By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gordon Whitehead 1

Here is a list of all the postings Gordon Whitehead 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The thread for your subscriber questions and queries **please do not start a new thread**
08/01/2021 16:18:03
Posted by Denis Watkins on 08/01/2021 14:12:58:
Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 07/01/2021 14:18:01:

I can't log into any digital issues again because the "bad referrer" problem has returned. It had been cured before, so why has it returned? I don't wish to have to change the way my laptop works just for the sake of logging in to one magazine, so can the problem be solved at source once and for all, please?

I wrote an essay Gordon, then after 10 minutes typing, I hit the command near the post button, and lost the lot

Simply put, slide your security settings slider a tad lower, and your problem will go away

Hi Dennis, sorry for your loss wink I don't appear to have a security setting slider on my chromebook, but thanks for your reply. However, today it's working again and I can access the digital issues without having to use the "reduce default referrer header granularity" frig for which one has to restart the chromebook to get it to work. Thanks to whoever fixed the problem yes

07/01/2021 14:18:01

I can't log into any digital issues again because the "bad referrer" problem has returned. It had been cured before, so why has it returned? I don't wish to have to change the way my laptop works just for the sake of logging in to one magazine, so can the problem be solved at source once and for all, please?

Thread: New scam alert!
05/01/2021 10:29:53

I've just received an email purportedly from Hobbyking. I haven't opened it and don't intend to. The subject header is "Please Confirm Your Subscription" which sounds odd as HK isn't a club or magazine with an annual payment. If anything needs confirming, no doubt I'll find out the next time I log directly into the HK site, and not before.

Has anyone else received this one? I don't buy much from HK but did buy some small lipos a month or so ago.

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 24th Dec - last one!
23/12/2020 19:15:20

Wishing everyone a covid-free Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Thread: Graupner Silentius Model with Vector unit
23/12/2020 11:34:56

That's a lovely-looking Flea, Max, with the prop in the scale position no less.

It must feel a bit strange when you throttle back for the first time and have no more control - I hadn't thought about that. I guess you have to position the model for landing whilst under power, then throttle back just before touchdown. Gusty winds must add a bigger than average element of uncertainty at this juncture.

I remember seeing adverts for the Silentius when it came out. It seemed to be very exotic at the time.

Good luck with your conversion, Levent thumbs up

23/12/2020 08:08:13

It sure does John thumbs up Not an aileron, elevator or rudder in sight and he was able to throw the model around with total abandon using vectored thrust. Very neat and clever.

Thanks for sharing, Levent.

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 23/12/2020 08:10:07

Thread: Model flying on Countryfile
21/12/2020 13:44:00

I've just checked on Outerzone and found the plans for both gliders. The Thunderking is an 11ft 4in span towline thermal glider which won the 1949 Thurston Trophy. The Hoverking sloper was designed by the same person and although only 6ft span has a distinct family resemblance in shape and structure, and, I suppose, name.

The main difference in layouts is the Hoverking's long dorsal strake which was intended to help to keep the model's nose into wind on the slope. I remember it doing that very well when I first flew my Hoverking free-flight and had to chase it for about a quarter of a mile as it crabbed along the ridge until safely landing equidistant and only 10ft from two adjoining walls. That's why Dad and I decided it needed radio fitting. So I borrowed the avionics from my Elfin 2.49-powered Black Magic.

Whilst agreeing with C8's posting, the feature awoke a nice memory for at least one viewer, even if I did misidentify the glider.

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 21/12/2020 13:46:38

21/12/2020 11:52:41

Did anybody recognise the large yellow glider which was on the ground beside the presenter at one point? It had "Thunderking" inscribed on the fuz. I'm sure that it was a Hoverking slope soarer from the old Aeromodeller Plans service. The fin shape and through-fuz tailplane mounting are giveaways.

I built one around 60 years ago in my 'teens fitted with a home-built Hill 2-valve receiver and Ripmax Mactuator sequential escapement. 30V hearing aid battery HT, and a couple of U2 1.5V cells in parallel for the valve filaments. Quite a weighty payload! The Rx with its Sigma SCR522 relay to switch the actuator weighed over 10oz by itself. Six feet span and a lovely flyer. Single-channel rudder-only of course but there was plenty of lift on the hillside overlooking Earby, Lancs where we lived.

Happy days!!

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 21/12/2020 11:54:27

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - Dec 13th
12/12/2020 21:40:52

Excellent choices yes

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 9th Dec (post to enter)
09/12/2020 10:59:39

Count me in too, please.

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 8th Dec (post to enter)
08/12/2020 10:41:01

Yes please

Thread: Advent Prize Draw - 7th Dec (post to enter)
06/12/2020 19:34:42

Late on parade as usual surprise

Thread: Balsa Swells in Winter!
30/11/2020 19:37:52

I learned several years ago to bring my built-up balsa planes indoors from the garage in winter. I didn't notice them growing larger, but the swelling noted by Evil must also be accompanied by absorbing moisture as there was a measurable weight increase on a 6ft span bipe after it had been stored in the garage during winter, which disappeared after a period stored indoors.

Thread: Lone flying during Lockdown
07/11/2020 11:05:55

From an announcement by the Royal Yachting Association: Sport England is allowing boaters in England to continue to exercise on the waterways during the current lockdown provided they are doing so:

on their own or,

with their household or,

with their support bubble or,

with one person from another household, which could be a coach for 1:1 coaching.

We aeromodellers should be allowed to do likewise, surely. The announcement doesn't say boaters have to be RYA members, so it could apply to anyone with a boat.

Thread: RCM&E Nov 2020 issue
04/11/2020 11:29:36
Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 29/10/2020 15:09:34:

Incidentally, I've just finished re-uploading all digital issues back to 2007 in the digital archive, so flash problems should be a thing of the past. If you do get a hiccup then do try clearing your browser cache/history as this usually does the trick.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 29/10/2020 15:10:02

Very much appreciated David. It's great news that all the valuable knowledge in them is available once more. thumbs up

Gordon

Thread: The thread for your subscriber questions and queries **please do not start a new thread**
31/10/2020 14:02:22

Please ignore my earlier post ref accessing the digital issues. Before I wrote, it was the case that the Nov issue worked but earlier ones didn't. Having had my chromebook switched off for a couple of hours I can now view all the earlier ones using chrome. I don't know why the change has occurred, but it has. I suspect that the chrome browser has had a crafty update that has eradicated the granularity problem.

Onwards and upwards!

Gordon.

31/10/2020 11:55:30

For some reason my Chromebook will open the digital November issue without having to invoke the "reduce default referer header granularity" "flag". However, I still cannot read earlier digital issues without "the flag", which I have always turned off between magazine readings because of its undefined security implications on my normal web surfing.

Can other chrome users similarly view the Nov issue without "the flag"?

What's going on RCME? What is different about the November issue which lets chrome users read it when the earlier issues still remain inaccessible without the annoyance of having to set "the flag"?

Kind regards

Gordon

13/10/2020 23:12:50

Thanks David, I have actioned both your suggestions. I can again read my digital RCME on my Chromebook!

Kind regards

Gordon

Thread: October 2020 issue chat
13/10/2020 22:56:06

Thanks Chris. You're a star!! Now to settle down and get reading the Oct issue yes

Gordon

Thread: Magazine Viewer
09/10/2020 13:49:40

This is not a new problem for this publisher. It occurred in July 2018 with the Model Engineer archive and from what I can see in this thread remained unsolved.

Support Our Partners
CML
Subscribe now
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!