By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dane Crosby

Here is a list of all the postings Dane Crosby has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Led light controller from dyna
30/08/2019 11:34:45

Hi, I have the later version of the Hurricane which comes with full comedy lighting.

I found on my system (Spektrum DX9 G2, AR9010) that the lights module couldn't find any switching mechanism; It just seems to get its power from the Rx.

I soldered the "controller" to a Veroboard circuit on which I separated the flashing signal from the steady signal.

I also soldered on an electronic switch as part of the steady light channel.

On the aircraft I changed the anti collision lights to bright red, plugged in to the flashing output from the controller.

I plugged the navigation lights into the steady output. I ripped out the silly red landing lights which were replaced with brilliant white 10mm LEDs. These I connected to my switched, steady circuit. This is also connected to the gear output from the RX. Now, the correct colour landing lights only illuminate when the gear is down.

The little Veroboard was made of a size to fit in the recess under the cockpit, above the rear wing entre section. All the Dynam warbirds are different so others may not have room for this board which is about 30mm by 20mm.

The only time consuming bit was to make the plethora of the Dynam wiring spaghetti fit neatly when attaching the wing.

The steady and flashing lights all operate as soon as the Rx is powered up. I haven't bothered to place another electronic switch to the Rx although that could have been added to the board.

Thread: Good luck to the BMFA
08/06/2019 16:08:05

My wife was standing near a stall at the Royal Cornwall show. A chap was talking to her about a multirotor he had bought previously for his little son. The first flight from their back garden in a housing estate resulted in a zoom climb then transit out of site never to be found again. It was a tiny machine. At the show he bought a DJI type of larger drone for his lad. Its larger so he could keep an eye on it. Wife told him that There were strict rules on where he could fly the thing and that he would need to register come October. He was rude and said the seller would have told him so she must be just making it up. Off he went home to fly it from his garden no doubt.

I doesn't matter how many of us register. It is those types that won't bother to register or learn about drone flying get us all in tarred with the same brush in the eye of the general public. Welcome to the anarchic brave new world.

08/06/2019 09:50:30

I just don't know what our politicians are thinking about. For the Baroness, whom incidentally totally flanned a formal letter sent to her by myself, to compare licensing model aircraft (sic "Drones" ) for safety and security threats to licensing fishing is crass. Is fishing a safety and security risk? Unlikely I suppose.

For decades there has been robust "interference with flight" laws which have severe penalties.  The alleged Drone attacks on Gatwick fall nicely under this umbrella. Thus, there is already a robust law to cover the issue. No knee jerk action is needed; just detection and prosecution. 

Now, Grayling wants to have sound checkers on roads to check for the "boy racers" on motorcycles and custom cars whom are deemed to be antisocial to the public. My other pastime is working on and running kit cars. There is already a robust law governing the noise output from a vehicle. These laws are in the SVA/IVA tests that modified cars are subject to. The car must stay below a required Db level at a certain RPM. Its all on the VOSA web site. I notice that this will not apply to the deafening noise from buses and trucks in town.

Again, the powers that be are trying to look active and important to some unaware members of the voting public by making what I call "Mirror Laws". Each MP must be made aware of how this is allowing senior politicians to start acting in the style of the old East German total control and oppression style of government.

Any wide boys won't care and will carry on without worrying about the deluge of legislation as with Drones, guns and fishing rods !!

Right, I'm off to do some beach casting. I hope you will all forgive me for being a safety and security risk !!

Edited By Dane Crosby on 08/06/2019 09:56:12

Thread: DX9 problems
27/02/2019 22:11:44

Hi. Was the DX9 a G2? Did it have a single antenna or the twin antennae?

I sometimes fly my sailplanes up to 350 metres away and so far have not had a range issue with my DX9.

I'd be interested to see if I'm pushing my luck !

Thread: Mini/micro lathe
14/02/2019 16:56:03

I am still using my ancient Unimat SL. It has no obvious wear and has many chucks, centres and attachments. Tools are readily available and I enjoy making small and tiny parts with it.

Sourcing drive belts can be a headache but there are ways around that.

Thread: Field mower question
14/02/2019 16:49:44

We have a second hand 48" cut rotary ride on. It cuts low enough for models with smallish wheels >1½" dia I guess.

Thread: Paxolin
14/02/2019 16:46:58
Posted by Stearman65 on 14/02/2019 16:22:35:
Posted by kevin b on 14/02/2019 12:12:10:

OOps, I saw this thread and mistakenly thought it was about scale covered mammals. face 20

I think that's a Pangolin?wink

I cannot imagine that the smell is particularly pleasant when cutting up a Pangolin.

Thread: Questions on LiPo maintenance/practice for an electric returnee
21/01/2019 19:55:17

Go to the 4Max web site. George has free downloads covering care and use of LiPos.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
14/12/2018 22:06:48

1543527994790.jpg

I last made a Swannee in 1966 with single channel McGregor kit plus escapement. All powered by a DC Merlin.

Just finished and maidened my Swannee II . Increased plan size by 26%. Its lecky powered and controlled by Spektrum AR7 Rx. It now has Ailerons, Elevators and Rudder plus Fowler flaps.

I know purists may not like what I have done but I was determined to relive my first RC aircraft in modern format. I havne't had time to add decoration and trim but that will happen soon now that I know it flies well.

1543070158163.jpg

T

Edited By Dane Crosby on 14/12/2018 22:08:50

Thread: Cliffwhacker
26/10/2018 12:58:59

Hi BP. The PP motor already arrives with the mount at the front.

I had rearranged the nose formers so that the prop spinner was where the original nose was. I rear mounted the previous two motors so had to re-engineer the PP to be rear mounted too. It is slightly longer so a new cowling was needed; about 5mm longer.

If in a hurry I band the prop. I use a spare switch on my tranny to use the Specky Throttle Cut option. Whatever I do with the throttle stick the motor won't run. I use this on all my leccy models to make wrestling with battery connection safer.

There are hundreds of ways to make cowlings and nose cones. I make a solid version out of block balsa. Sand, sanding seal then polyurethane varnish. When dry fix it in the bottom of a plastic cup, yogurt tub, margarine tub etc.

I fix it down with melted wax but vaseline will do. Wax the solid all over. Then fill the tub with plaster of Paris. After a cuppa the plaster is pulled out and you then have a mold which, when dry, I cover in release agent and use glass tissue and resin to make the very thin, but strong nose cone. I fix it with small self tappers.

Good fun.

25/10/2018 16:26:33

Hi BP

My Cliffwhacker is still flying. I found that 180w - 200 w was not enough for a fast climb to height.

I replaced the motor with one of over 400w. A vertical climb was the result which was fun for a while.

Six weeks ago I made another hand launch to be surprised by the motor and firewall departing the nose and hanging from one motor wire. Fortunately I was able to land the thing with no further damage. Clearly the motor was a bit too powerful for the airframe.

After rebuilding the nose I fitted a Purple power PO2834 1160 motor with an 11x6 folding prop. This gives about 230w. It now still climbs well and the performance is spot on. I'm still dabbling with the CG but very happy with the model. It catches lift well and has a good glide ratio.

As it copes with most normal windspeeds it is regularly flown. I can remove the prop and cowling and replace with a full grp nosecone for when I attend slopes with strict NO MOTOR rules.  Much fun !!

Edited By Dane Crosby on 25/10/2018 16:28:50

Thread: Dynam Hurricane
27/09/2018 09:47:57

I obtained mine a few weeks ago. I'm still assembling the beast.

I have shaved out the battery space which was not wide enough.

The throws and centreing on the control surfaces was all over the place.

The landing lights are red so changing them to white.

Re glued the canopy magnets They were loose with little glue.

Chucked the non scale exhausts. I'll make correct ones, with one or two stubs made out of lead to balance her if necessary.

The ESC was rattling about the fuselage. I have refitted it forward under the plastic grille, which hadn't been glued properly.

Otherwise, apart from painting a moustache on the pilot, it will be ready for flight test soon.

Thread: lead weghts
05/09/2018 10:12:48

I prefer to use flashing lead.Every builder and roofing firm regularly skips small offcuts. I cut them and weigh them.

The flat section is easy to fix with sticky pads.

I also melt and mould the lead to make streamlined weights for any externally fixed weights. The moulds are very easily made out of plaster of Paris.

An example is when I re-engined a motor glider with a more powerful motor. A small amount of weight was needed at the tail..

To avoid opening up the fuselage I fixed a streamlined weight in place of, and identical to, the tail skid.

Another source is a fishing shop. Their neat and marked lead weights are of different shapes and sizes.

The model shop weights are also fast and convenient to use.

Thread: Wing servo lead plugs and sockets?
30/08/2018 20:57:44

I have just completed my modern version of Swannee with ailerons and flaps.

Just before crimping normal servo connectors at the wing root I was lucky to discover that Purple Power / 4Max, are now supplying MaxLock connectors. They used to be called Ashlock.

They appear similar to normal servo crimp sockets and plugs and are from 6 to 12 way. The assembly is flat and has a locking latch. I have tested it out and all works nicely. I'll let you know how it all copes in the air after the maiden next Saturday.

The crimps outwardly look the same as normal servo connector crimps. They are totally opposite systems to each other. Normal servo crimps have a little square cut-out that engages with a tiny plastic tongue in the cover. The MaxLock crimps each have a small leaf spring that clicks into a slot in the cover. ( How did I find this out? Yup,I tried to use up my old servo lead crimps first. Had to cut them off and start again with the new type......Doh)

Thread: Government Consultation on Drone Flying in the UK.
23/08/2018 20:15:33

Thanks for the info BEB. Compiled and completed in one go. let us hope that they receive thousands of replies. We must all spread the word !

Thread: Is epoxy the same as mustard?
07/08/2018 12:38:59

Aha, possibly quantitative Sinapsis Alba paradox syndrome?

Thread: Looping Hercules
20/07/2018 21:11:08

Dave, it would be a smooth manoeuvre and you probably wouldn't notice !!

There was a story about Hercs being rolled and looped in the sixties. It was certainly strong enough and powerful enough to make these manoeuvres, but I don't recall any RAF Alberts being flown in this way.

It was a fine airframe to perform quite spirited displays in the 70s and early 80s.

Thread: What actually is Storage Mode ?
18/07/2018 20:01:43

See the 4Max Purple Power web site. There are some free comprehensive leaflets covering use and storage of LiPos.

Thread: Stripped thread bodge
13/07/2018 10:55:32

Hi, Maybe the high temp silicone sealer used to seal joints on wood stove chimneys? I have never tried this so cannot guarantee it would work. Good luck with it.

Thread: The 2018 Transmitter Survey!
09/04/2018 16:44:41
DX7s and now DX 9 G2.
60 hours on DX9 now with no snags. I like the voice telemetry. The latest firmware upgrade gives greater flexibility.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us