By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cliff Bastow

Here is a list of all the postings Cliff Bastow has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Balsacraft Blenheim replacement canopy.
08/02/2019 19:00:26

As mine had no motors in it when I received it from a friend I thought I might as well fit brushless motors,

I don't really want to end up adding nose weight, will have to see how I get on.

06/02/2019 13:38:28

Hi all,

I have a Balsacraft Blenheim, that I am converting to brush-less power.

It has a solid nose painted to look like a canopy and I would like to improve this area. I seem to remember once upon a time there was a long nosed, clear canopy made by someone as a replacement. Does anyone know where they came from and if they are still available.

Thanks in advance Cliff.

Thread: Horizon hobby E-flite Hawker Hurricane P25e
01/02/2019 09:52:52

Reading Toms post reminded me that I fitted washers under the back of the retract units to cant the legs forwards slightly which greatly helps with the nose over problem.

31/01/2019 21:17:57

I have one and they are lovely fliers and look great in the air. They are a bit prone to nosing over at the end of landing run but otherwise lovely.

New they were about £200 to £250 if memory serves and came with fixed uc so retracts were an extra.

All the supplied equipment is excellent in my experience.

I used the E flight servoless retracts which were not cheap but have worked faultlessly.

I love mine to be honest but I have a soft spot for the Hurricane.

Hope this helps.

Thread: Tony Nijhus Vulcan.
26/01/2019 21:16:57

Many thanks guys.

25/01/2019 17:17:57

For my next build project I am considering Tony's Avro Vulcan twin pusher.

Does anyone have any experience of this kit please?

Thread: Saab J-21 Build (RCME plan)
19/01/2019 08:13:25

Hi Vince,

I built one of these from the plan and it was fairly straightforwards as I remember,

I will try and dig out my old plan and see if i can identify the bits you are struggling with.

It was a good flier until I crashed it on launch one day!

586490.jpg

586491.jpg

All the best with the build.

Cliff.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 19/01/2019 08:14:23

Thread: Controls reversed when copying.
16/01/2019 16:18:38

This is all very interesting, but I am not sure how relevant it is to my question? That is why have some of my settings become reversed when copying from my tx memory to an SD card?

I would think a copy ought to be the same? Everything else such as rates etc seem to be the same.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 16/01/2019 16:19:22

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 16/01/2019 16:19:51

16/01/2019 13:09:32

Thanks for the replies lads. I have checked and it is the channels that were reversed in the original model set up. They seem to have reverted to default settings in the copy's. Something to be aware off in future.

Many thanks.

16/01/2019 10:14:19

No ideas anyone?

15/01/2019 16:53:54

I use a Futaba 8FG super. I have been copying my models from the transmitter memory to a memory card so I have a copy of them but for some reason some of the controls come out reversed from the original. Does anyone know why this should happen please?

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 15/01/2019 16:54:58

Thread: Gutted!
14/01/2019 14:04:45

Hi Chris,

As built the model flew with 7 X 5 props on the outer engines but I had to make do with 6 X 5 on the inners and even then they sometimes cut the grass! The model has quite a bit of dihedral so the outers were higher up. I did try to find some 6 x 6 to try but could not source any.

Yes I understand there is a risk of prop breakage now but I will chop the throttle just before landing and hope for the best! I have a couple of other planes that belly land and so far prop breakage has not really been a problem unless its very cold.

Cheers Cliff.

14/01/2019 12:05:34

Many thanks Colin,

You are right about BEB, a sad loss to the hobby.

14/01/2019 11:03:19

Well she is ready for test flying, everything removed and new props fitted. radio gear back in and launching trolley at the ready.

Just waiting for a day off work and nice weather to coincide!

13/01/2019 11:17:42

Thanks Robert, I am hopeful for a good outcome. I hope all goes well as she looked great in the air.

Cliff.

12/01/2019 15:16:09

I have decided to remove the u/c and have built a launching trolley and will belly land.

She was always a bit marginal on power at take off, unless the grass was newly cut, although fine once up. I suspect the smallish wheels and nose,wheel layout did not help.

This means as there is more ground clearance I can fit larger props to the inners, as before they had to be smaller than the outers due to ground clearance issues, which will give more power. Of course she will also be lighter by 6 wheels, 3 retract units, the air tank, piping,charging valve, control valve, retract servo and nose,wheel steering servo. All of which will help with power to weight ratio.

Also because she was over responsive to rudder inputs (which caused the crash in the first place) I have also fixed in place the middle rudder, and removed its associated servo and linkage, further reducing weight. She will now just use the outer rudders which I hope will be plenty.

12/01/2019 15:00:45

Well I have to report that Connie is back in one piece and nearly ready for test flying.

I am going to fly her in the rough state before I start Painting again! This time she is going to be done in a military scheme as I cant face all those windows and lining again!

cliffs.jpg

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 12/01/2019 15:02:15

Thread: Yet another request for model identification.
06/01/2019 13:22:34

Sorry to report that this had bit the dust after the elevator servo jammed at full up elevator! Shame as it was a nice relaxing model to fly.

Thread: Keeping Warm In Winter Weather
05/01/2019 17:05:21

Stay home, its lovely and warm!

Thread: Christmas 2018 Gifts
26/12/2018 08:15:08

My wife bought me a kit for a Bristol Blenheim which I spotted on E bay.

Lots of vouchers for Gliders.co.uk so looking forward to a spending spree in new year! Some very nice real ales and also three great films on DVD

Ice cold in Alex, First of the Few and Reach for the Sky.

Lots to watch and drink now while I am beavering away in my man cave! building my Blenheim.

Really happy.

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 26/12/2018 08:26:35

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 26/12/2018 08:27:07

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us