By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lucas Hofman

Here is a list of all the postings Lucas Hofman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Norwegian Gnat Squad
09/04/2020 20:52:12

Trust tube in place. I do not remember who gave the tip of some pipe isolation material to press the thrust tube to F10. I did not have the correct diameter of pipe isolation foam, but a little sponge did the job just as well.

img_6800.jpg

Started with the nose block. This is going to be some sanding!

img_6801.jpg

Cheers, Lucas

Thread: Geoff's Jet Provost - Build Log
08/04/2020 21:15:33

When there is enough power is should fly. Might be a fast landing though.

Good luck with the maiden, when you are allowed too.

Here in Norway restrictions have been eased so we can fly again on our patch, with some distance between us.

Lucas

07/04/2020 20:44:03

A little progress today. The fan is in place, glued with silicon. Hot glue always burned my fingers and I remember it to be brittle when cold.

Used a square at the end to check that the sides are parallel. Tomorrow we will pull the sides together are see if they ar....

img_6790.jpg

06/04/2020 09:19:03

I had expected more too. But this was with 4-5 year old 25C battery. But at least it showed me there is nothing wrong with the fan and I can glue it in the model tonight.

I wondered whether silicon may be better then hot glue since it will remain somewhat flexible. What do you think?

Regards, Lucas

06/04/2020 08:55:24

Started with the fuselage. Rectangular sanding blocks ensure formers being glued on 90 degress to the sides.

img_6786.jpg

I did a trial run of the fan at this stage. Smooth running but only 30A with a full battery. Is that enough or do I need to get fresh batteries?

Cheers, Lucas

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
31/03/2020 14:14:39

Anybody used tape hinges instead of fuzzy one's? The stabilers/elevators/ailerons are thin, and it is then easier to bevel one side and fix them with tape.

Any opinions on whether this is good or not?

Lucas

29/03/2020 12:30:46

Thanks Tim, I will do that.

I did not find many build blogs. Are they in other places that in the Mass Build area?

Lucas

28/03/2020 20:34:23

Profiling the wings tonight. I did not manage to mark the edges as described on the drawings. However, by putting the wing flat on the board beside a 1.5mm balsa flake one gets perfect lines straigh away:

img_6773.jpg

Using a plane was a little uncontrolled (the plane buried itself in the balsa). I bevelled the wings with a big sanding block with 120 paper.

Lucas

ps. anybody reading this, or is everyone already finished with his mini jet?

27/03/2020 20:45:57

Started at last. Covering the building board with a clean piece of film is always a milestone:

img_6764.jpg

I show my method of glueing wing sheeting together (this should after all provide some support for new builders). For most glue joints I use PVA (white glue), which remains elastic, but here aliphatic glue is used, because it sands better.

Step 1: fit the pieces together, sand a straight and perpendicular edge to each. Degrease and put a peace of tape over the joint.

img_6765.jpg

Fold open and apply glue

img_6766.jpg

Close the joint (tape down on the board). Weight the parts so they lay flat. Glue will oose out.

img_6767.jpg

and scrape away superfluous glue

img_6769.jpg

For thin sheets (i.e. when covering a wing) I tape the top side of the joint too. Here it is not needed.

Inspection by the master of the house

img_6772.jpg

Cheers, Lucas

Thread: Forum 2020 Mass Build discussion.
23/03/2020 09:00:24

Gents,

Is the C rating of the battery critical? I have a few 20-30C (20C continous, 30C for 10s.) packs lying around, and the fan should not draw more than 40A (which is less then 20C on a 2200mAh pack). So in theory this should be good enough.

But is it in practice. When spinning up the fan on the bench I did not notice much RPM increase after half throttle. I have not measure current or voltage though.

Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 23/03/2020 10:03:44

21/03/2020 21:05:18

Some more progress:

mortenfuse.jpg

Mounting the thrust tube:

mortenfantube.jpg

And the air intakes:

mortenairintakes.jpg

Morten is still the only one building. I hope to start real soon now...

Lucas

21/03/2020 21:03:13

Some creativity in creating the thrust tube: Morten, one of the builders experienced that his tube material was to stiff to bend to the required diameter. He came up with the following solution:

mortenthrusttubebaking.jpg

150 degrees centigrade for 10 minutes. The result is this:

mortenbakedthrusttube.jpg

I wonder whether the ridges will lead to loss of thrust.

Regards,

Lucas

18/03/2020 13:30:39

To avoid local virus spreading our national assosiation has strongly advised all clubs to cancel any activities, so this will not be a club evening build. However, Morten has started. As a graphical designer his planes always look good:

20200318mortencolours.jpg

And his first steps. He is using a building board of 5 cm blue foam, which is both stiff, light and take pins very well:

20200318mortenfirststeps.jpg

Cheers

Lucas

18/03/2020 13:26:36

At last the kits arrived in Norway: (just before the borders where closed...)

img_6733.jpg

Thread: TN Hawker Hunter Mini jet
27/02/2020 19:53:21

This is looking good Gary!

Lucas

09/01/2020 12:55:27

We purchased (on Banggood) DHV56MG servo's. Digital, 5.6 gr, 1.2 kgcm, 0.10 sec. And a pleasant 6GBP price tag.

I have never used these before. They look good whn testing on on the bench after arrival: zero slack on the shaft, little play in the gear, nearly soundless and (as far as one can judge that) they seem to center consistently.

servotest.jpg

And the first one survived 500 cycles.

Lucas

09/01/2020 12:44:42

Morten (on of the other building) found laminating pouches. After being run trough the laminating machine (without paper in between) it ended up like this:

folien morten.jpg

0.2 mm. Would that be OK?

Lucas

09/01/2020 12:39:22

Not at our rate of chatting versus glueing....

Lucas.

Thread: Forum 2020 Mass Build discussion.
07/01/2020 13:55:56

Norwegian Gnat Squad build thread started: https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=148413#2526685

Happy building!

Lucas

07/01/2020 13:53:11

The kits have arrived in the London office:

kits arrived.jpg

Now I wait for a colleage to bring them to Norway.

The FMS units are supposed to be send from China in the last week of January. So by the end of Feb all should be here.

Lucas

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us