By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lucas Hofman

Here is a list of all the postings Lucas Hofman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Timís Grumpy Tigercub
11/12/2017 06:53:23
Posted by Peter Miller on 10/12/2017 17:41:04:

Oh yes. The idea is that the sheet rests on top and under the 1/8" leading edge and then the 1/8" sheet Leading edge capstrip goes over the lot. This actually forms a rebate in the leading edge for the sheet. Very simple, light and strong.

I find it easier to lift the bottom sheet (using t.e. stock or anything wedgy) before​ fitting the leading edge. I lift it dry and then run superphatic along all the ribs. After drying you have a nice step to set the (chamfered) leading edge on.

Lucas

11/12/2017 06:28:48

Posted by Peter Miller on 10/12/2017 15:14:23:

Lots of horrible white stuff here. My Work bench is covered with a huge wing being joined to the wing tip and so has to stay like that until tomorrow so I did my Christmas cards.

Gents, what do you mean with "horrible white stuff"? This?:

cub on skies.jpg

Good flying yesterday. Needs to get out in the middle of the day though, only a few daylight hours.

Cheers, Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 11/12/2017 06:31:01

Thread: Gentle Curves - Lucas his Skywriter
08/12/2017 09:23:54

He covered it i one sentence. But I found a good description here.

Lucas

08/12/2017 08:12:19

I hope so. Need to start finding out what I need to glass the fuselage. I remember reading about how to do this, but where was that?

Lucas

08/12/2017 06:46:07

The loft is finished! I promised myself I can build a plane, maybe more than one, before starting on the next big house job. So I hope to move faster with Gentle Curves now.

Yesterday glued the remaining bits on the top of the fuse:

top fuse aft glued.jpg

Cowling is next, and then the whole can be sanded.

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 08/12/2017 06:47:05

08/12/2017 06:39:35

You will be flying in no-time Tim!

05/12/2017 10:56:58

Your new WHAT powered model Peter? Are you seeing the light? Who would have thought that?

Cheers, Lucas

05/12/2017 10:51:34

Nice!

A more tidy solution is generally a more reliable solution either. Moving ESC's when you change batteries will lead sooner or later to solder joints breaking og connectors becoming slightly unplugged.

Do not listen to Peter; he is just jealous on the clean silent models we are building compared to the rattling noisy smelly birds he has to deal with

Regards, Lucas

04/12/2017 13:06:35

Very much so. Can you not mount the ESC horizontally (vertically stacked with a spacer allowing airflow) a litte further back? The fuse is narrow, but quite high. This way is is difficult to get the battery in/out.

Just a thought, Lucas

04/12/2017 12:55:26

Thanks Tim,

I intend to mount the ESC under the batteriplate. That is fairly easy from the front but next to impossible from the top. That was/is the reason. In addition any lead required can be embedded in the cowl from the inside.

Lucas

03/12/2017 21:17:16

Small step again:

top fuse glued.jpg

Not much progress this weekend, but the loft is planked and today the ice was thick enough for flying.

Cowling is next. I think I will make that demountable. Easier to mount/unmount the motor that way.

01/12/2017 09:14:39

Small motors to run such big propellers. Your results are close to the nominal specs, so when cooled well they should survive. How do you measure the static trust?

Lucas

ps. Tempted to start with a tigercub, but really should finish the other 2 first....

01/12/2017 07:42:18

Undercarriage is done. Not completely satisfied with the result so may replace with a -for me- normal carbon fibre leg if the Skywriter becomes a favourite.

Next is the decking in front. Peter Miller method this time:

fuselage front decking.jpg

Bending en glueing them in place tonight.

30/11/2017 10:59:47
Posted by Peter Miller on 30/11/2017 10:37:59:

Not as bad as my current project! 18" chord.

Probably too big for RCM&E then. By the way, what is the best method for making the ribs for a tapered wing? Block method (template for root and tip rib and sand all in one go or gluing the plan on 2 blanks of balsa and cut/sand each pair by hand?

Lucas

30/11/2017 10:47:48

Starts to look very nice Tim. Your fuselage sides must be longer then 36''. Did you build them from 2 pieces or did you use longer balsa?

Lucas

ps. Is that a Skywriter in teh background?

30/11/2017 08:03:04

Thanks Denis. What kind of soap are we talking about here? dishwashing fluid, hand soap? Lucas

30/11/2017 07:31:53

At last some hours in the workshop again. Time to get the legs in place. I use (to save weight aft) a skid a la Ballerina:

tail skid.jpg

To ensure blind nuts are aligned with the bolts I use those to pull in the blind nuts (after putting 5min epoxy between the nut and the wood (put a little oil on the bolt to prevent it sticking to the epoxy):

pulling blind nuts square.jpg

I have a dural gear leg I intend to reuse. It is a little to wide, so will need to be rebend. Can anyone refresh my memory how to anneal Dural again?

main gear.jpg

Top of the fuselage is next.

Lucas

29/11/2017 08:44:24
Posted by Tim Ballinger on 28/11/2017 10:24:59:

Lucas, Good to hear from you, hows the Skywriter coming along ?

Hi Tim, little progresss on the Skywriter due to a big house job. (now planking 70m2 loft, 30m2 to go...).

Quite heave stuff you bought for you Tigercub. Have you enlarged the model?

Cheers, Lucas

28/11/2017 09:52:47

Posted by Tim Ballinger on 17/11/2017 08:42:59:

The legs are from HK John. Spent more time on the net deliberating on what to get than I ever did fitting them ! They didn’t cost the earth so when I bend them ,as I surely will, I will not feel too bad . Hopefully the rake and the big spring will help. Did have to wait for them to come from the Hong Kong warehouse though. The retract itself is also stand HK but availible from UK warehouse.

Tim, do you have a link (or SKU) to the legs and the retract units?

Regards, Lucas

17/11/2017 07:41:26

At last some progress again (isolating the loft needs to take priority now). Cut lightening holes in the bottom aft planking and glued the bits in place. Steel shot in little bags works well to give gentle, distributed pressure.

bottom aft glued.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us