By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lucas Hofman

Here is a list of all the postings Lucas Hofman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How many mass build Renaissance
13/09/2019 13:23:33

Nice colour scheme Pete!

Thread: Skywriter Design
30/06/2018 20:23:54

Ray, i found the position of the pln to be good. I tried first with a more rearward position, but she was unpleasant to fly.

My ailerons have less throw, about 3-4 mm down, 6-8 up. Start with little; you do not need to roll during the first flight, but if you have too much you can’t make decent turns and will have problems with keeping the wings level, which may be the end of the model.

Thread: Gentle Curves - Lucas his Skywriter
18/06/2018 21:15:19

After ending 2nd in a landingcompetion (power off in downwind, fly base and final and land on the line) I wanted to give a little present to "Gentle Curves". A customized wooden prop and a propeller nut from justengines:

img_5156.jpg

Gentle Curves is very easy to side slip, which makes landings that much more controlled.

Cheers, Lucas

24/05/2018 09:04:01

At last a flying shot from a very nice session last last night:

33301716_936637776496886_6664360161743732736_n[1].jpg

and coming in for landing

33400759_936637823163548_7973341291620597760_n[1].jpg

Mounting a 6 mm wedge between undercarriage and fuselage did the trick. It brings the axle about 30mm forward. Now she is not nosing over any more and tracking better on the ground too.

Regards, Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 24/05/2018 09:05:00

Thread: Low pass Pete's MB2017 Skywriter build
13/05/2018 20:50:50

Congratualations Pete! I share your comments about the silver wings. mine are the same top and bottom and when rolling one needs to count half rolls to know when she is inverted.

However when flying close it is not an issue, and then you can enjoy the model even better!

Lucas

10/05/2018 19:04:17

Posting twice was more tired then pleased, I think.

Two more flights early this morning. Now with 40gr more lead in the nose. Feels good now. A slight pull-up when idling 45 degree down and a little push needed in inverted flight. She turns much tighter then the Ballerina, but I start to be convinced that no inner wing stall will occur.

It is possilble to spin, easier than Ballerina. Recovery is automatic when neutralizing rudder and elevator. The powertrain gives enough oomph for big cuban 8's, but will run out of steam on a contiued inverted 45 degree up-line, as expected.

When landing with a little power and - at touch down - full up elevator a nose over is avoided. But with no power she goes. That said, our strip is mostly moss, which has more friction that grass.

I think we will be friends. But first the landing gear needs some work.

Regards, lucas

09/05/2018 22:21:18

Maiden at last:

img_5044.jpg

Late in the evening, with little wind. CG a little too far backwards, but still controllable. Stall is a non event (thanks to the thick airfoil I think).

And after landing:

img_5045.jpg

Ground handling is not too good. She is very sensitive on the rudder on take off and tends to nose over. I will try with some bigger wheels and tilting the undercarriage so the axles come 20mm more forward.

But she flies!

09/05/2018 22:21:16

Maiden at last:

img_5044.jpg

Late in the evening, with little wind. CG a little too far backwards, but still controllable. Stall is a non event (thanks to the thick airfoil I think).

And after landing:

img_5045.jpg

Ground handling is not too good. She is very sensitive on the rudder on take off and tends to nose over. I will try with some bigger wheels and tilting the undercarriage so the axles come 20mm more forward.

But she flies!

Thread: Timís Grumpy Tigercub
16/04/2018 06:43:55
Posted by Tim Ballinger on 15/04/2018 17:26:46:

Ground was really soft, so much so that from nose to F2 was still buried in the earth, trouble was it was not attached to the rest of the fuze. That bit looks repairable. Rest is shall we say rapid deceleration damage. Front wing dowel broke out but took a chunk of Wing le with it. Awkward bit seems to be that a lot of the LE sheeting has come away along the glue line with the LE of one wing where the dowel burst out.. Only got up the steel to start examining things today but all electrics and powertrain & battery's seem fine.

suffice to say there is a bit of work to do before she flys again.

sorry to hear about the P40 Ron, that probably trumps my tale of woe.

Tim

Very irritating. You have not had that many hours flying time with the modell. The good this is that you know how everything fits together and have the drawing of all the parts.

Lucas

Thread: Simon's Skywriter Build
10/04/2018 06:56:48

'Simon, thanks for the info. I have my ailerons top hinges, but have been too lazy in beveling the ailerons. The result is max deflection down of about 5 mm. Have them set up now with 8mm up, 4mm down.

I made my aileron horn of 1.5mm carbon, but I think the interlink horns are ply. However, the holes will not enlarge:

img_4976[2].jpg

Ball links on the interlinks. Slopfree and since the lug is clamped between the ball and the washer the holesides are not loaded. With hindsight I should have make the aileron - servo connection the same way (treaded bolt in a bolt is a lousy bearing).

Lucas

Thread: Timís Grumpy Tigercub
09/04/2018 11:17:20

You would have detected a completely dead battery before takeoff Tim. I only have receivers/servo's powered from the main battery (and even if you run them down so far that the ESC shuts off the motor you have enough for receiver/servo's for quite a long glide down) so I am not familiar with the problem.

However, does one not always goes out to the field with a fully charged battery?

Regards, Lucas

08/04/2018 15:05:09

Ready!

Mounted everything. A disappointing amount of weight is needed to get the CG on 70mm from the leading edge. I glued 80gr. into the firewall (stick on steel weigths used for balancing car wheels are great for this), and will for the first flights fix another 80gram to the battery.

img_4970[2].jpg

Quite often I move the CG more aft after the first few flight to limit the amount of push needed when flying inverted. Let us hope that will be the case here too.

img_4971[2].jpg

img_4972[1].jpg

The powertrain pulls 38A (about 500W) which a half full battery. Should be enough I think.

The ice is not reliable anymore, and there is still 30cm of slowly melting snow on our strip. It will be a few weeks until the maiden.

Regards, Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 08/04/2018 15:05:58

Thread: Simon's Skywriter Build
05/04/2018 06:47:05

Very good looking Simon!

I am nearly finished with mine now. what are your deflections on rudder/elevator and ailerons after a season flying?

Regards, Lucas

04/04/2018 20:56:52

with those batteries I will need some weight at the tail end! But probably 2 hours flight times....

I have glued the center 4 lugs. With slow epoxy, to make sure I had ample time to adjust the incidence to make it equal to the lower wing. Check and check again.... And then do not come near the model!

Time for the interconnection rods between the ailerons:

img_4957[1].jpg

Threaded one ball link and glued the other. Should be a slop free adjustable link this way.

Lucas

04/04/2018 17:20:16

One last big job (and one that scares me a little) : mounting the upper wing. Mount all struts first:

img_4956[1].jpg

Then the upper wing in place (without glue):

img_4955[1].jpg

Happily everything fitted and it is not difficult to get the incidences of both wing alike.

Lucas

Thread: Low pass Pete's MB2017 Skywriter build
03/04/2018 12:16:26

This is looking really good Pete!

Lucas

28/03/2018 08:16:00

Not likely Tim, there is still half a meter of snow on our strip. And the ice on the fjord/lakes gets ugly, with pools of water/ice between snow. late April I guess.

Lucas

28/03/2018 07:10:46

The flappy bits flap:

img_4697[1].jpg

Quite please with the rudder horn. It looks much better the the elevator horn. Since it did not take much time to make I think I will more often make my own horns in the future.

Happy Easter, Lucas

27/03/2018 12:13:58

Now are we in the ARF stage:

img_4690[2].jpg

Not long now before ready for trials.

Cheers, Lucas

23/03/2018 07:23:47

Colours engage, that is for sure!

A pink helmet maybe. I know how to spray now.

​Off course any 1/6 scale Swarovski's that come in the post will be used.

But how do I do the cockpit coaming? I have read about using fuel tube but that does look rubber, not the leather one often sees on open cockpit coamings.I did skip that on the Ballerina

Lucas

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us