By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Kevin Flynn 1

Here is a list of all the postings Kevin Flynn 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Crane Fly Trainer Autogyro
21/03/2013 21:57:38

Sorry I forgot to show you how I made the windshield from a small water bottle. Kevin

21/03/2013 21:52:28

Guys I don't want to hog the thread but if I don't post this now I will forget to do it. This is the Crane Fly variant built a few weeks ago I posted photos of it on an earlier post. anyhow now it has it's paint job and looks pretty spiffy flying around the beach Kevin (CA)

21/03/2013 14:59:48

Well said Tom I think the information in this thread and others has helped so many of us that new nothing about autogyros, its just an extension of our hobby and an extremly interesting one I love the fact that it combines the model aspect, but you also have the benefit of doing a bit of home mecanics and making stuff not normally used on fixed wing models or even helicopters. I dont know how many times a person has come up to me and asked what kind of helicopter that is, then cant belive it's not a helicopter and they have never heard of an autogyro before. I have told many people about this and Rich's thread I do hope they follow thru and become interested. I just think it's so easy for new modelers to go to there local model shop and get an ARF which comes with the radio then go out and crash it, get discouraged and never get to actually build a model and get it to fly. They will miss a lot. Sorry to go on rambling, but as much as I (being a geezer) dislike some of the new tech things I couldn't write this and have worldwide friends without it. regards Kevin (CA)

20/03/2013 15:44:39

Sorry for the double post Kevin

20/03/2013 15:29:15

Terry I use small HiTec metal gear servos with the regular plastic ( arms the ones that come with them) I have also used the Corona DS-939 metal gear servos with the orignal plastic arms I think these are the ones Tom uses and so far no problems you don't need a lot of travel on the arms just look up Toms instructions on this thread back aways. I think he said he only needs about 10mm up and down on the servo arms, anyway no problems after many flights with my CFs.

Terry on the issue of the mast mine are all set like this if you get the bottom of the fusalage level the mast is set back about about 8 to 10 degrees you can easily change it by varying the length of the back stay. I don't know which version you are building but the SFH Crane Fly needs a bit more than the one with the Hobby King Head. Not having built an autogyro before building the Crane Fly and Rich's Fire Fly I was surprised how much rear tilt is needed on the mast (head), at first I got it all wrong the model flew very fast and ended up just about diving into the ground. I think it was Rich that advised me to add more tilt to the mast (head) and gradually as Tom says the penny dropped and I could understand what is going on. I have a friend that has an Auto G and if you look at the rear mast tilt on that you will get an idea of what i mean.

I don't want to interfear with Toms instructions this is just the way I do it. Things I have learned from the many helpful people on this thread have led me to enjoy this part of our hobby,hope this helps you. Kevin (CA)

20/03/2013 15:29:01

Terry I use small HiTec metal gear servos with the regular plastic ( arms the ones that come with them) I have also used the Corona DS-939 metal gear servos with the orignal plastic arms I think these are the ones Tom uses and so far no problems you don't need a lot of travel on the arms just look up Toms instructions on this thread back aways. I think he said he only needs about 10mm up and down on the servo arms, anyway no problems after many flights with my CFs.

Terry on the issue of the mast mine are all set like this if you get the bottom of the fusalage level the mast is set back about about 8 to 10 degrees you can easily change it by varying the length of the back stay. I don't know which version you are building but the SFH Crane Fly needs a bit more than the one with the Hobby King Head. Not having built an autogyro before building the Crane Fly and Rich's Fire Fly I was surprised how much rear tilt is needed on the mast (head), at first I got it all wrong the model flew very fast and ended up just about diving into the ground. I think it was Rich that advised me to add more tilt to the mast (head) and gradually as Tom says the penny dropped and I could understand what is going on. I have a friend that has an Auto G and if you look at the rear mast tilt on that you will get an idea of what i mean.

I don't want to interfear with Toms instructions this is just the way I do it. Things I have learned from the many helpful people on this thread have led me to enjoy this part of our hobby,hope this helps you. Kevin (CA)

20/03/2013 01:04:50

I forgot to mention I have been using 2200mah flight packs on the last 3 CF's I have built. The mast to nose (F1 motor mount) is 9 inches ( I know in the the photo it looks shorter) the balance (hang angle) seems just about right, with the weight of the 2200 pack, you can easily make power off landings, with or without wind. Flight times are about 10 to 15 miniutes with just over half throttle. The motors I use are from Heads UP hobby in Florida USA and the motor is a sport 400 with a 9X6 APC prop, could use a liittle more power but it climbs away well and as a beginner to autogyros that's just about right for me. Kevin.

19/03/2013 22:55:14

Well Tom I built another CF in my spare time I actually built it from spares I made for the others. I had one spare Hobby King head left, couldn't see that going to waste. now I have to get some more stick time just waiting for the weather to get a little better, last time I flew in the fog. Don't want to do that again. Kevin (CA)

19/03/2013 19:02:38

You are right Tom it is 0.8mm I think it's the angle of the photo and the chamfer, it's the same fiberglass sheet I use all the time, Terry thanks for noticing looks thicker than it is. I try to add these comments and photos from time to time to show members what I am up to then report on how or if they work hope try this plate this weekend weather permitting. regards Kevin (CA)

18/03/2013 15:43:27

Hi Tom I have been busy this weekend building some new bearing carriers the intention is to stop some of the wobbleys I get with head assemblys and blades . I have found that two of my Blue Wonder motor mounts are not on center, so thought I would try and make some, as my tools are rather limited (hand tools) I built these carriers out of 3/32 ply one on each side of the FG plate, drilled a 6mm hole for the bearing in the ply and FG plate put a 6mm bolt thru the three pieces for alingment put a nut on the bolt to hold every thing steady while I drilled the three 2mm bolt mounting holes. Its a good idea to put a couple of 2mm bolts and nuts in the plate while the assembly is bolted togetherAG plate

While I had the assembly bolted together I rotated it and drilled the blade mounting holes so they were all the same distance from the 6mm center bolt. I know it sounds like a lot of work but after seeing the results on the model I am more than pleased. Hope this is of some intrest to you and others. Kevin (CA)

17/03/2013 16:19:10

Tom that video was very interesting if it was flying with the bolt holes at 50% chord, where would the chord wise CG be on those blades? Ido try to follow Riche's procedure of balancing blades and usually end up with the bolt hole at around 30%. I am making two new sets of blades right now one set for the Kay and one to try on the CF MK 1 this is the most predictable and smoothest gyro I have flying right now so I am trying the blades with the 1/32 piano wire leading edge as an experement, the ones for the CF MK 1 will be a little narrower maybe 2 inches and the set for the Kay will be a little wider so we will see. I must admit I do like the models to fly slower (for my tired old eyes to see) I think they look more like the full size tractor autogyros. I have a new model autogyro in mind at the moment so I have to get it on paper with some notes before I forget it. Still wating for my magazine have been rereading the Panther thread over again just to get ready, I will keep you updated on my progress

Kevin

(CA)

16/03/2013 18:09:24

Hi Tom went out today and flew four flight packs in my MK1 CF I used two 1300mah packs and 2 2200mah packs no change in trim needed, batterys attatched under the fus It flew well I guess the penny is finally dropping at last For me (maybe the same for other beginner autogyro pilots) when you first launch the model you really have no idea what's going to happen and if it should fly straight and level it will start to gradually sink and the natrual thing (for me) is to slam the throttle forward which usually causes an uncontrollable climb or loop, this all happens in a matter of seconds and if you are lucky to get it back in one piece you can do it all over again. I think one of the hardest things to learn is to use the throttle wiseley and it is so difficul If you are a fixed wing pilot, it is just a natruall thing to do, I think for me learning the autogyro has been a slower learning curve than flying helicopters but one I really enjoy.

Kevin

(CA)

14/03/2013 00:08:27

Sorry Tom I forgot to ask you a question if you increase the width of the blades but not the lentgth do you get more lift? (or do you have to increase the length of the blade) The Kay is a speedy little devil but I have no pitch control on the head so therefore I cant tilt the rotor back anymore to increase the angle of attack, yes I can use the elevator to save it but then get too much nose up attitude all the time. Could I move the battery back a bit? I have quite a steep hang angle. Sorry to go on with all the questions, but I think your answers will help all of us. Hope you don't mind this off thread (Kay) model and questions Kevin (CA)kay 2.jpg

13/03/2013 23:51:16

Tom we finally had a nice day a bit windy but who cares I had to try the Kay autogyro I took it out one other time and closed the car door on the fin so had to replace the fin and rudder and wouldnt you know just as I went to launch I had a blade strike which knocked the top of the rudder off but it was too late to stop so I flew it anyway I flew a complete 800mah battery it really flew well. Kevin (CA)kay 1.jpg

12/03/2013 14:24:35

Nice Paul, looked a bit windy but you did a good job, smooth flying it really is addictive well done regards Kevin

(CA)

10/03/2013 23:36:14

Tom the tailboom is 22 inches from the mast to the T/P traling edge, mast to front former is 7 inches (should have been a bit longer had to add 1/2oz of weight) the mast is 12 inches high from the bottom of the fus to the bottom of the HK head mount, it is raked back about 8 degrees Tailboom and mast from 1/4 inch fiberglass arrowshaft, the fus is bulit up from 1/8 balsa, lite ply formers, 1/8 ply front former. The fus is about 3 1/4 inches at it's depest point it is 12 1/2 inches long and the fiberglass arrow shaft tailboom goes all the way to the front former. The cowling is the end of a vitamin E bottle cut down and painted. The wheels are DuBro lite 2 1/4 inch with plastic glued on the outside. I know this is really more information than you need Tom but I thought it might help other modellers. Each time I build a gyro I learn something new. Could not fly this weekend it's been very foggy. If the weather is goodI am going out Wed morning, fingers crossed.

Kevin

(CA)

09/03/2013 01:10:00

Thank you Tom, Bill glad to see your getting back to form,hope you are building a new model while you are recovering. I hope to go flying this weekend weather and honey do projects permitting. Yes Tom I will build a Panther soon but I don't have my magazine yet so can't make plans. Funny how the bills allways arrive on time. Going to fly my Kay autogyro soon hope to have some photos.

Best to all

Kevin

(CA)

08/03/2013 19:45:54

This is why we have such a narrow envelope when testing and flying our models the ocean is less than 100 yards away so it's manditory to make a quick left turn and when the wind is off shore it's really dicey behind me there is a main road. So far we have lost two flying wings a Mustang and several ARF's which are probably on there way back to China.

Kevin

California019.jpg

08/03/2013 19:35:01

Thanks Tom managed to get out today between showers, my buddy Mike had his camera for the historical event and here is the result032.jpg

07/03/2013 23:11:14

I am tryig to download another photo so if I screw up again my apologies. I have been working on this model for a while it uses some of Toms designs and some of Riches it has a HK head 18 inch blades and a fiberglass arrow shaft for the tail boom and is about the size of a Crane Fly. If it stops raining I hope to try it this weekend Kevin (California)

008.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us