By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve McLaren

Here is a list of all the postings Steve McLaren has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: unable to add photos
28/05/2016 21:19:11

Is anybody else having trouble with rogue subscription renewal icon which sits on top of the menu commands, and seems to make them inactive?

I am unable to add photos to an album, or create a new album, or move to page 2 of my albums, because this icon sits on top the relevant menu options.

Is this just a Windows Vista thing?

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
24/05/2016 23:03:02

Here's a snap of the Lightning, while we wait for Phil to edit his pro shots!

_mg_0877.jpg

and Phil's bomb drop.

_mg_0868.jpg

Thread: Steve McLaren's version of the A4 Skyhawk
24/05/2016 21:30:30

This is post No.1 - just to register that I have started!

All going well so far - taking benefit from all the instruction and advice in other blogs!

p5240001.jpg

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
24/05/2016 13:31:53

I would like to add my thanks to Steve for setting up the event. These things can't happen unless someone puts in a lot of personal effort to bring it all together. It must have been a bit stressful when the first day was washed out, but it all came good in the end.

It was my first visit to the famous Bwlch, and I loved it. I was also very relieved that we didn't have to fly off the Wrecker! I will certainly be back for more.

I think we left the slope just in time. Did you guys get that free car wash (as only Welsh rain can do!) as you drove back down the valley?

17/05/2016 19:49:26

I might join you for the Friday evening recce if it's not hosing down, and if I can find you!

Thread: Who's Attending...
08/05/2016 22:29:07

I am planning to be there. I have never flown at the bwlch before, so i'm looking forward to seeing what its like. Like Peter G I have booked a hotel in merthyr. It looked close on the map, but google tells me it's a 40 minute drive away!

Thread: Things to do on the slope
28/04/2016 20:44:47

Has anybody used the SLEC bombs yet? and if so, what did you use to glue/fix the the 2 halves together?

Thread: Israeli Air Force A4 Skyhawk - Shalom
28/04/2016 20:27:39

Yes excellent work Peter. You are making me feel that I must get started. But I'm still trying to put my tornado back together!

Just looking at the height of your torque rods - are you planning a different approach to the issue of limited clearance to the wing bolt plate?

Thread: Cloud Models Mosquito for PSS
11/04/2016 23:16:58
Thanks guys. I am looking forward to the weekend too. I don't think I have flown since October!
Dave - good luck with the fuselage plastic mouldings! You may have read that I gave up on the front half of the top one, but I hope you have better luck.
I covered the balsa parts with solar film. It seemed to stick reasonably well to the plastic bits (which I have decided are probably polystyrene). Then I painted the solar film with Prymol, taking care not to get it on the polystyrene. Then I painted everything with Revel Aqua color acrylics. I think these are intended for plastic kits so they seem to work fine on both polystyrene and solar film. The adhesion on solar film seems to just the same whether you use Prymol or not, so you could forget the Prymol in my opinion. Just 1 pot of dark green, 1 of grey, and a mixture of 1 light blue and 1 light grey for the underside, was all I needed. And they are less than 2 quid a pot. It seemed to need 2 to 3 coats to get an even covering, but you can recoat after just 1 hour, so it doesn't take long.
10/04/2016 22:32:55

And this is it all covered and painted.

p4100001.jpg

p4100002.jpg

It took 7.5oz of lead in the spinners to balance it! I haven't weighed the whole thing yet, but it 's not going to be floater!

Anyway, ready to go!

Thread: PSS A-4E 'Top Gun' Skyhawk
31/03/2016 19:44:03

I am impressed! Not just by the quality of the build Phil, but the by the almost daily reports! You seem to be working to a different deadline than the rest of us! Or am I just leaving it too late again?

Hope to get mine started this weekend.

What news of the 2nd Tonka?

23/03/2016 20:12:00

Thanks Guys.

It's not really 'achieving scale' Peter. It's just getting close enough to make it good enough for your own eye. At several stages in this build I was thinking it wouldn't be good enough for 'proper PSS', and I might just fit some motors and fly it in the back field. But I'm actually quite pleased with the final result. I just need to keep it well away from any true scale mosquitos!

I haven't balanced it yet, and it's not covered or painted, but it's already weighing 3lb 6oz., or 54 oz. as shown in the pictures above (including battery and Rx). It feels a bit heavy, but then it's got a bigger wing than any of my other PSS models. I shall balance it this weekend and find out if it possible to get enough lead in those spinners!

Thread: Things to do on the slope
23/03/2016 19:39:47

I have ordered a couple of the SLEC type but I'm not sure I can be ready for April. Not even sure which model they might fit on! Phase 6? or does it have to be PSS?

Thread: C17 Globemaster III - 1/15th Scale for PSS
16/03/2016 21:17:49

Yes it makes a good garden table! You could rest your beer on that tailplane!

Seriously impressive!

13/03/2016 15:50:25

Yes, I thought about moulding my own canopy, but it's rather a lot of work, and I want to get this build finished for April. It was supposed to be a quick and easy build to fill a few spare hours in the early winter, but it's grown into quite a complex and slow build - seems to happen every time!

I might do my own canopy at some time in the future, but for now I am going to make this one work. This is glazing the missing bits in the front corners:-

p1010009.jpg

And now there's only a little bit of filling and sanding to do before I can get started on the covering.

p1010006.jpgp1010007.jpg

28/02/2016 09:13:35

Having received new supplies of soft 1/2 inch balsa (along with my skyhawk wood order), I was able to finish blocking the upper fuselage deck.

p1010008.jpg

Then after a bit of sanding, it looks like this.

p1010009.jpg

Then I really struggled to find the right shape around the nose and the canopy. In the end, I printed some card templates scaled up from a different mosquito model plan, And used them to help me gradually fine tune the shape.

p1010017.jpg

Getting the right nose shape is so important to making it 'look' like a Mosquito! In the end I'm quite pleased with it. It will only ever be semi-scale, because the basic fuselage shape is not really right, but I'm hoping it will be good enough to fool the casual observer from a 100yards - as long as I don't put it next to any true scale versions.

I've also done some more work on completing the nacelles - building the upper front sections in balsa blocks again. I've left part of it as a removable hatch in case I ever want to fit motors. But I think I will tack them in place and cover over them initially, so that they don't show.

p1010010.jpg

Since the model now has the sold MkVI nose, I have had to modify the canopy to be consistent. I cut out the front corners, then softened the angled part of t he front screen in a bowl of hot water and attempted to straighten it out. Its not perfect, but again I'm hoping it will fool the casual observer...

p1010016.jpg

Any tips on how I can get that front windscreen to be genuinely flat? Can you iron canopies? without imprinting a nasty texture onto them?

As you can see in the photo above, despite my best efforts, when I position the canopy where I now think it should go, it does not sit completely on the upper fuselage plug! So I will have to chop a little more of the balsa out of the nose section and add it onto the fuselage plug.

Last thing for today - I forgot that there were more plastic mouldings to deals with yet. But adding these radaitors was very straight-forward.

p1010018.jpg

Thread: A4 Skyhawk - Building tips and Plan queries
16/02/2016 20:20:07

Hey Mark! Does that mean you're making it in Balsa??

Thread: C17 Globemaster III - 1/15th Scale for PSS
15/02/2016 21:46:05

Scary!! How will you launch this one?

Thread: PSS Zlin 526A
15/02/2016 21:37:15

Good to see this moving again Steve! So it will be ready for April then?

You must be getting close to giving us an assembled shot?

Thread: A4 Skyhawk - Building tips and Plan queries
15/02/2016 21:16:40

Hi Phil. Just got my plan and wood-pack today.smiley.

I have been studying the plan in anticipation, and I have a question - well more of a comment. If I'm reading it right, the plan seems to show no clearance between the aileron torque rods and F6. So presumably we need to be very careful with the upright length on our torque rods? Or maybe we could move the wing bolt a bit further aft and reduce the size of F6, to create more clearance, and put a bit more reinforcing on the wing trailing edge?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us