By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MAD Dave

Here is a list of all the postings MAD Dave has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What model should I acquire?
01/02/2014 19:38:48

Having just asked the question, I think I managed to provide the answer myself!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1122031&page=3

01/02/2014 19:29:11

Thank you everyone for your input. By a narrow margin I think I favour Ian Jones's Flying Aces Sportster from the Jan '99 RCM&E. Any recommendations as to how to go about acquiring the plan.........?

24/01/2014 23:07:20

Thank you for your 29 -> 30 correction Steve, I was wondering whether you would spot that one! Well done, take the rest of the day off.......

Thread: Request for assistance with model identification!
24/01/2014 10:56:33

Many thanks PatMc, much appreciated, I enjoy flying it but found it personally "annoying" I couldn't recall its origins. I am surprised the design goes as far back as '77, I had clearly been sitting on the plans for some time!

Thread: What model should I acquire?
24/01/2014 09:33:19

I recently purchased a SC-29 four-stroke for a building project but on firing up the motor realised power would be marginal. I have fitted a more appropriate motor for that model but am left with a nice little engine with no home to go to. Recommendations for a straight forward "sports" ARTF/kit/plan to take the SC-29 would be much appreciated. Re my own flying competency level, I am aiming to pass the "B" Cert. test in 2014. Thanks!

Thread: Request for assistance with model identification!
24/01/2014 00:30:50
I would be most grateful if a member could identify this model, photo below; 46 inch span. I built it around the late 80's, early 90's from plans either purchased from or free with a RCM&E/Radio Modeller; needless to add, with the passage of time, my original paperwork has been lost. It was my first foray with electric power, DC motor, home-made speed controller (from a kit) and powered by a small NiCad C-cell "brick-pack". On it's first outing ~'92, I flew it into a parked Vauxhall Cavalier, the NiCads gutting the fuselage in the process. I put it back together but never ventured out with it again - until last autumn when I rediscovered it in the darker corner of the loft. Dusting it down and, having recently returned-to-the-fold-post-children and retiring, it all seemed pretty intact so I set about updating the electrickery. I installed a 210W outrunner, 3S-3000mAh LiPo, appropriate speed controller, 2.4GHz gear and a few other updated bits and bobs plus a micro rudder servo & rudder (original did not have a rudder) and now have a most delightful aerobatic-ish model to fly and gain valuable "stick-time" with ease. Flight times to ~40% LiPo discharge are around 14 minutes; it is somewhat "slippery" in the aerodynamic sense and this is the only slight vice I have found, care being required on the landing approach to slow down.

The thing that really bugs me is that I have no idea who designed it, what it is called and when and where it was published - help!!! .......oh, and I kept on the original pair of DigiFleet FPS-20 servos, they're glitch-free and they give sterling service! All I had to do was change the plugs to something compatible with my Futaba Rx.

_dsc0297m.jpg
Thread: LiPo efficiency
31/03/2013 14:36:50

Thanks for the responses guys. My question may be academic and perhaps LiPo efficiency is something one doesn't actually need to worry about with the advent of "intelligent" chargers.
That said, what brought my question to life, was the desire to understand how much charge might remain in a LiPo post-flight. I have only recently started to dabble in electric flight courtesy of a Flyingwings Raven. I have been advised that to maximise the useful life of a LiPo, a battery should not be discharged below 20% capacity; anyone like to comment? I have three 3S 1300mAh batteries and have been slowly extending my flying time whilst monitoring post-flight charge magnitude to try and get an idea of "capacity used". As one might expect, I have observed a measure of variation between the performance of the packs but this may be down as much to the flight profile for each "trip" as regard any other variable. Without terrorising the skies, I have found 16 minutes powered airborne time may about right for 80%-ish indicated discharge; but I'm not sure.
I have been monitoring remaining charge post flight using a proprietary battery checker. I leave the battery to settle for about 30 minutes before checking. Whether this is the best procedure to follow, I don't know.
I also record the charge rate (I have standardised on 0.5A) and the elapsed time at which the charger turns off when it believes the battery to be "full". From this, it is simple to calculate the mAh put back in expressed as a percentage of capacity.
The slight issue I have is that the mAh charge added to the declared residual percentage rarely sums to 100%; surprise, surprise maybe! As noted above I have three 1.3mAh batteries but they are of differing manufacturers (badges?).
I would like to gain a better understanding of the variables and errors hence my original question!
I have monitored the battery set over three outings and found residual charge summed with subsequent replaced charge (as a capacity percentage) to be as follows for each battery.....
Turnigy - 102, 100, 109. (Purchased three months ago)
RFI - 95, 91, 95. (~ one year old)
Overlander - 98, 95, 100. (Purchased two months ago)
The first two figures for each relate to 15 minutes flight times on my Tx timer and the latter figures, 16 minutes. My sop has been to land pdq post the timer bleeps.
I would agree I don't seem to have much to worry about but I just got to thinking about LiPo efficiency and wondered whether there was a working figure out there......
28/03/2013 23:55:09

I have to admit that I am unaware of any process that is 100% efficient!

28/03/2013 22:59:10

Can someone please advise me of LiPo efficiency regarding charge out versus charge in. I recall in the days of DEAC NiCd cells a figure of a little over 70% was used when the batteries were charged at the 10hr rate. I am aware that there are many variables to consider but if there is a "Rule of thumb"out there, I would be delighted to hear of it.

Thread: Saab Viggen plans search
03/02/2013 22:09:18

Hi Chris,

Looking at the fine print...... "Styled after the Swedish jet fighter, this model is constructed in "traditional" ducted fan style." Bit sneaky wording, ducting fan style.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Watch this space!

Cheers,

Dave.

01/02/2013 16:17:28

Thanks for that. Had a look at the suppliers web site but it is listed under C/L and the brief description does not refer to R/C though the plan number is prefixed with RC! Unfortunately £22:50 is a lot to shell out on a whim etc.

31/01/2013 21:37:13

Does anyone know of a plan for a ducted fan Viggen please? I am looking for something suitable for EDF.

Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!