By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Powell 2

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Powell 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sussex Models
26/08/2012 19:09:27

That's why they got the 'best online model supplier' award last year. And if you live in the area they are your LMS too. But I think most of their business is online.

I'm about 45 miles away, not too far. I discovered it had a 'real' shop when my wife's son was in a nearby cat show. Well, not exactly....

Thread: Neil Armstrong
26/08/2012 18:21:50

Gordon,

what a lovely story. In a way heartbeaking, but so true.

PS: I have heard Eric Brown too. .

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 18:23:20

26/08/2012 18:14:58

Here's another short story. True too. In Michael Collin's book 'Carrying the Fire' (Apollo wss the god that carried the sun across the sky).

They had to do psychological tests. One was 'Rorschats blots' The psychologist handed them blank cards. Collins said he saw "twenty polar bears fornicating in a snowstorm". Armstrong said "You've handed it to me upside down". But sadly, the common story about Armstrong's first words actually being "Good luck Mr Gorsky" and NASA suppressing it isn't true.

Thread: calling all tekky radio bods
26/08/2012 17:38:18

No. its a pulse that spreads everywhere, it's 'radio', and your car radio works, and I assume your car has rubber tyres. Mine has smiley

Electrical contact (or not) with the earth's surface is irrelevant.

PS: Think of a portable, battery powerd TV or radio. If there is lightning about you get interference from every flash. But it is usually some way away. When close, as yours was, it can actually be strong enough to curl up the connections inside an integrated circuit, which our stuff is full of., as it is so powerful when close. It's not the 'electricity'  in the lightning, it won't burn your or give you a shock, it is the electromagnetic pulse that goes with lightning..

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 17:48:32

26/08/2012 17:19:02

EMI. Electromagnetic Interference. Can do permanent damage to all electronics, switched on or off, and lightning is a strong source of it, particularly when that close.

At a very minumum, replace the receiver. Chuck the old one away. Personally I would to the same with the servos, but keep them for lower cost models. Unlikely, but he may find the turbine electonics are screwed too, but he can't tell that until the recever is replaced.

PS: If his transmiiter was close that might be faulty too. Personally, I would never trust it. EMI can work over quite a long distance, the US tried to use it as a weapon. Doesn't usually effect airliners, which are often struck by lightning, as they are metal all over. His Vulcan isn't.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 17:24:54

Thread: West Wing Beguine r/c build
26/08/2012 17:04:26

Been working on it eh? We were wondering where you'd gone. 9 gram or therebout 'micro' servos will be fine. Use an Axi 2208/20 motor (1800 rpm/volt) or equivalent, a 3 cell 1800 or 2200 lipo and a 20 amp (minimum) speed controller. A master 7 x 4 propellor or the 7 x 5 one for a bit more power. Master ones are best, all the others are stiffer and liable to bend or break the motor shaft in 'arrivals'. I use that setup, with the 7 x 5 prop on a slightly larger Sig Rascal. Goes like a rocket if you want it too but will cruise around all day at low throttle. The 1800 3 cell lipo might be best as yours is a little smaller. Don't think my suggested motor is too big (that's what the throttle stick is for) and a biggish motor working easily is much more efficient than a small one working hard, giving a longer duration. Don't use an Axi 2212 motors, that's way over the top! There are cheaper motors, but make sure it is 1800 rpm/volt or everything else will screw up.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 17:07:56

Thread: Mercury Models Aeronca Sedan conversion to RC and electric?
26/08/2012 16:23:59

It's the Mercury Models one - it is in the thread title and the OPs first post, where he also mentions the Mercury kit in his attic.

The plan is supposedly available from Colin Smith, Phil Smith's (the designer) son, but contact details are a little hard to find.

I scaled mine up from the AMI (a couple of years ago) print of Phil Smith's plan in the magazine. It is a pretty simple thing to do, with a compass, rule, and a pair of dividers. Mine is partway built but put aside for the moment..

Ailerons. I am reducing the dihedral slightly and getting the aileron shape from the 'fullsize' article in the same magazine. You don't need CAR, it messes up everything except 'gentle turns'. Just 'co-ordinate the controls' when flying it. A little aileron differential will help. to make the ailerons more effective.

For the 'purist' the merge of the fuselage rear top and the wing TE is totally wrong. The rear fuselage top  should continue on forward a little over the wing, not end 'flat' at the TE.  Thus the top should be little higher than the plan shows. Plenty of pictures of the real ones on the internet

Axi 2820/10 motor on 3 cells will be fine for pottering around, which is all the real one ever did.  Don't overpower it, lowish power makes you do the takeoffs properly. It does on my Auster! Use a 40 amp controller 2200 Lipos are a bit small for a model and motor of this sise, the duration will be a bit short. I would go for 3000 at least. (or an OS 30 four stroke, Which I'm using!)

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 16:28:05

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 16:29:23

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 16:35:17

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 16:44:29

Thread: Battery Type
26/08/2012 12:36:28

The buchmann reference, though interesting, is eleven years old. Some of it, particularyly about Lipos, is very out of date. Internal resistance, energy density of 'military' ones, is actively misleading now.

PS: 'Electircity may been around for 400 hundred years, maybe much longer'. Its's a big much, try 11 billion years at least.  smiley

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 12:37:43

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 12:43:23

Thread: Elf and Safety think a Spitfire seat is dangerous
26/08/2012 10:54:49

German? Russian?

Reminds me of the Film 'Fatherland' some years ago. Russia not invaded, Uneasy peace with Russia, Germay won.

AH fiftieth year in power celebration. Turns up in a Rolls Royce with a Mercedes badge on the grille.

Wrong. As events eventually turned it it should have been a BMW badge smiley

Thread: Southerner 60 scaled to 72
26/08/2012 10:30:55

Hello John,

you don't know me by name, I think, but I am the guy who usually turns up at Beaulieu accompanied by Hughie, who likes to fly my planes, having none on his. own.

Yesterday (Saturday) morning we were at Beaulieu flying an old Cox 049 1/2A pylon racer that he scrounged from Jack Anderson many years ago. I refurbished it for him and put an electric motor in it. Flies well.

There is a 'GoldHahn' plan (Gerrmany, about 1941) on my living room table at the moment. That looks REALLY vintage! Good video of one on YouTube.

Your Southerner looks lovely, though I have not seen you flying it. I have the 84 inch plan, scaled up, but not kitted, by Ben Buckle.

Currently building a Junior 60 for an OS 30 four stroke.

Thread: First build, a cautionary tale
26/08/2012 09:52:08

Peter must have been a very advanced child, measuring DC2/3 wings at that age.

26/08/2012 09:45:33

Alan,

I went direct from NiCd to Lipo. At the time, all the NiMh flight batteries were pretty hopeless, I thought, never performing as claimed, but I used AA size NiMh, not the usual C size of my Nicads. The only AA cell plane I ever flew was a glass/sheeted foam wing Multiplex Graffiti hotliner, now 12 years old. It started with 8 AA Nicads and a £4.99 Speed 400, slowly graduated though other motors, brushed and brushless, to its present three Lipo/geared Kontronik Fun 480 (£240 when I bought it!!!) and goes straight up!

I use NiMh for radio power, rather than controller BEC or UBEC on anything but my smallest models. Most NiMh batteries lose charge in a very short time, the worst of all being the older Sanyo ones, white with an orange top. The Eneloop ones are MUCH better, but not as good as Sanyo claim. There have been other 'low discharge' NiMh batteries, the best next to Eneloop being 'Hybrio' from B&Q, the EverReady and Duracell ones being not as good. But all except Eneloop have vanished, at least in Hampshire.

Radio voltage? I use Multiplex radio and all of their stuff, servos included, are fine at 7 or 8 volts , and have been for years, while also being fine at 4.8, and they have never bothered with all this 'HV' labelling stuff.. But I use a lot of JR servos, most don't like like any more than 4 cells, or so we are told by 'experts',  but in my helis I use five without problems.

LiFe? Never bothered, never will. Don't see any point.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 09:46:53

Thread: Flair Cub Kit.
26/08/2012 07:03:48

Tidy? I know this blog started years ago, but I am going to comment on work areas. My large bench along the side of the shed contains:

The broken mechanism from a lavatory cistern, about 15 aerosol cans, which once (some still do) contained paint, wasp killer, silicone oil, WD-40, etc., a Kawasaki 1100 rear sprocket awaiting installation, a box containing my Dremel and accessories, two worn windscreen wipers from my fairly modern Mercedes, most of the wreckage from my newly deceased Wolfgang Matt Super Star (including its now-bent tuned pipe), which arose immaculately from all this only six weeks ago, two ASDA garden sprays, a large plastic pilots head found while collecting the Super Star wreckage from the concrete, two bottles of Roundup weedkiller, one full, one empty. Several half empty seed packets. Four expensive 'non-optimum' EDF motors, each with its attendant collection of pins, small nuts, etc., a slightly damaged Vic Smeed 'Debutante', several empty boxes which once contained Axi motors, a disused Schubeler fan unit, the first wing (not enough washout) from my DH88 Comet twin electric. Not counting the small stuff.

Also one completed half wing of a 'Junior 60'. A near completed half wing of same, pinned to the plan, with a sheet of ASDA baking paper intervening, all pinned to a Great Planes bulding board (excellent). That will probably be completed today.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 07:10:14

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 07:10:53

Thread: Neil Armstrong
26/08/2012 06:01:23

We all die. That is not the sad thing. What is a shame is how little attention it will get. 99 percent of the population, if they hear of it at all, will say 'Who he?' My wife did. But of course we all know that the death of the first man on the moon is far less important that the X Factor, or even worse, Red and Black.

Thread: Elf and Safety think a Spitfire seat is dangerous
26/08/2012 05:38:14

'The Potteries Museum and Art Gallery'

I had a look. It is not exactly an aviation museum. More a collection of random junk. Titanic, Shotfiring, Changing approaches to death and burial, aeroplane (just the one, we know what it is), Greek myths, etc. etc. All designed to 'use up' the assorted stuff they have somehow got hold of, as in 'Shall I take this stuff to the local tip or shall I donate it to the museum?'. The Spitfire looks very sad. Would look better left alone for 50  years than badly tarted up.

On the attendants job interview they probably said '"We've got an old aeroplane" and had to look up what sort it was.

And at the average museum of that sort and the rates of pay the attendants get, there will not be many 'How can we make this work' guys.

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 05:47:26

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 26/08/2012 05:49:07

25/08/2012 20:04:36

I didn't know LiFe were that bad. Near enough half the watt hours for the same weight. No thanks..

Storage? it is possible disadvantage of Lipos but it does not often matter if you fly every few days or so, or you can charge the Lipos to only 80 percent of their nominal capacity (my charger has that as an option) which extends their overall lifetime a lot. And their watt - hours is still much better than LiFe. The Lipo powered laptop I am typing on defaults to that.

Thread: Table Top Circular Saw
25/08/2012 19:44:55

Tools? If the 'Elf and Safety nannies have their way the only tool using creatures on the planet will be a few monkeys and those birds that use sticks to get insects out of holes in trees.

Can I have some cocktail sticks please? No. They are for my pet bird. That's ok then.

It has happened already. Can't get decent solder anymore. That is the most recent I can remember, but there have been many others.

Thread: retracts
25/08/2012 18:50:29

They don't usually fold forwards but you could always turn them round. The only 'fold fowards' ones I ever saw was on a (real one) weird Russian aerobatc Yak some years ago. When retracted they were totally exposed in front of the wing. Didn't see the point, really. The DC3 Dakota does too, but into the engine nacelles. Never seen a real one.

Thread: I want flapperons-Where do i start?
25/08/2012 18:14:31

I agree with Ben B. They can cause tip stalls. You go slower, almost like a Short Take Off and Landing plane, and when they tip stall they do it hard.

I tried them with my Graupner Bolkow (see my short 'review' of it in the Review section) as it has a thin wing and landed fast. Soon gave up that idea, too tip stally by far. So I fitted 'proper' flaps, but that is more complicated. Worked perfectly.

Spoilerons (which go up rather than down) actually reduce tip stalling tendencies. But they don't slow you down much, you just come down a lot steeper

You don't need a slider. A three position swich is better, for flaps, flaperons and spoilerons. CLick, click, click, off, middle, full, and the same every time. You don't need fine adjustment.

On my 'hotliner' I have down, off, and up flaperons/spoilerons. Down (slightly), for 'thermalling', normal, and a steep, but fast, approach. (goes on forever otherwise, lands with a bit of a thump).

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 25/08/2012 18:18:20

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 25/08/2012 18:25:19

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 25/08/2012 18:28:52

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 25/08/2012 18:29:40

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 25/08/2012 18:30:32

Thread: Next model......
25/08/2012 18:09:48

AcroWot. without a doubt. I have got an OS 46 AX spare due to an error of judgement and it will go in the AcroWot. If it is tail heavy, move servos, etc. forward. You could add lead - using a deliberately heavier engine is not 'better' than lead.

I will probably build it from the original Chriss Foss kit, but the Ripmax ARTF appears to be as good. Some say it flies a little better.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us