By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve McLaren

Here is a list of all the postings Steve McLaren has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sciabola or Italian Sabre
13/11/2019 22:54:21

Thanks Al. Very informative. I will refer back to this later. I think I will try to do more of mine by painting this time. I will see if I can get hold of some of this Oramask 810. I assume that for those of us who don't, have Vinyl cutter, we could put it through an inkjet printer and cut out with a scalpel?

Thread: Alaskan Air National Guard Version
13/11/2019 22:34:13

Uh-huh!?!? You've lost me there Mark! Are you sure you have the right Steve McLaren? It's not that bloke that used to manage the England football team is it? He probably has more aerobatic skills than me.

11/11/2019 20:25:13

HaHa! I shall try to be more systematic Chris!

I fixed the jig down to the bench Chris, by cutting and pre-drilling about 16 small spruce blocks and glueing them to the sides of 8 ribs, then tacking through these with some small panel pins. I notice that most people are glueing their jigs together, but I didn't bother. Mine is just pressed together and then tacked to the bench. Mainly because I wanted to be able to dismantle it and keep it, but also because I thought it would be sturdy enough like this. You just need to check that all the jig ribs are lying flat on the building board before you start to assemble the wing.

I realise now that the reason I had trouble aligning the wing on the jig is because I had far too much excess on the lower skin. This obscures your view of the jig and the plan and makes things difficult. If I did it again I would reduce the extra wing skin to about 1mm all round.

10/11/2019 18:50:46

Well, I've made a start on the wings. I was very impressed by how well the jig went together and how well it sat over the plan.

I found it a little tricky to line up the construction of the wing over the jig and plan, due to the height difference and parallax errors, etc, but I think I've got it close enough. I noticed the same problem as Harry with the height of the jig at R1, so fixed it the same way with a strip of 1/16th balsa. Maybe there's a reason for this gap? I must read some of the blogs of the other guys starting on the wing!

I've never built a wing this way before, and was a little apprehensive, but it seems to be going pretty well so far and I think it should make the process of achieving the correct wash-out, a lot more straight-forward than many other methods.

img_20191110_183301798.jpg

Thread: F-86A Sabre Montana Air National Guard
09/11/2019 10:45:34

Nicely done Harry. I'm hoping to catch up to this stage today. I made the wing skins last weekend, but no progress during the week.

I can see that they're useful, but why do you have so many lead/acid batteries??

Thread: Alaskan Air National Guard Version
06/09/2019 21:10:10

It reminds me of your A4 Skyhawk Harry, which looked Ace. So I'm hoping I can get the same effect.

I hadn't even spotted the yellow/black chevrons - but they can't be so difficult can they? - just need the right width of masking tape!

05/09/2019 22:17:00

I have searched around and it doesn't look like anybody else is doing this scheme. If I'm wrong and you've already chosen this one, just let me know and I'll find another!alaska ang scheme.jpg

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
14/04/2019 09:26:29

Yes, superb photos again Phil.

08/04/2019 21:22:13

Yes, Thanks again Phil for the organisation. A great weekend all round.

Here are a few of my pics.

img_1064 (2).jpg

img_1152 (2).jpg

img_1224 (2).jpg

img_1317 (2).jpg

img_1304 (2).jpg

img_1307 (2).jpg

Thread: PSSA pre-season get together - RAF Cosford - The Return!
08/02/2019 19:43:44

It looks like I can make it this time. So I'll see you all there. Not been since 1979. Has it changed much?

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
20/10/2018 22:04:19

Some photos from last weekend.

PSS with prop simulation!img_1007.jpg

img_1034 (2).jpg

img_1045 (2).jpg

Thread: Hawker Hurricane MK1
06/09/2018 21:10:04

Looks great Harry. Keep going! It's amazing how many little tasks need doing to finish them off. I shall still be drawing panel lines on Saturday during the showers! And still working out how to fit the aerial wire.

Thread: 2018 PSSA Mass Build - The Completed Model Thread
05/09/2018 22:16:14

It feels pretty heavy to me! More projectile than glider! But then my Mossie feels like that too but it flies well in some quite moderate winds.

04/09/2018 20:54:51

Yes looks great that Andy. I look forward to seeing that strafing the Orme.

I'm expecting to accumulate more natural weathering on mine (sheep shit, etc)

Since Phil asked,and just for the record, I've just balanced mine by putting 11.3oz of lead in the spinner! The rest of the model weighs in at 2lb 11.5 oz, so AUW is about 3lb 7oz.

02/09/2018 20:43:27

Actually it's not really completed - I still need to connect some linkages and balance it - but this is how it will look next weekend.

It's very basic - no lights, no cannons, no scale details, but it's almost finished and ready to fly, if we get some wind!

dscf1814.jpg

Thread: Russian hurricane
26/06/2018 22:08:06

Yes, fabulous fairing Dirk. I don't think I'll have the time or patience to match that!

Thread: Not sure what type of Hurricane yet
26/06/2018 21:54:45

Good to know that it was of some use to someone Trevor.

Meanwhile, I've been pressing on. Have now done the last of the ammonia work I hope. Its not perfect - a few crushed bits and few dents, but nothing I can't cover up with a bit of filler! Oh, I seem the have same bulges in the rear fuse which some other people have mentioned.

dscf1811.jpg

I have also thrown together the wing panels.

dscf1810.jpg

dscf1812.jpg

Then turned my attention to the pilot.

Harry Twist had recently convinced me to invest in one of those cheap Chinese 3-D printers, which actually turns out to be brilliant. But I have been unable to find a free downloadable WW2 pilot file. But there are some good WW1 versions. So I tried a mix of new and old technologies here. 3D printing of the WW! head, plus a bit of drinking strawing and some filler for the mask, and some depron discs stuck on his ears. What do you think? A bit more cyberman than pilot?

dscf1807.jpg

Anyway, Harry has since supplied me with a stl file for a proper WW2 pilot!

Thread: Hawker Hurricane MK1
23/06/2018 08:25:43

Blimey it seems that everybody is doing llights! Mine is going to be very sub-standard. At this rate, I shall be in the pub on my own whilst you're all flying around in the dark!

Nice choice of scheme Harry. I didn't know that one existed. Are you going to do it in glass cloth again?

What are you thinking/planning about skin joints between the wing panels. If you're planning to glass it, then I suppose that will create extra strength. But is 25gsm enough?

Thread: Not sure what type of Hurricane yet
23/06/2018 08:04:45

Thanks Steve, It's good to know it wasn't just me!

Have not seen or heard from you in a while! Did you finish off that Zlin? It was so close to complete last time you reported!

19/06/2018 22:07:46

I was going to start a thread just to let you guys know that I have at last started the build.

It's going to have to be a quick one, so it's not going to be pretty. .

I'm not very confident of completing in time for the September event, so I'm not putting too much effort into choosing a scheme, or a mark, or doing any details! I shall just attempt to get the basic airframe built!

dscf1793.jpg

I have read all the other threads and noted the various issues with the plan/parts and so I thought I could correct them all and steam ahead!

dscf1796.jpg

But almost straight away, I've run into a problem that nobody seemed to mention (unless I missed it somewhere?)

It seems that the hole in F3 for the battery box, is not symmetric around the centreline! i.e. it is offset to one side. If you check the plan, it is also asymmetric on the former view, but the plan view says it should be on the centreline. So when you throw the whole battery box assembly together , quickly checking that everything is square, you get a front end with F2 and F1 laterally offset relative to F3 - a bent nose!

This results in one F10 which needs a bit shaving off it, and the other has a gap to the fuselage side. Although I shaved the oversized F10 before joining the fuselage sides, I only figured out what had really happened after joining the fuselage sides.

dscf1797.jpg

So to correct all this, I have had to skim about 1/16th inch of one side of F1 and F2, and add an extra 1/16th shim on the other side of F1 F2 and F10.. Which is not so easy after you've joined everything together.

dscf1799.jpg

So if anyone else hasn't started the fuselage build yet, look out for this problem. It would be very easy to correct the position of the hole in F3 before you start.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us