By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Green

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Green has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pay Pal query
17/02/2020 16:00:22

Ditto. Conventional banks give next to no interest anyway so collect PP tokens and exchange them for new toys. Here Paypal is regulated as a bank by the CSSF so theres no reason to distrust them.

For my stuff I ask people to use 'gift' or 'send money to friends & family' to avoid fees, otherwise PP take a percentage. All they need is your PP email address.

Cheers
Phil

Thread: How wings generate lift
14/02/2020 11:29:54

If you build a biplane and the angle-of-attack on the top wing just happens by chance to come out exactly the same as the bottom wing, do you think thats a coincidence ?

Thread: Have I enough power?
30/01/2020 16:15:35

Ronos, please dont take this the wrong way but I would seriously suggest you put that 4.5kg scale model away for a while and get some electrics experience with a small sport model. 1000 to 1500 watts is an awful lot of power, its way, way above the average Sunday flyer's bag and if you are as inexperienced in this particular field as you say then personally I think you have a serious challenge of safety to yourself and to your clubmates. We appreciate that you're very experienced with large IC powered warbirds but electrics are different, and one-and-a-half kilowatts of electric is very very different. There are safety practises and throttle protocols that you've never had to even consider up to now - glows dont start themselves like electrics can and 1500 watts will take your your fingers off with ease, and it wont stop at that. I know you dont want to hear this but my suggestion is to gain some electrics experience with something more modest. Familiarise yourself not only with volts, amps and power, charging schedules, balancing, and more - but mostly the essential safety procedures of flying a large electric.

Thats my 2p anyway smiley

All the best

Phil

28/01/2020 12:33:29

What does your power meter read? You should be drawing over 60A to get a kilowatt from 4S.

smiley

Thread: Slope soaring sites near a camping site - help pleasee
11/01/2020 16:55:42

For Clwyd, we stayed at either Abbey Farm or Abbey Grange campsite, cant remember which of the two, it was a while back. Both are just south of the Clwyd slopes, on the A542 in the Llangollen direction.

I was told the club dont use Moel Ffamau any more, which is a shame

**LINK**

Edited By Phil Green on 11/01/2020 17:01:41

09/01/2020 10:55:20

Marfit Head farm is a great site for the Hole of Horcum, I've stayed there many times though to fly HoH you do need to be a NYMRSC member or arrange a 'day pass' with Jon Edison at **LINK**

The campsite is within walking distance but the HoH has a huge car park anyway... Marfit Head is a CC site but they welcome non members too. Its a working dairy farm but the facilities are immaculate. Theres the 'Fox & Rabbit' who do great meals just a couple of miles down the A169 and Dalby Forest trail park if you take your mountain bike. Dalby do a nice full English too.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 09/01/2020 15:35:04

06/01/2020 09:57:48
Posted by Robert whitaker on 05/01/2020 19:07:23:
callow bank is now a thing of the past
It was a great site for nearly 40 years but now the current farmer does not want anyone there
he has stuck large fence posts in all over the bank ,,,dozens and dozens of them
about 5 foot high every few meters
treat it as gone

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 05/01/2020 19:33:30

This is tosh. Yes there is an ongoing dispute with the tennant (the late landowners family is happy for us to fly there) but we continue to fly there regularly, in fact the situation has opened up Callow to non-members and we have a google groups board to arrange meeting up there.  Members were flying there only last Saturday, when they were visited by a few friendly but inquisitive cows!  The BMFA support our use and have offered legal assistance should this be necessary.

Posted by Robert whitaker on 05/01/2020 19:07:23:

"callow bank is now a thing of the past" No its not at all.

"It was a great site for nearlly 40 years" ... Nonsense, its documented that people have flown there since before WW1. I joined the SSA around age 11 and have flown there for 54 years, many members for much longer. It remains a great site.

"he has stuck large fence posts in all over the bank ,,,dozens and dozens of them". which we easily avoid

treat it as gone   -  No.  I notice this is your one and only post. Are you the tennant?

Back to camping, I can thoroughly recommend the Town Farm campsite at the foot of Ivinghoe Beacon, its a superb site, clean and very well equipped. You could walk to the Beacon in 10 minutes!

Heres the site seen from the West slope of Ivinghoe Beacon. The site is nearer than it looks!

img_20190915_160158.jpg

This gives a better perspective, looking across 'Tango' the campervan to the Beacon just 900 metres away.
In fact the campsite is exactly the same distance from the slope as the NT car park!

img_20190913_201226_327.jpg

Edited By Phil Green on 11/01/2020 16:44:19

Thread: Pureists Look Away
20/12/2019 23:52:10
Posted by Stuphedd on 20/12/2019 21:22:42:

But I wonder why anybody would want to ?? I made mine for fun !

A lot of the S/C lads would love an electric Babe Bee. A Cox is fundamental to a lot of older S/C designs but clubs insisting on silencers prevent their use, then theres all the gooey mess and the one-shot motor run... at one time I wrote to Xenalook (aka Cox) and also to HK asking if they would consider it, but of course, no joy.

You dont need a huge motor, a Babe Bee on song gave about 43 watts and a Tee Dee about 75 as I recall.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 20/12/2019 23:53:36

20/12/2019 19:19:22

Since he started, his prices have steadily increased to the point that its no longer tempting wink

These are old pricelists - they're about doubled now.

(sorry I spilled my tea on them)

cox_lecky_2.jpgIndeedy.

cox_lecky_1.jpg

Edited By Phil Green on 20/12/2019 19:20:49

Thread: RCM&E "All Write" depron biplanes
20/12/2019 16:43:35

These are the cartoon-scale WW1 "depron-dogfight" models referred to by Fred Burman in Decembers "All Write".

I love the simple, quick-build stuff but the Jivaro-models site is huge and I found these particular plans took some finding - so here's a direct link:

**LINK**

Quite how they manage to get a 24" depron model up to 400gms is a mystery, I havent built one yet but I'd expect more like 200 tops, my similarly sized depron Sharkface weighs about 100gm.

They do look like good fun especially in a group towing combat streamers smiley

Edited By Phil Green on 20/12/2019 16:50:45

Thread: Help Needed for Kids Xmas Bike Modification
13/12/2019 21:11:17

Hi Pat, I'm with Paul & Alex - at 5 she should be riding properly, no stabilisers

Our bike racing club starts Juniors racing on minimotos at six years old, quite a few are girls...

Edited By Phil Green on 13/12/2019 21:13:27

Thread: Jumper T16 is it me ?
23/11/2019 20:34:20

Remember though you must use TAER with the cheaper receivers that have failsafe only on channel 1

Thread: Average current draw
09/11/2019 19:09:00
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 09/11/2019 18:54:49:

John

Just remember that whilst the average current draw may be measured in ma the servo peak current can be more than 10 times as much.

Small batteries suffer voltage drop more than big ones. Receivers tend to be more voltage sensitive than servos and the loss of a receiver for just a second (not all recover than fast!) at the wrong time can be serious.

At situation best resolved by a low ESR pack, not by adding another equally poor cell in series
Cheers
Phil
www.4cells-are-enough.com

Thread: How much does an RC hot air balloon weigh?
06/11/2019 22:51:00

sorry Steve, you're right of course but I'd just been reading the CAA's own 'Consumer Registration' page...

caa_page.jpg

Thread: 1s LiPos and receivers
06/11/2019 13:20:44

Banggood do several Futaba-compatible s-fhss micro receivers

Thread: How much does an RC hot air balloon weigh?
05/11/2019 18:13:14

As the regs use the word 'weight' instead of 'mass'... go fly a huge R/C balloon perfectly legally!

Thread: Glossary - your forum needs you!
02/11/2019 18:23:50

In the interests of accuracy could I suggest a few corrections please David, all radio related...

Binding - a process that ensures the 2.4GHz receiver is recognised by the transmitter so the two can operate together. The actual process varies from brand to brand.
In a simple non-telemetry set this is wrong. The words 'transmitter' and 'receiver' need to be swapped. For telemetry sets, its half true as the link is bidirectional.

Brown Out - a momentary loss of operation of a receiver due to a drop in supply voltage below a minimum threshold. Normally a momentary effect only, and affects 2.4Ghz equipment rather than the older 35MHz radio.
Actually 'brown out' is a general term describing the unpredictable behaviour of any electronic system below its absolute minimum operational supply voltage (Spektrum users seem to think its 'their' word). It is not a behaviour unique to 2.4ghz receivers.

Crystal - the small component that determines which channel number you fly on. Both tx and rx need to have an identically matching crystal for the radio set to function. 2.4GHz spread spectrum sets don't require crystals.
No, the crystals are not identical and must differ in frequency by the appropriate IF.  They can also differ in multiplication factors, particularly for dual-conversion receiver crystals.   And all 2.4ghz equipment uses a crystal.

FASST - Futaba's 2.4GHz system brand name. Stands for Futaba Advanced Spread Spectrum Technology and uses warp-speed frequency hopping to ensure no breakdown of signal.
Actually FASST frequency hopping is very slow (8 milliseconds) relative to frequency spreading.

Frequency hopping - A system whereby some 2.4GHz radios hop from 2.4GHz band to band many times per second.
No they dont hop from band to band, they hop from channel to channel within the band

PPM - Pulse Width Modulation
No, PPM is Pulse Position Modulation !

Sorry to those who might feel this is pedantic, but surely a glossary is better if its right?

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 11/02/2020 16:47:45

02/11/2019 17:47:18
Posted in Glossary:

Mode 1 - refers to the set-up of the transmitter whereby the left stick operates the elevator and rudder, and the right stick operates the throttle and ailerons.

Mode 2 - refers to the set-up of the transmitter whereby the left stick operates the throttle and rudder, and the right stick operates the elevator and ailerons. Mode 3 and 4 also exist but are very rare in the UK.

Mode 3 - refers to the set-up of the transmitter whereby the left stick operates the elevator and ailerons, and the right stick operates the throttle and rudder.

Mode 4 - refers to the set-up of the transmitter whereby the left stick operates the throttle and ailerons, and the right stick operates the elevator and rudder.

Mode Zero - single-channel operation using no sticks at all - just a button.

Thread: NEW POLL - do you use a throttle kill switch?
30/10/2019 15:23:40

My own encoders have a hardware throttle lock switch which locks the throttle closed regardless of stick position, and also a soft-lock on the stick such that on switch-on, and immediately after the hardware lock has been released, the throttle must be fully closed before it will open.  It alarms to tell you if you're acting against either lock for any reason.  Also, for ESC safety, throttle is the only channel which can't be reversed.

I agree with others who have said that all lecky flyers should use throttle lock. Fingers are very delicate but essential and allowing the ketchup to escape is a Bad Thing 

Edited By Phil Green on 30/10/2019 15:34:01

Thread: On off switch
29/10/2019 16:43:42

Thats not a good plan Julian, with your new switch "off" your ESC and hence motors are still powered up until you unplug the lipo itself.
As the model appears to be switched off you might well forget and so fully discharge and thus destroy the lipo.

Also its not safe practise to effectively leave the signal input of a powered-up ESC floating, it could pick up noise and spin up.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 29/10/2019 16:47:11

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us