By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Pearce 4

Here is a list of all the postings David Pearce 4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electrifying a WOT4 Pro ARTF
20/11/2018 21:01:30

Thanks Geoff but I was specifically asking about the feasibility of electrifying the ARTF Pro version that is designed for IC:

**LINK**

In the hope that it's lighter and doesn't suffer from being tail heavy. But thanks for your response.

David

20/11/2018 15:25:51

Thanks Bruce, that's interesting. Adding my own lightening holes (carefully!) to the tail and fuselage is a good idea. A friend did the carbon rod mod you suggested for the elevator which helps too.

He also added spats, no real help to balance but it really improved the appearance.

I'd still like to hear the thoughts of any Wot4 Pro owners on this.

Thanks

19/11/2018 11:43:43

I used to have the earlier electric balsa ARTF WOT4 and am looking at buying the WOT4 EP/GP as a replacement. But reading blogs on here I see it has the same problem as the earlier version in that it's tail heavy. Many owners report the need for substantial nose weight unless they select a heavy motor and a 5000mah lipo. (I'd prefer using my 4000mah rather than buying new 5000mah)

I was wondering if the Pro version, which is lightened, may be suitable for electric conversion. In other words, would fitting a lipo hatch to the Pro be a better solution than adding nose weight to the EP/GP version? Or are there other difficulties in fitting a electric power?

Any WOT4 Pro owners have a view?

Edited By David Pearce 4 on 19/11/2018 11:56:26

Thread: EBay Ads by Forum Members
15/11/2018 20:22:09

Hi

I'm selling a SIG Pioneers of flight 1909 Demoiselle kit. New in box, no work done on it and complete.

**LINK**

Thread: Real flight 8
05/11/2018 19:27:10

I see nobody has answered Dave's question above. With the demise of Phoenix, I would also like to know the answer. Anyone know?

Thread: RC Retail Gift Cards or vouchers?
30/10/2018 07:57:48

Thanks John, perfect!

29/10/2018 22:19:17
With a big birthday coming up my family are asking the usual question about what to buy me. Does anyone know if any of the RC internet retailers sell gift cards or vouchers?
I haven't found any yet but it would make things easier.
Thread: VQ ARTFs at Hobbyking?
28/10/2018 08:45:08

Thanks for all your responses. There's several models in their range that appeal to me. Also, if I'm right and HK are selling some of them then they look good value for money.

Thanks again

27/10/2018 09:48:54

In this months RCME magazine Hobbyplastic have a large advert for VQ ARTFs. These look very interesting and well priced although it's not easy a find a recent review.

This morning I got an email from HK with their latest offers containing two ARTFs, a Tiger Moth and Siai Marchetti 260. Judging from the wingspan and colour schemes these appear to be VQ products at lower prices.

Worth a purchase I wonder?

Thread: Apex Models Berks
24/05/2018 10:45:00

I was pleased to see Apex models had a spare canopy in stock for my E-Flite Pulse 25e so I placed an order on 9th May. Despite chasing them I have received nothing, apart from the initial confirmation . So today I started the paypal process to get my money back.

Very frustrating when they won't even talk to you. Yes, avoid them and be grateful paypal is good at refunds.

Thread: Oracover(profilm), solarfilm & HK Film
11/05/2018 20:08:34

dscf2442.jpgI did this with HK film. No problems with curves such as the wing tips. Good colour range and great price.dscf2441.jpg

Edited By David Pearce 4 on 11/05/2018 20:09:33

Thread: Recommendations for small pillar drill
17/04/2018 15:05:16

Thank you for your helpful advice. I think £80 is a reasonable budget and something like the Clarke is as big as I need but I do take your point Timothy about not going too small.

Thanks again.

17/04/2018 14:10:47

My new workshop is nearly complete and I'm looking for a pillar drill. I mainly fly ARTFs and build from kits, all electric. So my needs are simple, just to improve on the accuracy of a hand held drill but no requirement for drilling heavy metal.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

Thread: Power Calculator announced in Dec 17 magazine
21/11/2017 20:15:25

Thank you David, found it.

21/11/2017 18:29:38

At the bottom of page 9 a downloadable Power Calculator is announced but I can't find it. Sounds very useful, any ideas where it is on this site?

Thanks

Thread: EBay Ads by Forum Members
14/11/2017 16:26:51

I have just listed a Spektrum TM1000 Telementry Module.

Purchased from Kingslyn Model shop but never used or fitted. As new in box and on three day auction.

**LINK**

Thread: Man on the moon. Really?
19/07/2017 17:53:42

Agreed, take this blog down. If anyone wants to believe man didn't go to the moon, in the face of the evidence, then that's their right. But this isn't the place to do it.

Lets back to our hobby.

Thread: Ripmax Dagger ARTF - Any recommendations?
03/07/2017 11:39:15

Two years later . . .

I thought I’d put an update on this. I followed Frank’s advice but unfortunately I was unsuccessful. Like others I’d read about on other forums torque proved a problem on launching and any subsequent prang often meant that a prop blade hitting the grass put pressure on the prop extender which the damaged the motor bearings. Similar results could happen on landing with that big 8 x 8 prop. So after two motors I put it on a shelf and ignored it for two years.

I got it down recently and decided to refit it without the extender. This meant cutting away the balsa ahead of the motor bulkhead. I found a Hobbyking Propdrive motor (2836 2200Kv) which peaked at 350 watts using a 6 x 4 prop. I use a 2200 mah 40C lipo

The result was amazing. It’s gone from a total failure to one of my best planes. Less torque means it’s easy to launch with great flying characteristics, great vertical climb, speed plus docile slow flying. I get 7 minutes of mixed throttle flying. I haven’t found a spinner to fit (50mm with 4mm shaft) but I think cooling is better without. It looks very stealth like in the air and orientation can be a problem so I added lots of day-glo solar trim.

dagger 02.jpg

dagger 01.jpg

Thread: An idle question for a windy Monday
22/05/2017 17:20:39
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 22/05/2017 15:42:20:
Posted by Braddock, VC on 22/05/2017 12:30:54:

Does it matter? His plane, his title.

Exactly. What is the obsession with categorising everything to the nth degree on this forum?

I said it was an idle question, far from an obsession.

22/05/2017 12:02:29

Here’s an idle thought for a windy Monday.

The other day I heard a club member describe his Flair Magnatilla as “Semi-Scale”. Now to me, for a model to be described in that way it would have to be based on an actual prototype. The Magnatilla, being a shoulder wing monoplane with a circular cowl, has the flavour of a Fokker Eindecker but the shape of the fuselage and tail bear no resemblance to any actual aircraft. So what do you call such types that are "in the style of" but not scale?

You could ask the same question of many of Peter Miller designs. His Miss Lizzy evokes the spirit of Golden Age racing aircraft but is a completely unique design. I don’t like the term "Comic Scale", but I’m sure somebody in the hobby has come up with a suitable term.

Maybe this is a dumb question but it got me thinking.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us