By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gordon Whitehead 1

Here is a list of all the postings Gordon Whitehead 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Perry carbs.
15/07/2019 20:23:29

Here you go  original Perry instructions.

If I recall, there's a fine slit in the spraybar which you ensure is clear by passing a piece of notepaper through it to remove any debris.

Gordon

PS. I flew HB .20s and .25s with Perry carbs for years with no probs.

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 15/07/2019 20:25:57

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 15/07/2019 20:27:20

Thread: Droning on at the F1...
15/07/2019 13:00:32

Whilst the 2.5 mile exclusion zone is probably a permanent feature for the heliport, it's not clear whether the cops and firemen and their detection apparatus will always be there too. So this was some sort of success at an event venue, but not necessarily repeatable on a day-to-day basis when there's no racing happening.

Eg, a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were enjoying an ice-cream sitting on the quay near the base of the 199 abbey steps at Whitby, when a a small drone flew from some point further along our side of the harbour and then proceeded to buzz back and forth along the quay maybe 25ft up. It would then buzz back to its starting point, seemingly land in the middle of some rocks, and then return a few minutes later. It paid our side of the outer harbour three visits before we left. I don't know if any official action ensued, but it was a noisy little thing that couldn't be missed by anyone nearby. I just wish that I'd had the wit to try videoing it on my mobile.

I realise that this report adds nothing to the foregoing, but such occurrences must be fairly regular across the country, and I must add that I found it very annoying.

Thread: Sukhoi SU-26
12/07/2019 22:34:16

Hi Martyn

Cellulose is fuelproof against petrol and paraffin, though I can't say what modern synthetic oils do to cellulose once they've passed through the engine combustion chamber. I'd use epoxy resin (either finishing or laminating variety) in the engine bay anyway as it'll help to protect the glued joints against seepage. Epoxy did the job a treat in the engine bays of my petrol Jungmeister and Ultimate bipes.

Don't forget to tell us when you do the maiden flight.

Cheers

Gordon

Thread: Fish tailing
25/06/2019 17:28:56

Beb answered the same query in this thread: Fishtailing - causes and cures

Gordon

Thread: CAA CAP 1789
25/06/2019 17:14:17
Posted by Dickw on 25/06/2019 12:33:29:

Yes, I had a go at the test and passed. I have also registered a couple of planes on the French system.

No plans to fly there, I just did it out of curiosity. Once you have worked through the videos the test is then fairly simple.

Dick

As a matter of interest Dick, was there a place to de-register your models - just in case a posse of gendarmes fancied a day out across the channel to check your docs wink 2

Gordon

25/06/2019 12:03:42

The "Flying Models in France " link on the finesseplus site looks useful if one plans to fly over there. Has anyone had a go at the online test?

The short videos are a neat summary of the regulations. The fines for transgression are huge even if the rule-breaking is inadvertent.

I wonder if we'll see similar guidance over here.

Gordon

25/06/2019 10:00:57

A friend texted me the other day with the proud announcement that while flying his thermal soarers at a recent aerotow event, he'd set a new personal best height in a thermal at 1925 feet.

PART A. UAS.OPEN.10 places height limits on sailplanes.

I don't fly sailplanes myself, and can see no possibility of a height exemption for the powered stuff I do fly. But I'm wondering how the thermalists amongst us will cope with UAS.OPEN.10.

All these new rules bring to mind how free and easy life used to be. As teenagers in the 1960's, a friend and I were flying our 10oz wt or so Vic Smeed Cherubs from a field near Keighley. Somehow my mate misjudged the size of the squirt of diesel fuel he put in the tank of his Mills .75 and it puttered away from the field towards the town at a goodly height, eventually gliding down onto the roof of an abandoned cotton mill. The holes in the mill's rotting upper floors and roof were something of a deterrent but with the full confidence of youth we retrieved the plane undamaged. We'd broken all the rules laid out in this CAP (and probably some law of trespass too).

Thread: Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones
16/06/2019 10:38:43

The other weekend my wife and I were walking by the lake in beautiful Buxton Park and Pavilion Gardens and admiring the r/c boats in action there. Then there suddenly appeared a conning tower above the lake surface. Yep. An R/C submarine. We watched it dive back down and then proceed to tour the lake beneath the surface, frequently aiming towards and then passing beneath the other boats.

Until Martin's post I didn't know about underwater drones. Watch out Percy. They'll get your signature and money yet!

Thread: Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA
06/06/2019 21:48:24

Just letting my mind wander .....

Are full size airports and small airfields registered and licensed, with a requirement to pay some sort of annual fee? If they are, could one way of getting rid of model flyers be by insisting that landowners of the fields we fly from pay a registration fee and an annual license fee to allow their land to be used for drone/model flying? The paperwork could be made suitably onerous for the landowner to decide it's not worth the effort for the relatively small remuneration we give them.

On another tack, if our £16.50 charge (and escalating) is really intended to stop us from flying, and if it works and ever more flyers drop out, then the takings will diminish. It seems to me that if a reduction in modellers is the intention, the reduction in takings will be planned for and accepted. In this scenario, refusing to pay the fee in order to reduce takings would be unlikely to change the authorities' minds one jot.

Thread: Silver Solartex vs Silver Oracover
06/06/2019 06:58:47

Hi Alan

I am planning on a build thread once I get started on the actual construction. At present I'm thinking mostly about how to build it light, and make it as quick and easy as possible to assemble and dismantle for transport. I'm flying my electrics on 5S lipos at present, but I think that I will have to make provision for a 6S pack in case it needs more oomph.

Gordon

05/06/2019 15:54:35

Hi Alan

I hope that your flying went well this morning and the conditions were favourable.

Thank you very much for looking for your Solartex and your offer of a piece of it. In fact a clubmate saw this thread and offered me a full roll of it, so I'm going for that. I've drawn up the templates needed for covering the airframe and it'll need about 9m of the roll, so having it in one piece will minimise waste.

What I need to do now is to start the design properly. It's a plane I've wanted to do for many years and recently got hold of Alf Granger's Datafile on the plane which has decent drawings and that, along with an Ebay-sourced Matchbox plastic kit is what is now spurring me on.

Thanks again for your kind offer of help Alan, and following your comments I'm glad that I'm not having to use Oratex, with another reason being that as it's an inch narrower than Solartex it would need a longer length to fit everything in. The Siskin's upper wing is so huge.

Kind regards,

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 05/06/2019 15:55:20

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 05/06/2019 15:55:42

04/06/2019 19:29:16

I haven't seen a flying model of the Siskin either, though PE Norman flew one free flight, the plans being on Outerzone, as are his Gamecock plans. I made and flew PE's Gamecock on single channel rudder only back in the late 1960s. I still have to start designing my Siskin, but at present am drawing up templates for the covering fabric in CAD, positioning them on the computer screen on a 10m x 27in rectangle for minimum waste. The same exercise for a possible 1/5th Gamecock indicated a need for about 8m and the Siskin will need most of a 10m roll too. I'd save yours for possible further use, Alan! I drew covering templates for my Tiger Moth and ended up with 3m remaining from the 10m roll.

It is a nice subject, but the 14-cyl Jaguar radial will need some thought to keep it simple to make yet worth looking at. One neat feature is that the cabane struts are devoid of transverse cross-bracing, unlike most bipes, so the fuselage top beneath the wing centre section can form a big access hatch for the lipo, and the model won't need inverting or any other antics for battery changes. it also looks as if it can be made quite light as there's not a lot of structure.

04/06/2019 16:54:46

Thanks Alan,

I guess that the Oratex weave won't show at standoff scale distance, and certainly not in the air. Otherwise, a blow over with a light coat of silver dope might roughly equalise both colour and surface texture. I still have some balsaloc, but that probably wants re-activating with a drop of water!

The model I'm wondering about designing is a 1/5th scale Siskin IIIA, so the small area of sheeted surface could be litho-plated or done in doped tissue as appropriate.

Gordon

04/06/2019 10:53:31

Now that silver Solartex has gone and my stock of it is insufficient to completely cover my next model, it looks as if I'll have to use silver Oratex.

Has anyone used both? If so, can they tell me if there's a big difference in the actual colours and appearance, or are they a decent enough match so that, say, I could cover the undersides with my old Solartex, and use Oratex on the topsides? It's only for a sport-scale model anyway.

Apart from markings, lettering and an anti-glare panel, I don't want to paint the model if I can help it as it'll be electric powered so won't need fuel proofing. I have unpainted silver Solatex on the wings and tail of my 19-year-old 6ft span Tiger Moth and that's aged satisfactorily with no overpainting.

Please note that I'm not querying the relative merits of these materials for covering a models, just the closeness of the colours.

TIA

Gordon

Thread: Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA
30/05/2019 11:49:28
Posted by john stones 1 on 30/05/2019 11:27:24:

And others agree it stinks, so what do we do ?

Help others through it and carry on the hobby ?

Feel sorry for ourselves and quit ?

Easy choice for me.

Well said John. Me too.

30/05/2019 10:24:01

What makes up "all the hassle" that's about to be thrust upon us that will make it so unpalatable to fly a model plane?

I'm probably missing something here, so please set me right.

All I see is a fee of less than 20 quid, some form of simple test on the regulations that can be answered via a club crib-sheet, a flying test equating to the "A" test which I could probably have passed back in the late 1960's when I was enthusiastically flying a single-channel rudder-only Veron Mini Robot following the aerobatic advice for such machinery that had been available in model magazines years earlier.

I haven't forgotten the age limitation of 18 years either, as that can be sorted by cooperation with fellow club members. The child protection regulations require such cooperation even now.

Just to prove that I can, when pushed ,doom-say with the best of them, I can see that if the new law does turn model flying into an unacceptable leisure option for many existing flyers, costs of everything associated with it will rise for the remaining individuals. Reduced BMFA membership will require a rise in fees to cover costs; reduced club numbers will require members to fork out a bigger membership fee to cover the fixed, and probably rising charge for the field they fly on; the govt licence fee will inexorably rise due to falling numbers; more model shops will die and raw materials become harder to get.

However, on a brighter note I'm sure that plenty of hardy souls will persist with the hobby, and up to now I intend to be one of them. Looking back at when I started to become aware of model planes, there were only two kids in my town that took part, one of which was me, and through the participation of genuine enthusiasts nationwide the hobby was then recovering from what WW2 restrictions and austerity had done to it. We've had lots of good years and there'll be more to come, I'm sure.

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 30/05/2019 10:25:13

29/05/2019 21:05:59

Well I have more than 62 years of my life invested in this hobby, and it'll take far more than a £16.50 (and more if it inflates) charge to stop me designing, building and flying sport-scale models of my favourite planes at whatever size I want to fly. The biggest restriction I face is that of noise, recently sorted by selling my jets, glows and petrols and returning to all-electric power.

As long as raw materials are available and my health continues favourably, I'll continue to spend my leisure hours as before. Ron Moulton is the guy to blame for my incurable obsession with his "Flying Scale Models" book which I had the good fortune to be given at age 12, and the govt ain't gonna undo all that Ron enthused me with.

Gordon

Thread: Prostate Cancer
29/05/2019 12:05:24

Awakened by the thread, I did some reading on the NHS and Prostate Cancer UK websites to better inform myself on prostate matters. Today the doc told me that my PSA blood test showed a level of 2.4 which sounds OK for a 74-year-old. A rectal test found the prostate to be well enlarged and after a discussion which covered the options of tablets or surgery, I decided to go for tablets with a further consultation in 2 months to check on how well the treatment is working. He prescribed Tamsulosin to reduce the symptoms, and Finasteride to eventually shrink the prostate, which could take 6 months.

It feels good to have finally done something about getting medical attention, and I thank Martian for starting the thread, and all others who have contributed with their experiences and advice.

Thread: Beth's off.....
29/05/2019 11:27:13

Congratulations Beth. Here's hoping that your new offspring doesn't put you into a flat spin too often wink

Thread: Prostate Cancer
24/05/2019 17:42:24

Has anyone been prescribed Tamsulosin, which is a drug taken in tablet form to diminish the symptoms of a swollen prostate gland? The other day I was speaking with a chap about my age of 74 who told me that he'd been on the tablet for 20 years and that although it's not a cure, it does reduce the usual problems of urgency, frequency, weak stream, inability to pee, and getting up in the middle of the night. I hadn't heard of Tamsulosin before, despite googling for prostate treatments.

I had my first PSA blood test two months ago and my GP (well, not mine as we keep being switched about in our medical centre) said all was within limits without being specific. I didn't know there was a scale of numbers detailing the state of play until I saw mention of them on this thread.

I've been a prostate sufferer for over 20 years, and had the finger test back then when the doc said there was little swelling. Now I've decided to make another appointment to get more detail about my recent blood test results, and ask about Tamsulosin. The chap I spoke with reckoned that about 50% of men his age were on the tablet at his medical centre in a nearby town.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us