By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ronaldo

Here is a list of all the postings Ronaldo has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Good luck to the BMFA
08/06/2019 10:52:02
Posted by Engine Doctor on 08/06/2019 09:25:26:

I note that the number of responses received in the news article is 6000 ? That means that around 28000 BMFA members have decided to let their mates do the campaigning for them. Shame on any who have not responded and written to the out of touch authorities . Or are those 28000 lazy lot our problem flyers.

I know that many in my club have not bothered to respond even after repeated reminders from our club. It appears that many just roll over and give up. It was a good job our grandfather's didn't give up on "D Day".

Keep up the good work BMFA and good luck.

At first I looked at the figure of '6000' responses with disbelief, and thought surely it was a typo error, but yes I've read the same elsewhere. Where were all you other non-responsive modellers in our time of need ? Sadly in that case we are still surrounded by members who 'just do nothing' ! and leave it to others to take up the slack. It's been well publicised in clubs and our BMFA magazine, and website. It only took a few minutes to complete. I'm sure they must have had access to a PC to fill in the online response page, if not their own then a family member's or a mate's.

I've been a modeller for 50 + years, and others for even longer. For many of us it's been a labour of love, enjoying the hobby, and selflessly helping others along the way, much so that's it become a big part of our lives. So for those who still 'do nothing', and leave it for others to make the effort, if our great hobby goes belly up then you will have no right to complain afterwards !

Thread: So what is really the truth then CAA ?
03/06/2019 14:25:39

Found this shared on my club's FB website

**LINK**

Thread: Reichard Models
04/05/2019 11:24:22

Try Rich at www.t9hobbysport.com I've had a few gliders from him. They had 'Reichard' gliders in last time I looked on line.

Thread: Beware - Scammers
25/04/2019 08:50:46

Wise move. Best safe than sorry thumbs up

Thread: Holding screws in
22/04/2019 10:01:46

I solder steel nyloc nuts onto captive 'T' nuts. Sounds impossible I know, but it does work if you can set the soldering iron temperature just hot enough to melt the solder and not the nyloc insert.

I've used this method for all kind of fixings where vibration is an issue.

Thread: Hi I'm Laura
12/04/2019 22:25:13

Hi Laura.

Sorry for your loss, sounds like you have many cherished memories of happy times with your Dad.

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you will find many on here ready to help. Any questions, just ask away thumbs up

Thread: SC 4 strokes. Mark 1 - Mark 2
03/04/2019 22:59:55

Thanks for that. Just checked, and yes I see what you mean thumbs up

03/04/2019 20:59:50

Good evening, I have a chance to buy a SC 91 4 stroke. I believe its a mark 1, not the latest mark 2. Does anyone know what the differences are ?

Cheers

Edited By Ronaldo on 03/04/2019 21:01:42

Thread: Charging Lipo batteries
13/03/2019 13:46:20

Along with my pro peak 12v PSU's, I also use a camping/caravan 240v to 12v convertor as a spare PSU when needed. If you are confident enough to wire the lipo charger leads into a 'cigarette lighter' type plug, this may be a good inexpensive alternative to use.

**LINK**

Thread: Big Trouble in Model Britain
09/03/2019 23:17:58

Thanks for the heads up ! Just had a pleasant nostalgic hour watching it thumbs up

Ronaldo

Thread: JR resurrection?
04/03/2019 21:09:59
Posted by Ikura on 04/03/2019 09:38:39:
Posted by supertigrefan on 04/03/2019 09:15:18:
Posted by Percy Verance on 04/03/2019 06:40:54:

It seems they've not lost the phone number of the previous stylist.........

Hehe....yeah, shame that, would be good to see them go back to when their Tx's looked like a serious item rather than something supplied with a RC toy from 'Menkind', however I do wish them the best of luck.

Edited By supertigrefan on 04/03/2019 09:16:25

I couldn't agree more.

Also have to agree, I was a devout JR follower until they brought out the 'Transformers look' Tx . I moved over to Spektrum and got the cool looking 'Black Dx9', and the 'leather and carbon faced Dx20'. No regrets thumbs up

Thread: DX9 Owners thread
21/02/2019 09:10:01
Posted by Steve J on 11/06/2017 11:46:22:

Spektrum no longer have a service centre in the UK so your transmitter will need to be sent to Germany. I would advise contacting them first.

Steve

Als Hobbies are now the Spectrum Service centre. Never had a need to use them, but had good customer service from them. **LINK**

Both my Dx9 and Dx20 peak out at 8.2 volts when fully charged, so I've set my voltage alarms to 7.5 volts. I always felt the default alarm setting was too low for my liking.

Edited By Ronaldo on 21/02/2019 09:17:57

Thread: What setting for charging NiMH batteries
18/02/2019 10:50:16

I'm just echoing what many have said here, I charge all mine at 0.5. Anymore than that, and I get a 'false peak', which means I then have to disconnect, and put back on charge again.

I don't have many NIMHs left now, I am gradually changing them all to 'life' batteries. They charge much quicker, reliably with no false peaks, and hold their charge much longer than NIMHs.

Ronaldo

Thread: Installing servos in confined space
13/02/2019 23:23:44

In my hotliner gliders where there is a firm surface of glass fibre or ply, but only just room to take a servo without a mount, I wrap the servo case in masking tape and epoxy it in. It can then be removed if needed by carefully cutting the masking tape and easing the servo out without damaging the case.

Thread: Which was the best decade for the hobby?
07/02/2019 18:03:11

Difficult to say, as the hobby just gets better over the years. I started in the late 60s, control line, rubber, free flight, but the 80s decade was the 'beginning' of the best time for me. Loads of real 'builders' kits around (tho' I'm happy with some artf kits, got some myself) We moved from 27mhz on to 35mhz, a game changer. Plenty new young members were joining the club, willing to learn, and who didn't mind getting covered in balsa dust and shavings. We could always find areas available for clubs to fly from. It was a time of increasing development in radio, glow engines, scale, sports, pattern ships, etc, and continues to progress to this day in all fields of RC.

Thread: Modelling Board / Pin Board.
27/01/2019 18:20:46

Some goods tips there David, especially using A4 paper to level the board to near-perfect yes

27/01/2019 14:24:24

Along with many others on here ......' Plasterboard', ...... it's cheap to replace, takes pins well, and stays flat as long as its mounted on a true flat surface.

I've been building models many years, and used the sundeala type fibre boards before. I've found it twists and warps like %&*^%$*$^" if it's not nailed down to a true flat surface (and it can still slightly warp and lift in the center where it isn't nailed down !), where as with plasterboard it remains flat, you can simply lift off a worn out sheet, turn it over and use the other fresh side. When that's side's finished with, discard it and drop a new piece in it's place.

Ps ....... If like me, once you've used plasterboard you won't want to use anything else wink 2

Edited By Ronaldo on 27/01/2019 14:30:13

Thread: How long have you been in the hobby?
23/01/2019 22:07:10

Around 50 years for me, ...... and oh boy have I seen some changes in the hobby ... all for the better. No doubt many who have been in for longer will have memories of model progress that go even further back than I've seen !

Started with chuck gliders, rubber powered, then my first IC was control line. My first RC was a McGregor single channel, and a plan built glider, can't remember the name. Then as funds allowed I moved onto a 2 channel set, high wing rudder/elevator trainer, which made all the difference, and gave me (what I thought at the time) total flying control, apart from no throttle so just waited till the fuel ran out and landed dead stick. The real game changer was when I finally managed to afford a Skyleader 6 channel fully proportional system. WOW ! there was no going back then !! I had arrived !! lol. I fly petrol, glow, electric, sports, and scale models, and a couple of hot liner gliders, which has progressed tremendously with the introduction of Lipos. Even petrol engines have improved in design and performance compared to the early engines.

Back then it cost a fortune for radio gear, some of today's radio gear prices for beginners just starting out are only a fraction of the cost of what we paid back then. After Skyleader I moved on to Digi-fleet PCM radio, JR, and now Spectrum.

All in all, it's been a fantastic very satisfying journey, I've made many friends, and gained lot of help and support from family and club members. Hoping for many more happy model flying years to come with all you fellow modellers !

Edited By Ronaldo on 23/01/2019 22:13:39

Edited By Ronaldo on 23/01/2019 22:22:47

Thread: Gliders - where do you buy the better ones ?
23/01/2019 21:18:21

**LINK** and **LINK** Usually have a good choice, but sadly a lot of the 'better ones' gliders seem to be out of stock just recently.

My clubmate and I fly fully composite 'Hot Liners', but in the last couple of years we have had to order from the EU, due to very little or no stock in the UK, even though I would very much rather buy in the UK.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Edited By Ronaldo on 23/01/2019 21:21:43

Thread: Laser engines in stock!
23/01/2019 01:54:01

Great news ! thumbs up smile

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us