By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cliff Bastow

Here is a list of all the postings Cliff Bastow has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: T N Avro York
01/12/2019 21:14:15

I am considering one of these as my next project.

Does anyone have any experience of them please?

Thread: BMFA numbers. Is this true, or a gross exaggeration?
14/11/2019 10:10:27

Now I know this is one isolated case and may not be representative of modern youngsters but here goes.

we recently have taken on an engineering apprentice and when he found out about my hobby he expressed an interest in it.

On being told that he needed lessons to take up the hobby really and possibly would not be flying on his own inside six months to a year he quickly lost interest and went back to looking at his phone!

he was also surprised I would pay £150 to £200 pounds for a ARTF model but himself thought nothing to paying over a grand for his phone.

Thread: help with CG please.
04/11/2019 21:27:26

Advice needed on how to work out the CG on this model please.

Many thanks.

img_0102.jpg

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 04/11/2019 21:29:19

Thread: What are your three favourite war movies?
19/10/2019 21:08:48

Battle of Britain,

The Dambusters,

Ice cold in Alex,

The Great Escape,

Where Eagles Dare.

Thread: TN Concorde
05/10/2019 08:41:17

I went through a similar thought process with his Avro York which I fancied,

£221 for the kit which actually is not bad value as it at least contains all the wood you need including sheet and strip. I have seen some short kits at about the same price!

However then you factor in the retract set at £179 and the power set at £243.38 and suddenly you are looking at nearly £650!

Then you still have servos, receiver, cable, covering, glue , paint and other sundries and by the time your done it will be best part of £800 at least.

I understand why ARTF have become so popular.

will have to wait for the big lottery win sadly.

Thread: Complete a Pac Gladiator electric conversion.
28/09/2019 17:37:45

I have come into position of a nicely built Complete a Pac Gloucester Gladiator which has never had a power system fitted. I would like to fit it out as electric power.

I wondered if anyone has done this conversion and has details of a suitable power set?

Thanks in advance.

Thread: New Poll - sticky situations.....
26/08/2019 17:16:41

Two things superglue sticks better than anything else, your fingers and the top on the bottle!

Its also quite good at ruining a new carpet!

Please do not ask how I know! Domestic management was not best pleased!

Thread: Moon landing
20/07/2019 21:37:21

I can remember to this day being allowed to stay up and watch the landing. It had a profound effect on me and sparked my interest in aviation. I would have loved to get into space. Sadly too late for me now unless I have my ashes shot into space which I believe you can do.

Mankinds greatest achievement to date in my humble opinion.

There was a guy on the Jeremy Vine show the other day who had worked at Jodrell Bank during the 60,s and he stated they had independently tracked the command module and the lander all the way to the moon and back and too his knowledge non of the "doubters"  had ever asked to check the data which still existed.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 20/07/2019 21:42:35

Thread: Good news thread.
15/07/2019 15:21:15

I have to say you might have a point! lol

I would also comment on how well the New Zealand players acted and what good sportsmanship was displayed by both sides.

15/07/2019 11:30:30

Well done to England and what a game!

Thrilling and tense, best sporting event I have ever seen.

Thread: Well done England!
15/07/2019 09:31:28

Well done to England on winning the cricket world cup yesterday.

What a match, never seen anything like it!

Finally some good news for a change.

Thread: Flying Legends 2019
14/07/2019 08:06:34

Did anyone else attend yesterday (Sat)?

I really enjoyed the experience. Great to see so many Spits in the air at once. I was a bit disappointed to not see a single Hurricane flying but otherwise very enjoyable and my own experience was that it was well organized with easy access and exit to the parking areas.

Also some very nice large rc models.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 14/07/2019 08:07:25

Thread: Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones
12/07/2019 17:04:44

Percy,

Mr Phipps did indeed mention that the BMFA has its own achievement scheme.

I would agree about the Baroness, came across very arrogant and smug to my eyes.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 12/07/2019 17:05:22

09/07/2019 19:27:21

I may be wrong Steve but doesent the European regulations specifically allow model fliers who belong to recognised organisations to be exempt from registration?

09/07/2019 18:49:48

Yes Steve but as they have already demonstrated the D of t/ CAA are going there own way and not following suit with the rest of Europe.

09/07/2019 18:43:23

Andy that remark was meant tongue in cheek, Not a serious comment.

However I do think this is the thin edge of the wedge for the future.

09/07/2019 18:28:59

We are doomed lads!

Did anyone else notice that within three years all uavs will have to carry electronic identification devices?

Thread: Local club attendance
01/07/2019 18:34:16

No Percy,

As stated in my original post we are restricted to 160 members at the landowners request.

Thread: John Carpenter Folland Gnat
01/07/2019 17:31:51

Hi Terry,

I know John quite well as he is a member of my club.

If you PM me with what info you need I will ask him next time I see him.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 01/07/2019 17:41:42

Thread: Local club attendance
01/07/2019 17:25:24

My club has a cap on membership at 160 members at the request of the Farmer who owns the land.It is always full with people on a waiting list to join.

I Have been a member since 2009. In all that time I doubt if I have met more than 50 members! Its always the same 20 or 30 that seem to be the ones who might be there on any given day. Much the same crowd on cleanup days.

We have had discussions about stopping people being members if they never attend, so as to let some in off the waiting list, but its a difficult one.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us