By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lucas Hofman

Here is a list of all the postings Lucas Hofman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
15/06/2020 13:43:38

What ESC are you using? I am using one from FMS that was recommende with the EDF unit. I think I have read somewhere about someone having to change an ESC to get good results?

15/06/2020 12:59:16

350 to 400 gr. of thrust is very little. Mine gives 580 (nose down on a scale). That would eplain any dificulty in getting away.

I do not have much difference with/without battery hatch. If you have the problem might be the air intake. Open up more and make sure all sides are camfered as shown on the plan.

My old LiPo's did not deliver enough, so I had to change. But not to more that 40C.

Try to find why (in the workshop) why you are not getting more thrust and fix it there. That should make a difference.

Regards, Lucas

ps. Impressive to get so good pictures from only one flight!

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 15/06/2020 12:59:55

05/06/2020 07:57:45

Trevor, I gave my launcher a pair of disposable gloves to avoid contact contamination. Keeping a distance is not a problem.

Good luck, Lucas

03/06/2020 08:39:41

Looking good!

Go for an open area for your first flights I was surprised at how quikly it becomes a small dot in the sky, and since the glide is flat you should not have to come in for landing over trees or hedges. Good luck.

Lucas

29/05/2020 12:25:47

Thanks Dick.

Your experience fits with mine in that I found aileron deflection as per plan ok but the elevator response sluggish on +/- 6mm (with 30% expo). Have now changed to +/- 8, so let us see how that goes.

Lucas

29/05/2020 07:08:03

Congratulations Dick!

May I ask you what settings you ended up with (mm up/down and expo)?

Lucas

Thread: The Norwegian Gnat Squad
27/05/2020 15:31:20

Ready to fly again:

img_6968.jpg

25/05/2020 07:44:12

The repair is well underway. I double the damaged former(with holds the battery sidewise). And put a 2mm balsa plate under the area with the small fragments.

img_6957.jpg

Some extra wood to align and top deck:

img_6958.jpg

and glueing everything back together:

img_6960 (1).jpg

All holes were sparkled with light weight car body filler and sanded afterwards. I noticed front and back fuselage have little contact after one cuts the battery hatch. I reinforced the gluejoint in the lower triagle stringers with 1mm ply plates in the air intakes and a piece of 25gr grass over the bottom of the fuse to the air intakes.

img_6963.jpg

Litt paintwork in the cockpit, glue the canopy back on and ready for covering again.

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 25/05/2020 07:45:14

24/05/2020 11:56:45

To John: I think it is too early to conclude that more elevator movement is needed. I have increased it by 15% but maybe more important reduced exponential from 30 to 10%. What do other fly with?

Main learning point for me is that a site with a straight in-out flying path is needed so that an aborted landing can be done by just opening the throttle keeping wings level and pull up after sufficient speed has been reached.

Also trim in 1-2 mm up elevator straight away. At launch you may need a bit of up elevator to prevent a dive before flying speed has been reached.

23/05/2020 20:42:35

The maiden was eventful, to say the least. I had chosen a site where the launcher could stand about 4 m. over the terrain. At launch she sank a bit and then was away like a scalded cat. Very quickly very small.

I had to trim the elevator up a lot before she would fly straight and level. Elevator authority was lacking with the specified 6 mm up and down and 30% expo. Aileron was ok.

What I had not though well through about this site was the lack of a straight line in and out for landing and abort. When coming I saw the gnat going too far and when aborting I pulled a turn with too low speed. The inner wing dropped and touched the grass, with a cartwheel leaving the fuselage cracked before the wing.

Damage after removal of the covering is a separated fuselage:

img_6955.jpg

23/05/2020 20:33:52

And ready for maiden:

img_6954.jpg

Cross fingers!

19/05/2020 06:50:33

Congratualations!

May I ask how you put the blue on the canopy. Is it self-adhesive vinyl or shrink film. If the latter, did you do anything special to avoid distorting the canopy?

Regards,

Lucas

13/05/2020 21:28:10

Found out that on the nose it works better not to use a template, but cut oversize. Fix in the middle and shrink the film while putting it bit by bit down. Like one does on wingtips.

img_6921.jpg

13/05/2020 09:29:08

I did some testing with different batteries and found big differences between them. My 6 year old 25C Turnigy batteries delivered about 450 gr thrust. A new 45C Gensace 2300 mAh battery delivered 630 gr without battery hatch and 580 with the battery hatch closed.

Check yours on the scale. I put the plane nose down on the scale, hold it lightly and open the throttle. If you spin up the first time and have your face over the exhaust you get a lot of balsa dust in your face (do not ask how I know....)

13/05/2020 09:20:01

Started covering. This is a time consuming model to cover. Here I have make a paper template to avoid having to cut film on the model.

img_6920.jpg

12/05/2020 07:09:44

Does anyone know if there is a file somewhere with all the decals for the yellow version as described in the article? That would save quite a bit of work.

Lucas

10/05/2020 20:08:33

Beatifull cockpit Steve! And also covered the insides of air intakes! May I ask what the weight of your Gnat is?

I glued the cockpit in place tonight:

img_6914.jpg

Covering is next. This is a complicated model to cover, with all flying surfaces already attachted and many "bulbs" on the fuselage. We will see how it goes.

Regards, Lucas

10/05/2020 19:59:31

Oh dear, looks like I have started something which has ignited some members....

I must admit I only fly models with motors, not engines. Neither I.C. nor steam. And, with the risk of inflaming some, neather would any full size aircraft designer/builder have done if they would have had the option of vibration free, low maintenace and very reliable electric propulsion that we model aircraft operators have.

But back to the connectors. Low vibration makes a difference for the solution choosen. And a 600 gr. electric model is likely to have a different optimal solution compared to a 15 kg scale model with a 100 cc 2 cycle petrol engine.

Glued the canopy tonight. Now it is only covering left. 550 gr. including battery at this stage. I think she will be on or below the target weight of 620gr.

Lucas

09/05/2020 20:57:33

Time to close the canopy:

The advantage of 3D printed pilot is that one easily can scale them down...

09/05/2020 20:30:17

Thanks tim, I will try on an offcut first. Real soon now.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!