By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gordon Tarling

Here is a list of all the postings Gordon Tarling has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Servo going wild
23/04/2017 11:42:12

PeterF - Suggest you use one UBEC for the radio, sized at the highest current rating you can find - I think Castle Creations makes one rated at 20 Amps. Also, use a totally separate UBEC for the retracts - maybe rated at 10 Amps. If the ESC has a built-in BEC, then disconnect or disable it. Even better, use an opto-isolated ESC.

Thread: APC Props and Motors
21/04/2017 12:05:31

I would also add that a large proportion of the goods sent out of China have their postage subsidised in some way, hence the 'free postage' on many items from Banggood and the like. I'm not entirely sure how this actually works, as I've had some items from Banggood that have been sent from the Seychelles. However it works, it's clearly not something that's ever going to happen from UK based suppliers.

Thread: Phoenix, models
19/04/2017 10:08:35
Posted by Bill_B on 19/04/2017 07:38:13:
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 19/04/2017 00:21:09:
Posted by Bill_B on 18/04/2017 21:21:04:
Posted by Steve Colman on 18/04/2017 21:10:56:

Staufenbiel (now HH) carry Phoenix models also.

........And they post to the UK within a few days. thumbs up

You Hope.

See HH thread

I know, from nearly 4 years trouble free service with many orders. Can't fault Staufenbiel, although now HH are involved it'll probably all go down the pan!

It already has gone down the pan! A total shambles on two fairly recent orders has made me think that it's no longer worth ordering from them.

Thread: Horizon Hobbies
09/04/2017 11:50:49

Not sure Ernie's the first, but one of the first. The model which I ordered from Staufenbiel still hadn't arrived a couple of weeks ago, so I opened a Paypal dispute. It seems that Staufenbiel even stopped responding to Paypal, so I received a full refund last week. Such a shame that two previously good companies have gone down the tubes now that they've merged.

Thread: HK Euro warehouse
31/03/2017 11:11:20

The last order I placed at the EU warehouse with non-tracked delivery took around 10 days to arrive.

Thread: Horizon Hobbies
24/03/2017 17:54:39

I heard this from a UK model shop today -

"we were notified recently that they are no longer trading in the UK, and if you want to purchase anything from them now, it will have to be direct from Germany. In addition to that, we have just heard that if you have any items that need servicing or repairing, they are going to have to be sent to the USA, as Germany are unable to cope with the numbers! "

If that's all true, it looks like Horizon don't want our custom - sad.

Thread: BMFA NAtional Centre website launched
20/03/2017 12:34:10

Well done to all involved! I shall pay a visit as soon as the weather improves a bit - it's about 15 miles from here.

Thread: BMFA NEWS
17/03/2017 16:51:07

kc - the hobby NEEDS juniors and we need to do all we can to encourage them - seeing their name and photo in the magazine is but one way of helping with this.

As other have said, this is the magazine/newsletter of the British Model FLYING Association and should encompass all disciplines - if your particular discipline appears to be under-represented, then DO something about it, like submitting an article!

Thread: Educational experience for me on a float plane
16/03/2017 17:12:44

I hate to burst your bubble, but the aircraft in the photo is a DHC Twin Otter, commonly known as a Twotter. Don't think DHC ever made a Badger, but if it did, it would have a black and white striped scheme. smiley Glad you enjoyed the flights, a Twotter flight is on my bucket list.

Thread: Staufenbiel
10/03/2017 12:00:53

My original order from Staufenbiel still has not been delivered, they claim it was sent on February 28th. They also appear to be avoiding my requests to provide a tracking number - several times now, they have given me the tracking details of a subsequent order which appears to be due for delivery today. In view of this, I've opened a Paypal dispute for the first order, so we'll see what happens. The second order has been sent by DPD, who are normally very reliable, but I have no idea what carrier was used for the missing order.

04/03/2017 14:57:31

FWIW, I ordered a model from Staufenbiel the week before last, paid by Paypal. I heard no more until I chased them about it in the middle of last week, when I received an emailed reply in German to the effect that they had just despatched my order. My account also showed that it had been despatched. Yesterday, I received an email in English that apologised for the delay, but they couldn't tell me when the model would be sent. I've asked them to cancel the order and refund me, so we'll see what happens. I'll submit a Paypal claim in a week or so if I don't get a satisfactory resolution. A great shame, as their service always used to be top notch.

Thread: Foam tyres, homemade
08/02/2017 10:54:40

I made a pair from the cheap kneeling mats - make the thickness you require by laminating with contact adhesive. I mounted then on a piece of studding and 'turned' them to shape and size with a sanding block and my drilling machine. Be prepared for lots of dust!

Thread: Theme tunes for aircraft
01/02/2017 11:59:59

There's only one for me. smiley

Thread: Soldering Iron Recommendation please
31/01/2017 12:35:17

Over very many years of soldering experience, I've found that a temperature controlled iron is vastly superior to types that aren't controlled. I have a Weller 40W solder station for all the smaller stuff and a Weller 100W iron for the big stuff. I only resort to the blowlamp for plumbing jobs. smiley

Thread: hobbyking - big changes
12/01/2017 12:57:28
Posted by Dave Bran on 07/01/2017 12:44:38:

Worth the effort? Try to get a 250 Flybarless Head or 250 FBL head or any normal search engine variants (from ANY warehouse) and see what it offers!

I'm not only hesitating, I'm def not bothering to TRY searching any longer.

Try here - **LINK** I've bought quite a few bits and pieces from this shop - good quality parts, good service and reasonable delivery costs.

Thread: Yet another 'drone strike'
06/01/2017 13:50:31

Some of the modern airliners are fitted with external cameras, but it's usually a customer option, so not fitted to all.

Thread: Amazon flying warehouses
01/01/2017 12:18:24

It's also worth remembering that unless the warehouse is FULLY automated, it will require human staff. Humans come with their own needs, breathable air, water, food, sleep and some means of getting rid of waste products. Can't see it ever being a practical proposition.

Thread: 1/3rd Classic Scale Tiger Moth -
16/12/2016 14:18:43

Gordon - I'd very much appreciate any dimensions of the ends of the undercarriage spring struts if you have the time. I'll PM you my email address. Thanks!

13/12/2016 17:14:57

Chris, thanks for the offer of springs. They need to fit inside a 12.5mm tube and around 30mm long per spring. 4 required in total - 2 weaker ones for 'taxying' and 2 stronger ones for 'landing'.

13/12/2016 12:56:51

Jez - Good to see that you're back on the case. Many U/C parts are missing, but I'm mostly managing with the help of your photos in this thread and a bit of guesswork. All the parts for the spring struts were absent and any dimensions for the ends/forks would be very useful. I'm also struggling to find suitable springs - I have some which might 'do', but won't know for sure until the model is almost complete, though they won't be the 2-stage type of the originals.

Chris - it would seem there are several variations of the cowling, so you really need to look inside to see what's holding yours on - have you tried using a dental mirror and a torch?

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!