By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Greybeard

Here is a list of all the postings Greybeard has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Scroll Saw Recommendations
12/08/2012 15:24:08

I know that this is an old thread but as I'm in the market for a fretsaw I wondered if anyone has anything to add by way of an update.

Thread: Local model shops - do we support 'em?
09/08/2012 14:52:36

Sounds like you need a set of antiground magnets Myron, but it's nice to read of good service form Gliders, I must drop in on them next time I'm on the A1 and need a break; good advice is invaluable. The other aspect of supporting a LMS is finding the small components that maybe we would otherwise have difficulty finding since most website only advertise the more expensive lumps.

09/08/2012 09:32:17

I think there are a number of factors at work here, as nation we buy cheap rather than quality, and we want it now, not tomorrow, so it is of little wonder that our shops are full of cheap imported goods. The trend is to visit our local shop to view the goods and then go home and order from an internet box shifter to get it even cheaper. However we do seem to expect our local shop to be there fully stocked and open all hours for the odd occasion that we need advice or help finding some obscure component that the box shifters are not interested in handling!

The old adage “use them or lose them” comes to mind.

Thread: Another Returnee
05/08/2012 11:55:30
Posted by Alan Cantwell on 05/08/2012 09:14:01:

Welcome back, tell me, are you, with the name GreyBeard, a secret member of team GB? you could be our model flying olympic flyer, wink 2 this built up kit, they are still out there, but in diminishing numbers, and quite expensive as opposed to ARTF built up models by the time they are flying, sounds like your flyings nailed, might be an idea to see if the BMFA still have your A/B certs on file, if not, then a re-take will be on the cards, what area are you interested in? sport or scale? might help us point you in the right direction, do you know that lots of RCM&E designs now come with optional laser cut parts? seeing as the clock is ticking, might be an time saving idea for you,

Thanks Alan, my interest was always more in the construction and design of my models, flying them was secondary and an excuse to build more; most of my creations survived to be sold on. I agree that the ARTF models do seem to be cheaper, presumablly due to low far east labour costs. I am impressed with the laser cutting and all for that. At the moment I'm eyeing up the DB SE5a ( I build the original DB Pup) but may tackle something smaller to get some building practice. I have to sort out a building space first though - hence the need for the foamies.

05/08/2012 08:33:50

Thank you for your welcome. I must say that I’m finding the back issues of RCM&E a real help in bringing me up-to-date with the changes that have occurred since my last bout; some aspects are unchanged but on the other hand electric flight has made massive strides, and I think it is that area that attracts me the most.

It was a pleasant shock to find that buying my starter kit was a lot cheaper than anticipated based on my recollection of 1985 prices and income.

Now I need to identify a builders model, I don’t think I can take too much of this foam stuff.

04/08/2012 16:36:41

I thought I should say hi. I’ve just returned to this pastime after an absence of about 25 years having realised that if I was ever to do any stick stirring again I had better be quick about it – the clock’s ticking.sad I joined a club and received an introductory flight on their trainer last weekend on a thing called a buddy lead; I assume that was to stop me wandering off with their trannie. Having check out the teacher I judged him able enough to have a go on my Wot 4e, just to make sure that I had put the stickers on the right way up you understand; then it was my turn; my aren’t they quiet! As with bike riding I don’t seem to have forgotten too much or if I have I don’t remember what it was. dont knowFlick rolls are a bit rusty though, and I thought that I should leave the rolling circles until next week or maybe the month after. I’ve subscribed to the digital edition of the magazine and am currently going through the back issues.

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!