By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Stainforth

Here is a list of all the postings John Stainforth has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Prop failure
13/08/2019 23:49:26

Wow! Loyal customer gets slapped down!

Thread: Silicon fuel tube rotting?
07/08/2019 12:37:45

I leave some of my models for three month periods in cupboards with essentially no daylight. Yet I often have problems with tanks and rotted fuel tubing. I suspect the main culprit is the nitromethane in any residual fuel in the tanks and tubing. Nitromethane is a very aggressive chemical and the resistance of neoprene and silicon rubbers to it is poor. I looked this up on the web a short while ago and was interested to see that nitromethane is also cited as an excellent solvent of cyanoacrylate adhesives! (And it is also reckoned now to be more explosive than TNT!)

I should add that I like fairly high nitro fuels (typically 12 to 15%) for most of my engines. 

Edited By John Stainforth on 07/08/2019 12:39:00

Thread: Prop failure
06/08/2019 11:33:06

One sure-fire way to prevent propellor failure on four-stroke V engines would be for the manufacturer to take those engines out of production.

Thread: Steel ruler
04/08/2019 00:15:31

To check whether a straight edge is straight, just look down it. The eye is as good as a laser beam for judging that.

Thread: RCM&E September Issue.
03/08/2019 13:04:27

Let's hope the latest issue just fell through the editorial cracks with the change of editorship. It gives the impression of not really having been edited at all!

Thread: Problem with air in fuel line. Pulse xt40
31/07/2019 22:37:49

I have found that when I leave models for several months without flying, that were 100% fine before the hiatus, failures of the radio and tank system are very common when I return to the models. Neoprene and copper tubing, tends to deteriorate and crack, as do rubber bungs, and tanks do crack. I have quite a large pile of useless old tanks in the US and UK that have failed in these various ways. One thing I have learnt is to fill up fuel tanks very gently on the first fill of the day, since vigorous filling builds up pressure in the tank that can force out deteriorated bungs. Also: always fill up the first tank (at least) of the day with the canopy off so that one can spot a leak at the earliest opportunity - rather than suddenly seeing fuel poring out through the bottom of the fuselage!

Thread: OS threads
29/07/2019 23:49:33

So, Foxfan, you're a bit of a naturist, are you!?

Thread: The demise of. ASP/SC
05/07/2019 12:08:57

Why are so many people on this website cheering on the demise of i.c. model engines? I've always regarded them as one of the cornerstones of our hobby. (I.C. engines got me into the hobby almost 60 years ago.)

The prejudice against i.c. is not quite as great in the US as the UK. But world-wide, the hobby is in big trouble. The ARFs are rapidly disappearing, the manufacturers and importers are closing shop, and soon there will be nothing to hang i.c. motors on.

Thread: ASP etc gone
27/06/2019 19:28:43

Peter, many of the OS engines are available, e.g., 46AX $147 (US) and 132 pounds (UK); OS55AX $170 (US) and 147 pounds (UK). Are these outrageous prices? I think not. For comparison the PAW 49 is currently selling in the UK at 195 pounds, so I am not sure why PAW should be rubbing their hands in glee.

Thread: Charging rx packs
21/06/2019 19:37:15

I charge my 2000 mAh receiver batteries on overnight night chargers between 50 to 110 mA (which is only 0.025 to 0.06C is it not?) with never a problem - and the batteries last for years.

Thread: Slowing down (a sports-aero) on landings - flaperons or spoilerons?
06/06/2019 16:03:11

Jon,

I meant a flattish approach. Of course, on finals, full-size planes are descending at something like 5 degrees, but with the nose noticeably up relative to the horizontal. Relative to the flight line, the angle (of attack) must be 5+ degrees.

I totally agree with your comments about the use of rudder. Incidentally, use of rudder is always taught in US clubs from the get-go. This is because the normal practice there is to land straight down the runway regardless of wind direction. You just can't do that properly (i.e., keeping the wings level) without the rudder.

06/06/2019 14:29:42

Basic landing technique remains a topic of continual discussion. When I was learning to fly models, the creed was to "keep the nose" down, but as I became more experienced I tended to use a flatter approach with more power and a higher angle of attack, as described so well by Martin. This is how all full size aircraft land. Mind you, birds who know something about flying, tend to use the steep, high speed approach, only flaring - to an extreme degree - at the last second!

Thread: Chicken hoppers and fuel head issues
06/06/2019 14:19:32

We had this discussion about a year ago. I found that the chicken hopper system, illustrated very nicely by Steve Dunne above (and in the earlier discussion), is an elegant solution to problem of the position of Laser carburettors in some aircraft installations. This has to be a way more satisfactory solution than hacking away at the airframe. A well designed model does not have too much structural redundancy in the vicinity of the engine box and firewall.

Thread: Revolver 46 with Saito FG 14
17/05/2019 13:09:16

Are you using a plastic engine mount? I found that those are not really adequate for the Saito 82 and resulted in a lot of vibration. The Saito metal mounts are good, but the add yet more weight, and you already have a rather heavy engine for a Revolver 46 - which was more or less designed for the OS55AX.

Thread: Suitable caption?
14/05/2019 10:37:56

Where's the aileron differential?!

Thread: CAA registration consulation
28/04/2019 00:47:00

These regulations are following the USA with a typical time lag.

Any model in the US weighing more than 0.55 pounds has to be registered with the FAA and is regarded as a "drone".

The biggest difference with the US is the cost. Registration with the FAA costs $5 for three years!

Thread: saito 82b consumption
02/04/2019 03:50:08

Saito engines are very economical once properly tuned, but they drink fuel before then. The factory setting of the low-speed needle is very rich. Usually it takes about an hour of running or a gallon of fuel to get a Saito running right.

Thread: NEW POLL - Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?
22/03/2019 10:25:02

David,

I am a little bit amazed that you are not too fond of safety officers - particularly given your position of influence.

John

Thread: Saito r33
17/03/2019 12:39:12

You could try Horizon Hobby, the distributors in the US in Champagne Illinois. They have provided me with excellent service of Saito engines on several occasions.

Thread: Weston or Wings & Wheels
17/03/2019 12:35:03

I go to both but prefer Weston - for all the reasons Whittaker gives in his latest review.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us