By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gordon Whitehead 1

Here is a list of all the postings Gordon Whitehead 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What have I got here ?????
06/08/2019 21:05:55

As it's an old British engine the gudgeon pin might well be a standard imperial diameter. Back in the 1960's I made a gudgeon pin for an Elfin 1.49 from either piano wire or silver steel rod, I can't remember which. I bought the Elfin from the late great and well known in East Lancs Arthur Garnett. It required the replacement gudgeon pin after it returned from a rebore, necessitated by a shaft run when a Frog polystyrene 7x4 burst, and it arrived back from the servicing with a gudgeon pin that was too short.

Further to Jeff's fuel suggestion, Ron Moulton's Model Aero Engine Encyclopaedia recommends the same 70% ether/30% oil (redex in his case) along with 1% amyl nitrite - if you can still get that from the village chemists as in days of yore. Maybe the petrol mix will substitute for the amyl nitrite.

Gordon

Thread: RCM&E September Issue.
03/08/2019 20:42:23

FWIW, silencer article writer and fellow club member John told me that he included the item link in his article submission, but evidently it was edited out. Probably because it was very long, like the link I posted above.

That EAN number is a much neater search term. I googled EAN to find out what it is and it's apparently the mfr's bar code no. Other item idents to look out for if posting a thread link to an Ebay item are GTIN, UPC, MPN.

Thanks for the tip, ED

Gordon

01/08/2019 20:27:52
Posted by Cuban8 on 30/07/2019 11:19:24:

Re the Petrol engine silencer............etc snipped

I searched using " stainless steel model engine silencer " and found https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=stainless+steel+model+engine+silencer&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=stainless+steel+model+engine+silencer&_sacat=0

(The link thingy didn't work for me)

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 01/08/2019 20:30:05

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 01/08/2019 20:32:21

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
28/07/2019 19:02:29

The rigging wires on the Precedent Stampe clearly have the function of supporting the anti-vibe rods devil

28/07/2019 17:11:01

It is based on the full size Steve, but maybe a bit clunky. Also it just struck me that my Jungmeister's wing came off as left and right pairs along with the bracing attached. The anti-vibe rods simply stayed in place. I believe that the Stampe wings are one-piece, making this system inconvenient to assemble.

On my 1/5th scale leccy Tiger Moth I used a setup copied from Dennis Bryant's .60-size Tiger Moth. Dennis' model had one-piece wings and this plug-together version might work better for you. Hope it shows on the pic as it's a screen grab of my CAD drawing.1/5th scale Tiggie anti-vibe rods.jpg

The wings on my TM come off in left and right pairs, so that on my model the rods stay locked on their wires when I remove the wings for transport.

Gordon

28/07/2019 16:44:43

The skewers are anti-vibration rods which I assume are used to stop the wing bracing wires vibrating and rubbing against each other. Here's how I did it on my 27.5% scale Bucker Jungmeister. It's a near-scale version of what I saw on a full size Jungmeister.

03 anti-vibe.jpg

The stainless steel flat wires are what Flair sold for their 1/4 scale Tiger Moth. The clamps are cut from the same wire and drilled for the minute screws sold by Mick Reeves, who also sells flat wire. The rod is birch dowel.

Gordon

Thread: Sukhoi SU-26
17/07/2019 20:13:09

Hi Martyn

My Acrostar flaperons' first stage flap deflection is 5 degrees, and full flaperon is 8 degrees. I haven't needed to program in any elevator or rudder mix to correct attitude or help turning.

Aileron deflection on the flight mode I use for all normal flying and landing is 10 degrees each way with no expo, so on full flap each aileron retains a bit of up-throw at full stick deflection.

I always set up new model control surfaces with 10 degree deflection each way, irrespective of kit recommendations if it's a kit, and progress from there. The Acrostar's ailerons and elevator are just right for me with these deflections, but it needs as much rudder as possible which works out at 30 degrees.

The model flick-rolls easily with these deflections on rudder-elevator alone with no aileron input needed. ie no need for extreme elevator throw to flick-roll.

On occasion I have forgotten to raise the flaperons for the following flight (brain-fade after a fast battery change) on both this model and its predecessor, the Sebart Katana, and wondered why the axial rolls were a bit slower than normal until the penny dropped! No unwanted tip-stalls have ever occurred.

I think the main point to remember on landing is to keep the nose down a bit to maintain airspeed against the lift-induced drag which could slow the model to stall speed, rounding out for landing only when the runway threshold has been passed. This is my SOP for all flapped landings anyway.

Gordon

15/07/2019 20:46:40

I'm waiting with bated breath to see what additional silencing you're going to fit Martyn, to keep our farmer's wife happy.

Ref landings, for more years than I care to remember I've always drooped strip ailerons as flaperons to help slow the beasties for landings. Some elevator coupling might be needed when the flaperons go down to counteract unwanted changes in attitude. My latest beasty using the setup is my Acrostar, and it was especially valuable this afternoon in the zero wind conditions. Just don't droop the ailerons more than their up-throw, and if necessary arrange to couple a modicum of rudder with aileron to help turning when the flap switch is operated. Coupled rudder isn't always needed, and is found by experiment - which needs a few successful landings of course wink 2

Gordon

Thread: Perry carbs.
15/07/2019 20:23:29

Here you go  original Perry instructions.

If I recall, there's a fine slit in the spraybar which you ensure is clear by passing a piece of notepaper through it to remove any debris.

Gordon

PS. I flew HB .20s and .25s with Perry carbs for years with no probs.

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 15/07/2019 20:25:57

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 15/07/2019 20:27:20

Thread: Droning on at the F1...
15/07/2019 13:00:32

Whilst the 2.5 mile exclusion zone is probably a permanent feature for the heliport, it's not clear whether the cops and firemen and their detection apparatus will always be there too. So this was some sort of success at an event venue, but not necessarily repeatable on a day-to-day basis when there's no racing happening.

Eg, a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were enjoying an ice-cream sitting on the quay near the base of the 199 abbey steps at Whitby, when a a small drone flew from some point further along our side of the harbour and then proceeded to buzz back and forth along the quay maybe 25ft up. It would then buzz back to its starting point, seemingly land in the middle of some rocks, and then return a few minutes later. It paid our side of the outer harbour three visits before we left. I don't know if any official action ensued, but it was a noisy little thing that couldn't be missed by anyone nearby. I just wish that I'd had the wit to try videoing it on my mobile.

I realise that this report adds nothing to the foregoing, but such occurrences must be fairly regular across the country, and I must add that I found it very annoying.

Thread: Sukhoi SU-26
12/07/2019 22:34:16

Hi Martyn

Cellulose is fuelproof against petrol and paraffin, though I can't say what modern synthetic oils do to cellulose once they've passed through the engine combustion chamber. I'd use epoxy resin (either finishing or laminating variety) in the engine bay anyway as it'll help to protect the glued joints against seepage. Epoxy did the job a treat in the engine bays of my petrol Jungmeister and Ultimate bipes.

Don't forget to tell us when you do the maiden flight.

Cheers

Gordon

Thread: Fish tailing
25/06/2019 17:28:56

Beb answered the same query in this thread: Fishtailing - causes and cures

Gordon

Thread: CAA CAP 1789
25/06/2019 17:14:17
Posted by Dickw on 25/06/2019 12:33:29:

Yes, I had a go at the test and passed. I have also registered a couple of planes on the French system.

No plans to fly there, I just did it out of curiosity. Once you have worked through the videos the test is then fairly simple.

Dick

As a matter of interest Dick, was there a place to de-register your models - just in case a posse of gendarmes fancied a day out across the channel to check your docs wink 2

Gordon

25/06/2019 12:03:42

The "Flying Models in France " link on the finesseplus site looks useful if one plans to fly over there. Has anyone had a go at the online test?

The short videos are a neat summary of the regulations. The fines for transgression are huge even if the rule-breaking is inadvertent.

I wonder if we'll see similar guidance over here.

Gordon

25/06/2019 10:00:57

A friend texted me the other day with the proud announcement that while flying his thermal soarers at a recent aerotow event, he'd set a new personal best height in a thermal at 1925 feet.

PART A. UAS.OPEN.10 places height limits on sailplanes.

I don't fly sailplanes myself, and can see no possibility of a height exemption for the powered stuff I do fly. But I'm wondering how the thermalists amongst us will cope with UAS.OPEN.10.

All these new rules bring to mind how free and easy life used to be. As teenagers in the 1960's, a friend and I were flying our 10oz wt or so Vic Smeed Cherubs from a field near Keighley. Somehow my mate misjudged the size of the squirt of diesel fuel he put in the tank of his Mills .75 and it puttered away from the field towards the town at a goodly height, eventually gliding down onto the roof of an abandoned cotton mill. The holes in the mill's rotting upper floors and roof were something of a deterrent but with the full confidence of youth we retrieved the plane undamaged. We'd broken all the rules laid out in this CAP (and probably some law of trespass too).

Thread: Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones
16/06/2019 10:38:43

The other weekend my wife and I were walking by the lake in beautiful Buxton Park and Pavilion Gardens and admiring the r/c boats in action there. Then there suddenly appeared a conning tower above the lake surface. Yep. An R/C submarine. We watched it dive back down and then proceed to tour the lake beneath the surface, frequently aiming towards and then passing beneath the other boats.

Until Martin's post I didn't know about underwater drones. Watch out Percy. They'll get your signature and money yet!

Thread: Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA
06/06/2019 21:48:24

Just letting my mind wander .....

Are full size airports and small airfields registered and licensed, with a requirement to pay some sort of annual fee? If they are, could one way of getting rid of model flyers be by insisting that landowners of the fields we fly from pay a registration fee and an annual license fee to allow their land to be used for drone/model flying? The paperwork could be made suitably onerous for the landowner to decide it's not worth the effort for the relatively small remuneration we give them.

On another tack, if our £16.50 charge (and escalating) is really intended to stop us from flying, and if it works and ever more flyers drop out, then the takings will diminish. It seems to me that if a reduction in modellers is the intention, the reduction in takings will be planned for and accepted. In this scenario, refusing to pay the fee in order to reduce takings would be unlikely to change the authorities' minds one jot.

Thread: Silver Solartex vs Silver Oracover
06/06/2019 06:58:47

Hi Alan

I am planning on a build thread once I get started on the actual construction. At present I'm thinking mostly about how to build it light, and make it as quick and easy as possible to assemble and dismantle for transport. I'm flying my electrics on 5S lipos at present, but I think that I will have to make provision for a 6S pack in case it needs more oomph.

Gordon

05/06/2019 15:54:35

Hi Alan

I hope that your flying went well this morning and the conditions were favourable.

Thank you very much for looking for your Solartex and your offer of a piece of it. In fact a clubmate saw this thread and offered me a full roll of it, so I'm going for that. I've drawn up the templates needed for covering the airframe and it'll need about 9m of the roll, so having it in one piece will minimise waste.

What I need to do now is to start the design properly. It's a plane I've wanted to do for many years and recently got hold of Alf Granger's Datafile on the plane which has decent drawings and that, along with an Ebay-sourced Matchbox plastic kit is what is now spurring me on.

Thanks again for your kind offer of help Alan, and following your comments I'm glad that I'm not having to use Oratex, with another reason being that as it's an inch narrower than Solartex it would need a longer length to fit everything in. The Siskin's upper wing is so huge.

Kind regards,

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 05/06/2019 15:55:20

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 05/06/2019 15:55:42

04/06/2019 19:29:16

I haven't seen a flying model of the Siskin either, though PE Norman flew one free flight, the plans being on Outerzone, as are his Gamecock plans. I made and flew PE's Gamecock on single channel rudder only back in the late 1960s. I still have to start designing my Siskin, but at present am drawing up templates for the covering fabric in CAD, positioning them on the computer screen on a 10m x 27in rectangle for minimum waste. The same exercise for a possible 1/5th Gamecock indicated a need for about 8m and the Siskin will need most of a 10m roll too. I'd save yours for possible further use, Alan! I drew covering templates for my Tiger Moth and ended up with 3m remaining from the 10m roll.

It is a nice subject, but the 14-cyl Jaguar radial will need some thought to keep it simple to make yet worth looking at. One neat feature is that the cabane struts are devoid of transverse cross-bracing, unlike most bipes, so the fuselage top beneath the wing centre section can form a big access hatch for the lipo, and the model won't need inverting or any other antics for battery changes. it also looks as if it can be made quite light as there's not a lot of structure.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us