By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Kevin Flynn 1

Here is a list of all the postings Kevin Flynn 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Crane Fly Trainer Autogyro
06/03/2013 04:02:08

Thanks Tom and Bill here are a few blade details (1/32nd 4 1/2 inch fiberglass plate as per Rich H. the Blue wonder bearing setup as per Tom's instructions). The blades are 18 inches long 1/4inch thick balsa, bolt hole at 17 1/2 inches from tip. 2 1/4 inches wide (2 inch balsa with the LE being 1/4 inch hardwood, spruce or ramaine from Ace hardware store) glued with CA glue (thin) This time I put the bolt hole at 1/3rd chord and the aerofoil is more or less clark Y with a sharp LE each blade has 1/64th ply packing under the TE at the root. The blades weigh about 26grams each

They are 18 inches long because I forgot to trim them down when I cut the 4 blanks from the 1/4 X 4 X36 inch wide balsa. The mast on the model is raked back 12 degrees which seems to work well for me tailplane fin and rudder 1/4 inch Depron

This model fly's very well it will really get up a head of steam downwind but has no bad habits in turns and as Tom noted it is also a floater when you throttle down. This model and Riche's Fire Fly have been my introduction into the world of autogyros and I just can't be more pleased. All the information in this thread has saved me so much grief thanks to everybody for all the help.

Kevin

PS also thanks is due to Grumpy Bill for telling me where to find supplys on this side of the pond.

Thread: Panther Trainer Autogyro
05/03/2013 17:03:50

Hi Rich (Kevin from California) I am still waiting for my magazine and Panther plan to arrive here on the west coast seems to take forever. Anyhow I think you mentioned at one time there would be a short kit avalable here in the US. my question is will hat still happen and if so where would I order it from? Thanks very much, reguards.

Kevin

24/02/2013 23:05:16

Sorry for the photo in the last post guess I will have to try again

Kevin

24/02/2013 23:03:43

Trying to post some Crane Fly photos make that photo if it works. The one on the left is the latest and seems to fly best, next is the third build (both this and #4 are SFH models with rudder) the third from left is a CF with a shorter nose and the far one (on the right) is my orignal long nose both with the HK head's I must admit it has survived some terrible landings thanks to yours truly. One thing I have niticed over and over is that my blades work much better when covered,I wrap them with coloured packing tape.

This really is an addiction can't seem to stop building them what fun too. Thanks to Rich and Tom for all their help. I have these four, a Fire Fly a HKC30 The Kay autogyro (which still has to fly) and I hope in the next few months a Panther and lest I forget the famous Auto G.

Kevin.

California

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/02/2013 23:59:07

17/02/2013 17:46:13

Hi everybody I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I am using velchro under the Crane Fly fusalage for battery attatchment (as per Toms plans)

and did have a few detatchment problems (between the velchro itself ) one day after an unintentional landing (controled crash) my battery came flying off it had been kind of hanging loose which it allways seemed to do, anyhow a bystander came over and suggested as I attatch the battery to the fuselage just slightly twist (slide sideways) the battery as you attatch it to the velchro on the fuselage and it was like magic so simple a fix never had another problem while flying, but it will detatch itself in case of an unexpcted heavy landing.

Hope this is of some help, I also maidened my Crane Fly #4 this weekend in a stiff breeze and apart from a slight left turn it was perfect.( Thanks Tom)

Kevin

IN California

13/02/2013 16:46:31

Hi Tom I have spent this week building yet another Crane Fly SFH (number4) this one is much lighter and has 4 inch lightweight wheels so I can take off on the grass. I have had the flu and missed all the good weather we have had this week.

I hope to get Rich's Panther plan next month as I am now a subscriber to RCM&E magazine got my first issue this week.

So that will be my next project, just wanted to keep you up to date on things in Monterey California.

I would be glad to post some photos but can't seem to get the hang of it, thats the trouble of being a geezer cant understand the electric generation at all.

Regards

Kevin

25/01/2013 02:30:58

Hi Tom I wonder if you can PM me the SFhead design I can't find your PM address I know you have mine

Thanks very much

Kevin

(in California)

PS how did the foam blades with the balsa covering work out?

Thread: Confessions of a Gyronut!
19/01/2013 18:12:23

Hi everyone did you say the kit will be avalible in North America? Just subscribed to the mag hope for a copy soon regards

Kevin

(California)

30/12/2012 01:15:34

HI Tom Kevin (CA) here " Happy New Year!" just checked in to the thread today, saw your message, have been trying to fly for the last few weeks but the weather has been terrible rain every day then it's been windy' went out this morning to test the new Crane Fly (single function head ) but got blown out.

Will try again on Sunday I will send you a photo of my Crane Flys soon as the weather improves

Again "Happy New Year" to all

Kevin

16/12/2012 17:44:22

Hi Tom I have a question does the piano wire run all the way along the blade?

I have cut out all the pieces bent the landing gear and built the single function head. Going to try the blades next, then assemble everything at one go, hope to be ready for first flight this coming weekend

regards.

Kevin

PS Merry Xmas to all.

09/12/2012 00:46:43

Tom it's just amazing how quick you come up with these new designs and then bang them out just as quick, I guess I will have to build another CF2 with the single function head, that will be number three for me, still flying numbers one and two. Thanks for all the hard work.Keep them coming!

regards

Kevin

(PS thanks for the PM's)

Thread: Durafly 'Autogyro G' PNP
01/12/2012 17:32:09

Rich I am sad to hear about this loss, hope you get your things back soon, who would do such a thing!

regards, Kevin

Thread: Fire Fly 2 autogyro build
17/11/2012 17:55:48

Five stars David very nice build and flight smitten is the right word. I just wanted to try this once now I have 5 gyros built thanks to Tom and Rich Well done!

Kevin.

15/11/2012 17:39:23

Hi Tom Kevin here in (CA)

Will you be giving a how to do on the Depron blades? I have just about worn out my belt sander making balsa blades.

Must admit I am getting much better at it (thanks to Rich's videos) my failure rate is down to about 1 bad mistake in four blades.

Really having a lot of fun with my gyros, I have built another Crane Fly and am building another Fire Fly (just in case)

Thanks again to Tom and Rich for getting me interested in the dark side of our hobby.

Most fun I have ever had standing up as they say reguards.

Kevin

30/07/2012 22:22:55

Hi Tom thanks for posting the photo, I finally got to maiden today (July 30) it seems to be really nose heavy I had to move the 1300mah Lipo back to about an inch in front of the mast before I had a successful flight, It was built as per instructions for the Mk 2, (long nose) anyhow I am still learning to fly her, it reall flys well. I live by the ocean so it's either windy or foggy or both, really enjoying the model thanks, best regards. Kevin (in California)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us