By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Fraser

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Fraser has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hospitalised, my own fault - but ?
07/08/2019 21:29:19

Struth Colin!

I've known people have a peck from pusher models when hand launching but that's shocking and a wake-up call to us all. Thanks for sharing and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Regards, Marty

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
04/07/2019 21:53:59

Hi all,

I don't normally buy foamies but another club member turned up with one of these a few weeks ago and I was very impressed with how it flew, so I had to have one. Slow roll to take-off and you need short grass to land to avoid nose overs.

Sea Fury.jpg

Thread: CAA registration consulation
28/04/2019 11:49:50

Talking of competency tests - how would you rate Westminster's performance these last 3 years? Perhaps we'll have a chance soon to give them their grades.

Marty

26/04/2019 21:36:58

Hi all,

I don't often 'go off on one' but what will this scheme achieve? Has anyone ever been killed by a DRONE?

About 70 people were killed in London last year with knives - are all knife uses registered?

Anyway, this is my online submission -

Why not follow the French and make it free as the BMFA have offered their database of all responsible and insured model pilots in the UK.

I can see how this whole madcap scheme has come about (Gatwick fiasco) and it reminds me of the dangerous dogs act 1991, brought about by a few tragic cases of children mauled to death by their family 'pet,' fuelled on by headlines in the tabloid press and knee-jerk reactions from politicians in the 'silly season'.

The same people who allow a Pitbull terrier to baby sit will not take any notice of this legislation and will do whatever they like, point lasers at aircraft, fly their drones into ATZs, carry knives and drive uninsured/unlicensed cars and kill people for fun.

Meanwhile responsible, proficient and registered BMFA members will be the first to get an armed response unit to kick their front door down at dawn when another moron transgresses the ANO in their local.

The world is going madder!

Thread: Zenoah 38 conundrum
16/04/2019 09:42:54

This is probably a long shot Martin but these symptoms remind me of the same problem I had with a brush cutter a while ago. I went through the carb rebuild and a swap routine but it would only fire and run on a prime through the plug hole.

Suspecting piston/cylinder problems I removed the silencer to find the exhaust port badly restricted with a carbon buildup. I'm wondering if your silencer has become partially restricted after the dead stick landing with crud or a loose baffle. I'm working on the principle that carburation begins at the air intake and ends at the end of the exhaust pipe and any restriction in the gas flow may not operate the carb diaphragm sufficiently.

Good luck, Marty

Thread: Blade Nano S2 Micro
02/04/2019 18:49:50

Hi CK,

Bit of a section here at RC groups -

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3233091-Blade-Nano-S2

Cheers, Marty

Thread: Expensive to crash in Africa
23/01/2019 15:26:36
Posted by Chris Freeman 3 on 23/01/2019 11:11:10:

I found this video on wattsup and thought it might be a good way of explaining why it is expensive to crash in Africa. The cost of hobby related are high due to long travel distances, small market, import taxes and poor rate of exchange. These are the same factors as the UK but we have additional challenges at some of the clubs when you are on the wrong side of the fence!

The colourful language can be forgiven due to the nature of the loss

**LINK**

I wouldn't take that Lion down!

Thread: AR6600T telemetry data?
26/11/2018 14:58:16

s5150002.jpgHi folks,

Had the Yak out yesterday having relocated the main RX and satellite further aft. The number of fades is well down now and the losses on B look OK. Losses on A were improved to 770 after this photo was taken by taping the long antenna at 90 * to the satellite's.

Room for improvement but getting better.

Cheers, Martys5150001.jpg

12/11/2018 16:26:37
Posted by Steve J on 12/11/2018 10:28:48:

What is powering the receiver? If is the BEC circuit in an ESC, then I would suggest fitting a UBEC.

Steve

Hi all,

Steve - yeah it's a BEC off the ESC. For now I think I'll reposition and adjust the orientation of the main and satellite RX, further away from the wing joiner and the lipo flight pack and see if that helps.

Many thanks for the input folks - I'll report back after the next outing.

Cheers, Marty

12/11/2018 09:54:11

DX8 telemetry.jpgAR6600T.jpgHi folks,

I've been using this AR6600T in my Yak this season and am trying to get these telemetry numbers down by repositioning the RX and their antennas. I've not had any holds yet but I'm struggling to improve on these figures. I would have thought that the airframe is pretty transparent but it does have a carbon wing joiner. Should I be worried by what I see on my TX?

Edited By Martin Fraser on 12/11/2018 09:55:13

Edited By Martin Fraser on 12/11/2018 09:56:43

Thread: BMFA Online Membership portal open for 2018 membership renewals
08/10/2018 17:41:52

Thanks John - all sorted nowsmiley

Marty

08/10/2018 16:41:03

Fallen at the first hurdle - can't remember my user namesad Ah, email address.blush

Edited By Martin Fraser on 08/10/2018 17:01:36

Thread: 1/8 scale Westland Wessex
04/10/2018 14:09:00

Hi David,

I hope your crew didn't leave you dangling on the winch line, then land-on and nearly crush you?laugh

I've been winched up from dry land for a demo for the WI once but never from the water. I can only just imagine that the underbelly of a SAR Wessex must have been a beautiful sight to all those people that we picked up in serious peril in the 70s.

Cheers, Marty

04/10/2018 10:52:10

Hi folks,

A wee clip from this summer's antics with the Wessex. It's one thing to drop things from an aircraft but you try picking things up! But hey, it is an SAR heli after all.

Cheers, Marty

Edited By Martin Fraser on 04/10/2018 10:59:21

Thread: Warwick flying site on the race course
17/07/2018 19:20:40

We stopped off there last year at the caravan site and I wished I had something to fly. Huge open spaces and some lovely mowed areas.cryingwarwick.jpg

Edited By Martin Fraser on 17/07/2018 19:21:07

Thread: To brake or let prop windmill?
15/03/2018 09:10:44

Hi Peter, The strip at one of my clubs is quite short and is surrounded on all sides by tall hedges and trees, some of them pretty mature with an unnatural appetite for flying machines laugh. Landing on a calm day can be a challenge!

Cheers, Marty

14/03/2018 18:37:08

Ok folks, I'll keep it as is i.e. no brake - every little helps to slow down the approach speed!

Many thanks for the input, Marty

13/03/2018 18:50:47

Hi folks, What is the perceived wisdom for programming the esc on electric power? I'm tweaking some settings on a recent purchase of TT Yak 54 and wondering if a wind milling prop creates more drag than a braked prop.

T.I.A. Marty

Thread: Old glow fuel - how to dispose of?
25/02/2018 14:21:23

Posted by brokenenglish on 24/02/2018 19:57:39:

As "sometimes" happens, IMO this discussion is way too technical and OT.

Going back to the original post, my answer would be that I personally have used 20-year old glow fuel, from a plastic container, that was perfectly OK. So it doesn't "go off" (and others seem to agree).

This seems to indicate that, if there is a problem, then it's due to some factor other than simply the age of the fuel.

Are you sure the fuel hasn't been polluted or messed with in some way?
We all know that methanol is hygroscopic but, within reasonable limits, that shouldn't have a disastrous effect on your engine running.

Are you sure your engine is OK (properly set up and running well).
If the engine isn't running well, a first check would be to determine whether you're getting better results on a different fuel.

I've been running the Saito on Opti 4 stroke MV15 and she's been lovely. Nice steady idle and smooth power all the way to full throttle, without any hic-ups in flight! So I don't think there's anything amiss there. The fuel has come to me as part of a shed clear-out so I don't know how old it is or whether it's be mixed with anything else.

I'll pop along to Steve Webb's soon and get some more MV15. In the meantime, I'll offer the above to anyone who needs some engine cleaner.

Cheers, Marty

24/02/2018 16:23:22

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I've just noticed it's got a price label on the cap - £5.45. Anyone like to guess its vintage? I don't have any gummy engines to clean so I might ask fellow club members if they can use it in a R/C car or something. The last take-off was a bit touch and go and nearly ended in a dead stick landing into a fence - not nice. One thing's for sure, it's not going in the tank of my car!

Cheers, Marty

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us