By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cliff Bastow

Here is a list of all the postings Cliff Bastow has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spitfire factory
13/10/2020 14:36:04

I have watched this from the start and found it interesting. I enjoyed the piece a couple of episodes ago about the Typhoon restoration and also the Hurricane stuff this week.

It was good for once to hear about the Hurricanes part in the Battle of Britain without the usual Spitfire bias!

Yes I am a bit of a Hurricane nut.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 13/10/2020 14:36:44

Thread: T N Avro York
13/10/2020 14:29:31

All 4 cowlings are now fitted and blended in. lots of filling and sanding done and I think the wing is about ready to cover.

image.jpeg

08/10/2020 21:23:58

I know what you mean Ray,

Flying time is going to be restricted weather wise from now I suspect.

08/10/2020 21:08:09

I finally got around to doing some of the York today.

I have trimmed the cowlings, cut out the holes and fitted them.

Then i spent a couple of hours blending them in to the nacelles.

I am pleased with the results.

img_0393[1].jpg

img_0395[1].jpg

Thread: redundant at 62!
05/10/2020 21:39:04

Ray,

The third engineer eliminated himself as he decided it was too far to travel as he is already traveling 35 min to our current location and it would be another 40 mins on top of that.

I will accept it in the short term and look for something nearer home without as Erflog points out having to look desperate. Its always easier to get work when you are in work from my experience.

Perhaps iI have not explained the shifts properly. We will be working 4 days on 4 days off. One week 6.30 to 7 and the next week 9 till 9. Not really looking forward to that one!

No progress on the York as yet. I have been going through my fleet, doing some repairs and tidying things up with a view to selling off some of my little flown airframes and spare equipment. Like many of us I suspect I have far to many airframes and only seem to fly the same 6 or 7 regularly.

05/10/2020 17:35:17

Well I have been offered one of the jobs but not to keen to be honest.

The shifts are 6.30 am till 7 pm one shift and 9 am to 9 pm the other with the possibility of some nights in the future and for the same money I am on now, although I know the engineers there are on quite a bit more!

They are going to pay mileage for the first year so that is something I guess. I drove it today to see and it is 40 mins each way. Its going to make for a long day!

Also if I accept it, from next week when my shifts are weekdays they want me to travel to the new site but when my shifts fall at the weekend they want me to keep coming here to cover this factory.

I feel they are jerking my chain to be honest.

26/09/2020 11:06:42

Yes Ray that is what I think. At least it will take the immediate pressure off.

I suspect that the three of us will have to compete for the 2 jobs that seem to have come available so hopefully my experience will tell.

26/09/2020 10:22:19

Work has informed me yesterday that there could possibly be a job for me at one of our other factories! More details to follow next week so fingers crossed.

Its a 50 min drive each way on top of a 12 hour shift so not ideal but at least its a job.

16/09/2020 10:28:42

Hi Ray,

I am a maintenance engineer so not really something I could do self employed. I could maybe work through an agency but not something I am keen on.

Cliff

14/09/2020 19:15:40

Thanks all for the kind words, I cant go to the new contractor as they are already fully staffed and anyway its a 45 min drive each way which I do not really want on top of a 12 hour working day at my age.

No luck yet with any interviews but have a few weeks to go yet at old place so fingers crossed.

Ray the York has stalled a bit at the moment as it has knocked the wind out of my sails a bit but I will get back to it at some point.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 14/09/2020 19:17:57

09/09/2020 17:17:47

Thanks all for the best wishes and kind words.

I am trying to stay positive at the minute but job seeking is not a nice task. If it wasn't for the fact I still have a mortgage I would not worry so much.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 09/09/2020 17:18:12

05/09/2020 18:07:42

It is my understanding that TUPE does not apply because it is the transfer of a contract and not the business but I am by no means an expert. thanks for the thought though.

05/09/2020 14:43:33

I have also wondered if I could draw down enough from my pension to pay the mortgage off but of course there would be less to live on then when I do retire.

Its a mess!

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 05/09/2020 14:43:58

05/09/2020 14:40:35

Not really Jonathan,

I could maybe work through an agency but then I would have to travel about and you get all the shifts nobody else wants, weekends, bank holidays, nights etc. An option if I get desperate.

We could maybe downsize and be mortgage free which might help but we don't want to if possible as we both love our bungalow and I have my nice workshop attached but needs must if desperate.

05/09/2020 14:30:09

Hi Flyboy3,

You are right there, they expect loyalty from there employees but give non back, they have already sent a letter round saying that if we decide to leave before planned shut down date we will have to work out our notice which in my case is 1 month. Fat chance, if I get another offer I am off and they can whistle for my notice. Loyalty works both ways.

05/09/2020 13:59:40

Thanks Peter Good advice.

Hoping to maybe get a days flying tomorrow weather permitting.

Fourth time for me and second in less than two years, so I have not been with current employer long enough to get any payout!

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 05/09/2020 14:00:02

05/09/2020 13:44:10

Thanks BackinBlack,

I am under no illusions that it is going to be easy at my age and in this current climate but fingers crossed.

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
05/09/2020 13:23:58

yes

All so true Gary.

Thread: redundant at 62!
05/09/2020 12:40:17

I have just found out my firm is closing the site and putting work out to sub contractor!

There is a nice thank you for all our hard work and overtime during Covid, coping with extra workload and covering for absent colleagues.

So modeling has to go on hold for a bit whilst I job search.

Thread: T N Avro York
05/09/2020 12:20:39

Just a quick update,

Progress on the York is on hold at the moment as I am having to readdress some of my modeling due to Imminent redundancy and having to search for new employment at the age of 62!

I am in the middle of selling off some of my lesser used models and equipment.

One of our contingency plans calls for selling our house and downsizing somewhat to be mortgage free but this might mean no workshop!

This is not where I wanted to be at this stage of my life but no doubt We will get through it.

So nice to think that this is the thanks we get from our employer for all the extra work and overtime we put in during Covid to cover missing staff and extra workload.

A choice made somewhere by some accountant to save a bit of money!

Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!