By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rob Jones 2

Here is a list of all the postings Rob Jones 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: who is at fault?????
13/09/2014 17:54:45
Posted by Wiltshire Flyer on 12/09/2014 15:10:27:

C'mon rob let it go ��

I will.I was just trying to be helpful.sigh....

Thread: That'll teach me for doing the right thing!!
11/09/2014 23:32:37

Honesty is it's own reward.

There is such a thing as karma, at the end of the day you will not have lost out by this. Trust me.Or trust JB Priestley as in "An inspector Calls!"

11/09/2014 23:19:21

Okay, sorry if I sounded abusive.

We can accept it and move on, or make a crusade of it.

I read in the paper recently of a chap who bought a defective laptop from PC World, he fought for his rights for 20 years, lost his job, house, family,(probably his sanity, or maybe that was just taken on holiday by his wife when she went off with a new man) was finally vindicated in the High Court and was awarded the £600 instead of the £300 compensation he was offered. Whoopee!

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 11/09/2014 23:20:19

Post edited for language and provocative content

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/09/2014 23:27:52

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/09/2014 23:29:12

Thread: A invoice for nothing, with a threat.
11/09/2014 23:03:18

Divert to span folder and delete at your leisure. You may also occasionally get emails telling you have won euro millions or been named as a beneficiary of a Nigerian mining executive. Also spam.

For peace of mind, download and run Mawarebyes Free, which flags up PUPs, and always run Microsoft Security Essentials (free from windows).You can also run MS virus scanner occasionally.

For what it is worth, I download torrents, films and TV, etc., and the only protection I need is free, as mentioned above.

It is always worthwhile also carrying out routine maintenance, trusted sites are Bleeping computer and Windows Secrets.

10/09/2014 09:24:53

I take your points, Jamie.

Perhaps I should rant at the internationals ......but even they are following a good business model.

Progress, I suppose. We lose local shops but we gain cheap technology, sometimes with poor QC..

10/09/2014 00:15:55
Posted by Jamie sawyer on 09/09/2014 23:57:07:

As they sold it to him it is there obligation to refund or replace. I run a business and have had products fail or break that clients have bought from me. If they are under warranty then I just go and replace the item.....remove it from there possession and return it to the party that I received it from and I get refunded as the business owner. Its a very simple process Rob and you work down the chain.....I'm not getting into a public debate about it with you but you have bashed the thread all the way through and he's clearly proven that the air frame is inadequate due to poor construction and flaws in the wing. It flew for lets say 20 minutes at best ..........thats poor no matter how you cut it..

Jamie

But it is not that clear cut Jamie.

RC model planes, by their nature crash. So do full-size. when it comes to that. Pilot error is often considered, though not always proved.

We are not talking about a toaster that burns bread after only 3 uses. We are talking more in terms of a horse that bucks you off when you jump it the third time.

A skilled rider walks, talks and ground handles the horse before taking it over jumps...

If you want to eliminate crashes, use a sim..

what if the owner flies successfully 100 times. On the 101th flight, a component broke, or the radio snagged. What, after 10 years, a supposedly sound component snapped? Is there a time period  between which we can aerobat and not aerobat? When can we claim?

I stand by what I say, shame on you for maligning a model shop for doing their best to restitute.

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 10/09/2014 00:25:03

10/09/2014 00:15:42
Posted by Jamie sawyer on 09/09/2014 23:57:07:

As they sold it to him it is there obligation to refund or replace. I run a business and have had products fail or break that clients have bought from me. If they are under warranty then I just go and replace the item.....remove it from there possession and return it to the party that I received it from and I get refunded as the business owner. Its a very simple process Rob and you work down the chain.....I'm not getting into a public debate about it with you but you have bashed the thread all the way through and he's clearly proven that the air frame is inadequate due to poor construction and flaws in the wing. It flew for lets say 20 minutes at best ..........thats poor no matter how you cut it..

Jamie

But it is not that clear cut Jamie.

RC model planes, by their nature crash. So do full-size. when it comes to that. Pilot error is often considered, though not always proved.

We are not talking about a toaster that burns bread after only 3 uses. We are talking more in terms of a horse that bucks you off when you jump it the third time.

A skilled rider walks, talks and ground handles the horse before taking it over jumps...

If you want to eliminate crashes, use a sim..

09/09/2014 23:43:21
Posted by Jamie sawyer on 09/09/2014 23:35:41:

Well Andy I think you have been treated Disgracefully with the whole thing. A 50 % refund is terrible and a complete cop out of a full refund or just a replacement airframe. Rob Jones if the LMS was making a 30% Profit then for a further £40 they could have just replaced his aircraft at a zero profit margin !!! Everyone would have been happy and the case would have been closed. Instead they have ignored him until they relised he wasn't going to go away..

Lets just say goodbye to the local hobby shops then. I believe it was a pre-built plane in the first place, those of us who build our own know what goes into them.

Thread: Radian maiden
09/09/2014 23:28:47

How are you getting on with it? I have just started flying with a camera again, this time I hope to  get it right with no whistle, correct camera angle and slower ! Here is an old effort:http://youtu.be/6NPZtzJX3qw

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 09/09/2014 23:30:34

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 09/09/2014 23:31:49

09/09/2014 23:19:55

Well, this is another LHS bashing that will eventually see them all go.

They don't have the economic resources to make a total refund.

Companies like HK are international and can pay for R&D for new models, amongst other things.

LHS sell on and hope to make a 30% profit on sales - and they don't get too many sales as they can't compete on price. They survive on local expert knowledge and just being there at short notice when you just need a clevis or a servo lead.

They have already given you a 50% refund!

Shame on you, and shame on the clubs that support you!

I hope in future when you just need a glow plug or bolt on the field, you have to sent an email to Asia to get it!

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 09/09/2014 23:22:02

Thread: dx6 orange don't mix
09/09/2014 11:00:32
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/09/2014 18:45:35:

I said you should consider apologising - clearly you are not that sort of person, ie the sort that can even consider that they may have been a bit hasty with the words like "disgusting" describing other people's behaviour. Never mind - its takes a big man to admit he's done something wrong - clearly you're not that man.

In my view the only safety hazard on here KC is people buying cut price copy Rx's despite a clear warning from the primary manufacturer not to do so.

BEB

Oranges are not the only fruit.

Thread: Learning to fly in Cornwall, please help!
07/09/2014 08:40:47
Posted by Simon Hall 2 on 06/09/2014 15:22:13:
I chose the foamy Radian parkglider purely as it seemed right to start with, not because I want to fly it in the park every now and again chasing seagulls and annoying people.

Edited By Simon Hall 2 on 06/09/2014 15:25:40

Whether you continue to go it alone or join a club, you have made a great choice with the Radian,Simon.

06/09/2014 02:03:24

I agree with you entirely c8.

A tenner a month is a bargain for such facilities.

My only point is that it won't attract newcomers who have bought a RTF foamie complete with radio for £100.

They will just go to the local park (they are advertised as park fliers) and crash it.And then leave the hobby.

It depends on what you want. A club as small as Peters only wants fanatical modelers: the kind who can scratch build a Be2c in a few months.

I was just saying to the OP that the hobby has changed, youngsters want to buy and fly a WW2 warbird in a weekend.

If we cannot accommodate then we will lose them.

05/09/2014 01:58:11

I'll probably re-join a club soon. As has been said above, £100 or so is only £2 per week, and the entertainment value is immense! You'll see all sorts of modelers and models either being flown or failing to fly, some people are builders and others are flyers, etc.

My concern is merely that some clubs are too exclusive-Peter is satisfied that his club is restricted to 15 members, someone else thinks £181 is good value for money for a years subs. For that money you could buy a super quality radio system, or foam 2 metre Ju87 electric complete RTF (which newbies may well buy and try to fly).

I am personally happy with my little 3 channel floaters, but I think that if the hobby is to survive, existing clubs need to open their doors a bit wider and try to capture the park flyers and first-timers who otherwise will continue to be lone flyers (or more realistically lone non-flyers) in village parks.

And the drones. Don't forget the FPV drones!

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 05/09/2014 02:00:10

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 05/09/2014 02:01:18

02/09/2014 23:50:13

Cost of club membership is a very important factor which I think some people neglect. Just starting in the hobby costs a couple of hundred pounds- which is a large chunk of money to most people, especially youngsters.

Then they go out to their local park, thinking it can't be that hard as it looks easy on YouTube, and their plane within a very short while ends up in a bin bag and they become disillusioned.

I know the ideal answer is to join a club, but that does add a substantial amount to the initial outlay.

I am quite serious about my idea that clubs should offer reduced subscriptions to new members whatever age they are- and I know that some new recruits are retirees who at last have the time to follow hobbies.

I would be interested in the view of die-hard clubites to this idea.

Thread: Shepherds Hut Build project
01/09/2014 00:50:50

As this site is populated by skilled woodworkers, has anyone built a full-size shepherds hut, gypsy caravan or quirky mobile wooden hut, and has advice to share?

As I have just retired, and have more opinion than knowledge, I have agreed to build a shepherds hut at a fraction of the market price for a replica (about 3-6k) in the next 6 months.

01/09/2014 00:43:04
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 01/09/2014 00:35:25:

My goodness Rob, you sound like a well balanced chap - chip on both shoulders! wink

What I say is true, though, isn't it.

My dad used to build model planes, and I was a balsa-basher- it would be a shame if the hobby dies out because we could not adapt to attract youngsters.

Thread: Radian maiden
01/09/2014 00:21:25

Hi WF, have a look at this:**LINK**

I have just been banging on about the Radian in the "Cornwall please help" thread, I love the Radian!

Apart from mild aerobatics, including prop hanging ( I use a 2200 battery), I power up and switch off and see how long I can thermal. In fact, as my eye-sight is no longer good, I have to get it out of thermals as it would just keep climbing out of sight. The Radian is a fine plane, virtually silent and needs either a huge landing area, as it floats and floats, or none, as you can stall it into your hand!

I have also had a Radian Pro, definitely would not recommend it as it does not fly as good, and being a light foamie, in my mind the crow and other features are a gimmick.

The Radian is the plane I was searching for when I was building powered gliders 20 years ago.

Like you, I would definitely recommend it.A superb little plane.

01/09/2014 00:07:44

With regard to clubs, I think they should change their charging structure. Most charge adults a set amount with concessions to youngsters and sometimes, oaps (presumably because of the limited ability to pay of the latter two groups).

I think clubs should offer concessions to newbies, so newbies will be attracted to clubs.

This is what I believe: a lot of people are attracted to the idea of RC flying. They go out and buy the electric foamie they fancy (often a warbird, because they look so attractive, and can cost less than £100 RTF complete with radio), take it to the local park, crash it within three flights and decide the hobby is not for them).

If clubs offered annual membership with tuition for a newcomer for say, £20, the club would gain £20 with no effort or expenditure on their part, and they may gain a life-long member, and the hobby may gain some new blood.

Instead of that, if a newbie rings a club, more often than not they are directed to a stuffy committee member who bangs on about insurance and how difficult and awful the hobby is (quite likely this committee member is still upset over Leroy Cox bringing the hoi polloi into the hobby with his snap-starter nonsense!).

31/08/2014 23:32:34

Simon, I am surprised no-one has offered to give you a hand with flying outside of a club. I have personally been only too happy to offer advice or fly someone's plane when they have appeared where I live, and have been struggling a bit.

RC is like any new hobby or sport, those who have been around for a while forget how little the newbie knows.(I have fairly recently taken up horse riding, and in the last few weeks have started coarse fishing, it is only at the stable or lake-side that you really learn, and realize how much there is to learn!).

It is also easy to waste a lot of money without a bit of experience, so in that sense joining a club can save you a few bob. Still, with the £100 or so fees you could buy another Radian! I notice from some earlier posts of yours that it seems as if you may have stripped a servo, and decided to go for one with metal gears, in fact the Radian is so light that I use the cheapest 9g servos I could find (about £3 each, I think) and expect no problems.( I built one from parts after buying my first PNP).

I started flying electric after a 20 year layoff   and so had to find out what BNF,PNP, lipo, foamie, e(tc. all meant from scratch!

Also, the z-foam can be cut and patched to extreme amounts- a bit of tape here and there won't make any difference.

Have you checked out RCGroups?http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922599&highlight=RadianThey are a very helpful bunch across the pond, and they seem to have amore successful and gung-how approach to the hobby, and maybe have more fun! (also have a look at this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxqguF8sZSw

It seems to me some modelers are a bit too serious-minded, I can't see why someone who lives local to you won't offer to help you learn without joining a club, as long as you have a decent and safe place to fly in.

The Radian is a great little plane, it will teach you to do limited aerobatics, and you can also just power up to height, close the throttle and go thermalling! No noise pollution for people to complain about, either. Best of all,it is a great trainer, which is why I would always recommend it to someone who decides to go it alone. And easy to repair.

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 31/08/2014 23:35:03

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 31/08/2014 23:40:17

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 31/08/2014 23:45:02

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 31/08/2014 23:51:52

Edited By Rob Jones 2 on 31/08/2014 23:53:16

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us