By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nightflyer

Here is a list of all the postings Nightflyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Soarcerer for Flat Field
08/08/2019 22:42:03

The Soarceror has been a timeless classic because it is easy to build and it flies so well. Nearly all I have seen or flown have been off the slope so will be interested about flat field performance.

Thread: RCM&E September Issue.
05/08/2019 21:35:14

I for one also spotted the previously mentioned photo glitch, in Brian's column, but despite that found it a very useful article.

I also think David, Graham and Beth have done a great and often thankless job over the years and also welcome Kevin Crozier's return to the mag.

A great effort with this months issue and the Jet Provost plan is something I am going to build.

Thread: Balsa Cabin Spin Doctor Kit
31/07/2019 22:12:57

I know of one that was fitted with an OS90 four stroke and had loads of grunt so would think 70 to 90 four stroke and likely 55 to 61 two stroke.

Thread: Re: Looking Back 43 Years
18/07/2019 13:10:53

I totally agree with Cuban, Peter and Colin's comments.

When I was young free flight and control line were very popular and lots of places to fly. Nowadays with developers and noise and anvironmnet 0h and cost of land rent it is a lot harder.

I agree about competition be it flying or model cars or boats. I used to race rc cars at world, european and national level. What started off as a cheap alternative to flying snowballed in cost as I became more competitive and started racing not just at club level but then regional, to national, etc. Each step saw an increase in cost until my flying was a shadow in terms of cost. At the same time the fun and love of racing gets impacted when with the level of commitment theere became legal challenges on legalities etc, which is when I stopped racing.

I love flying most forms of aircraft but gliding has always been a fun thing for me be it slope, thermal or electric powered. Trying to keep it simple encourages people. You only have to look at F1 and how they are now trying to cut costs etc to improve racing, and encourage other teams.

17/07/2019 22:58:52

I think what appealed to me as a lad was the size and fun and ease of building. I really liked the DVII but only I think because of colour schemes. My grandfather scaled up the plans for a 40 sized version of the Nieuport or me too.

I think from the mid or late 70s radio was smaller lighter and more reliable and 20 size engines prolific that models could fit in cars assembled and rigged and size was also convenient for the magazines of the era.

The look back I find good as you have not seen many plans for rc helicopters, but then Dave Nieman and Len Mount were synonymous with helicopters in the day.

17/07/2019 13:17:06

Loved the article, and having still got the original magazine and plan the snapshot and overview of the July 76 issue of RCM&E covers it well.

I built the Nieuport 24 as did a couple of others in the Hastings club back in the day and the model probably weted my apetite for the small scale models such that I built the Fokker DVII that DB and RCM&E published later aswell as some of Gordon Whitehead's designs that were in Radio Modelelr a year or so later.

I always had a hankering for the Grumman Traveller and wonder how popular the model was. I saw only two in my old club.

The MiJet was also very popular for those who frequented the South Downs slopes and was a nice model to fly.

Thread: Skyleader Clubman Super 35Mhz TX battery wiring
12/07/2019 08:41:33

Great link Peter - Chris that should give you all you need to get you out of trouble. Looking at teh wire colours I would say from memory that they are the same for the Clubman Super. Very useful having the charger circuit too as you can double check.

Thread: Malcolm Corbin Easy Street
12/07/2019 08:36:24

In answer to yhe question about the plan being available. No it was definitely produced specifically as a kit for Ripmax/Balsacraft.

I built the original kit version and with brushed 600 and nicads can agree with others about it being ahead of its time for the power system.

I have been looking at the artf version as with a brushless motor should be pretty darned good.

Thread: Wot no Acrowot!
12/07/2019 08:32:51

I would echo Percy's comments. It is actually better to get a kit and put it together yourself (assuming you have a workshop and not the coffee top table). The joy of artf and speed to get flying is one thing .. but if yuo want a particular model and to enjoy it for a long time then building it will be better, and easier to repair I think.

11/07/2019 13:05:18

Hi Chris,

I replied to your message separately but yesyou are right the Courier transmitter was a lot more appealing than the boxy tx's. I think one reason I liked the Futaba M series was it was less boxy and more comfortable to hold (which as a teenager made for smoother control). I had used a couple of other people's Courier's and they were comfortable.

After the M series I had a Sprengbrook modular FM set before having Futaba gear ever since until a few years ago when I switched to a DX9 Black Edition, although my 35MHz FF8 is still good.

Multiplex gear is good and has stood the test of time. Understandably, if in europe it is very popular and has very good support.

Thread: Summer Evening Club Meetings
10/07/2019 13:30:17

So I love summer evening flying and always have since I started learning to fly, but there is always something special when the monthly club meeting is held at the field.

Currently I belong to one club that I have been associated with for some 22 years. We are these days a smaller club but have the occasional summer flying meeting and still have most summer meetings at our local hall.

I have been thinking about a club that is actually a lot closer to where I live these days. So I had decided to go to their club meeting to find out more, and then I found out it was at one of their sites I went along. First person I met was an ex member from my current club. I was made very welcome, met a few other old ex members and had a thoroughly enjoyable evening to the point that I am now going to join that club too.

Summer evening meetings at the patch can really be a great ice breaker and yield new members if all were as good as this particular club's was. Something for clubs to consider to swell their membership perhaps or get more members down to the patch?

10/07/2019 13:22:23

I agree in part with you Percy on the quality of the Skyleader gear. The original Clubman set gave pretty good service for me even with it being second hand. At the time I started flying the Clubman Super (27 AM) was very popular and when the 27FM set was released we had a set fairly early on and it did have to go back twice (first time was a recall as they had identified a problem with the stick potentiometers (and showed how good they were communicating to owners via model shops and I think model press). That said though I think Futaba were starting to take a lead in quality come late 70's and start of the 80's.

I think with 35 FM the Courier did look more appealing and did perform well.

I certainly miss Skyleader as a manufacturer as I do think thy did much to develop rc flying in the UK and also with the Skyleader team were very entertaining in their day. I certainly like seeing the retro 2.4GHz transmitters.

Thread: Cumulus resurrection
10/07/2019 13:11:18

Looks great hope you have many enjoyable flights. From memory with a Cirrus they do float well when looking to land they do seem to glide forever.

Thread: Giving up
10/07/2019 13:08:17

Love it Brian and yes don't give up. I have found that the occassional clean and tidy of my workshop often yields marvellous goodies such as:

Nuts and bolts that sometimes are sufficient for engine mounting or control horn fitting.

Servo screws including the lesser spotted servo head screw.

Modelling pins - I wondered why I was struggling to find sufficient - went and bought some and then found more around the workshop.

A few useful offcuts of balsa or ply.

The occassional anti-social plan that has re-filed itself away from other plans.

I could have spent money (and possibly have in the past) replacing these parts that amazingly have disappeared often when I have needed them most.

Thread: Funfighter thread, Cambria & Cambrian only, discussion & pics
08/07/2019 12:55:28

Some great pics of the Spits and 109 and yes I can imagine they are quite good as PSS models.

I have liked the funfighter sized models since as a teenager they started to make an appearance either as Cambria products or the Micro Mold /Rojair range of models or even as some of the plans that were published in RCM&E (Ian Peacock) for the Spitfire and ME109, and before them the Mini Sea Fury.

The size is handy for the car, launching and flying fun, and the fact that nowadays they make a good electric conversion or PSS model provide a lot of enjoyment. I certainly agree the P51 and FW190 were easy to build.

07/07/2019 19:11:13

Nice models. I had the P51 and FW190 from Cambria which were both I.c. One had a Enya 19 while the other was Irvine 20 powered. The Irvine was a good choice as the Enyaxlacked grunt. I am looking to get a Cambrian Spitfire for electric to see how it compares. It will be good to hear how your Spit performs.

Thread: Beth's off.....
05/07/2019 12:53:22

Congratulations to all of you - best start planning his model hangar. Enjoy family life even more now.

Thread: Wings and Wheels 2019
04/07/2019 13:18:42

Good point Cuban we have seen some massive changes over teh years and so finding the next new start turn is harder to come by. Some valid observations of those things that impacted at the time (and not necessarily physically impacting the ground or another model). Regarding the Pulse Jets, yes ever since I saw Jo Coolen (excuse if spelling is wrong) at Plumpton years ago. Most memorable knowledge aside form occassionaly scorching the grass was when one of his models was gliding in to land clipped the top of a tree and we watched as model continued in to land hardly affected, and top few feet of tree fell to the ground.

From a flying perspective it is hard as shows have upped the ante over the years with firsts that become commonplace. Think of the points Cuban made, also things like large scale models, large scale B29, electric powered B29 and Jetex X1, Dambusters Bouncing Bomb, Flying Lawnmowers etc.

Maybe the way would be to have a survey of modellers as to what they want to see at shows. Tricky as previously mentioned different type shows might have different slants on flying programme.

03/07/2019 13:21:29
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 02/07/2019 15:14:51:
Posted by Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 02/07/2019 13:16:56:
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 01/07/2019 16:19:23:

So what you see fly is what you can buy at the stalls behind you. As i have mentioned before (this same discussion last year) there is a problem here as people wont pay money to watch an acrowot fly. For a start it would be small at the safe distances we have to fly at and then if you wanted to see an acrowot you would just go to the local field and there will probably be one or something similar there. Its a balance and they are working on it.

Maybe not an Acrowot singular, but I'd pay good money to see 50 or 100 in the air at once! You could have a competition to see who actually lands after the carnage!

And who will finance said carnage? Its a great idea but you again rely on the pilots to supply and pay for their own models. Even a foamy acrowot is 100 odd quid and i wouldnt want to be throwing that away. Remember that each slot runs twice a day, so that could cost you £400 in foamies alone if you were unlucky.

Very valid point Jon, I remember the days when the Ripmax Team were flying Rapiers and can remember at both Sandown, Plumpton and Hastings show weekends a high attrition rate on models on the Saturday and some frantic searching for replacements to fulfil the Sunday show slots. IIRC the models were supplied (but still costly weekend for Ripmax). It can look great to have these slots but can be very costly be it to modeller(s) or manufacturer(s). Added to that the fact that a number of the pilots, manufacturers and their models support multiple shows it can be quite a challenge - especially if you have to repair or build replacement models!

Similarly, we as responsible people should consider how we want to promote our hobby/sport. Lots of crashes and mid-air collisions may look entertaining but does not necessarily promote model flying in a positive light to the public and authorities - especially in this day with the high visibility that social media provides. I am not sure if this helps boost show visitors or jaundices public opinios of model flying. I daresay there are others better positioned to have a view on this.

Thread: Local club attendance
03/07/2019 13:07:35

I think Doc's comment is true what we tend to see in flying clubs is not unique to our hobby but other hobbies and sports too, and I agree we all join for different reasons.

I currently belong to a club that has a membership of some 36 or so, and we probably get about 8 or so at the field on a Sunday (although a couple of small groups fly on a Saturday or mid-week), and about half the membership at the monthly club meeting

My previous club had its membership grow from about 70 to over 150 in the space of a few years. Despite its size and growth we regularly had about some 30 or so at club meetings and about 12-20 at the field on a Sunday morning, and about 10 for grass cutting duties. When doing any public displays we tended to have same faces as at the field on a Sunday.

At the end of the day a club only exists on the basis of a collective group of people that have a common interest. There will always be some that embody all that a club requires in terms of commitment and support, and there will always be some on the fringes for various reasons.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Addlestone Models
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us