I don't think the wind conditions helped either, especially on landing.

All part of the development- the important thing is that I still have an airframe! Next flight should be better.

15/04/2018 13:39:25

Thank you very much both of you.

Airworthy.

256.jpg

257.jpg

258.jpg

260.jpg

262.jpg

265.jpg

268.jpg

The canopy glue hasn't quite set (and I might put a black outline on it so it looks nicer) yet but it is strong enough. All systems are in and working, no weight required for the centre of gravity. I was worried about the all up weight when building it but it has turned out to feel quite lightweight which I am happy with. It's too blustery to fly today, but hopefully some time this week I will get a window.

It's very enjoyable building a model that I have designed and hopefully the flight performance will be good. Building wise, next I have a Wot 4 Pro ARTF which will be a quickie (Saito 62 power), a small aeroplane that my younger brother designed which won't take long and my Brian Taylor Mustang which will be a long one.

12/04/2018 20:26:50

Thank you very much

Controls have been hinged using my usual method of pin hinges roughed and then glued in with PVA. All connected up now:

250.jpg

251.jpg

252.jpg

254.jpg

I test ran the engine which was fine. I'll probably do the first few flights un-cowled for convenience.

04/04/2018 23:13:29

Indeed there has been! I have been quite busy but nonetheless the covering is almost done now. Might put some Saito stickers on it to liven it up a bit. Apologies for the awful lighting...

246.jpg

247.jpg

248.jpg

249.jpg

I'm going to mass balance the tail controls to reduce the servo load. Most of the weight is in the aeroplane now and pleasingly the centre of gravity is pretty much bang on and AUW is reasonable.

Thread: Stephen Hawking - RIP
15/03/2018 22:11:32

His work was incredible and ground breaking, as well as his will to live and learn. I'll keep on looking up at the stars like he did.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues