By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Stainforth

Here is a list of all the postings John Stainforth has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: UK supplier of balsa in METRIC thicknesses?
11/02/2019 10:01:52

I think there are two issues here - the convention to which the wood is cut, and then the tolerance of the cutting.

Thread: How can I reverse a plan to build two wing halves
09/02/2019 12:59:58

Distortions caused by copiers are usually a result not of machine imprecision but of incorrect printer settings. One way to check for distortions is to draw a large circle on the plan with compasses, before copying, including marking the centre of the circle. It is then pretty obvious to the eye whether that is distorted or not after copying. Then one can draw another circle on the copy to see what correction factors have to be applied to the printer.

Thread: Drilling ply/balsa
04/02/2019 11:35:28

As a complete aside, I'm wondering what a 1/4" balsa, 1/4" ply, 1/4" balsa sandwich is being used for. The other way round would be much stronger, and then you could go perhaps go with thinner ply - like the full-size Mosquito monocoque fuselage, which was 1/16" ply 3/8" balsa 1/16" ply.

04/02/2019 04:13:23

It depends on the quality of the balsa and ply etc. Best to make a dummy out of scrap and try it various ways.

Thread: World Gone Mad..........
21/01/2019 22:01:58

Philip won't be sorry to see that smashed mirror go, because sorry is no longer in his vocabulary.

21/01/2019 21:55:03

We should not tar the whole world with the same brush, just because we've gone half mad.

Thread: New Drone/Aerodrome Regulations - Is your club at risk?
20/01/2019 19:49:10
Posted by Steve J on 20/01/2019 12:07:22:
Posted by John Stainforth on 20/01/2019 12:04:22:

I, for one, am for the new regulations.

I, for one, think that they are completely pointless and are simply the government pandering to BALPA.

Steve

Oh! Shock! Horror! That we pilots of little model planes should pander to the wishes of professional pilots of full-size planes who have daily responsible for thousands of peoples lives!

20/01/2019 12:04:22

I, for one, am for the new regulations.

Thread: Seagull Mosquito Laser build
18/01/2019 00:45:42

...so for a 1/8th scale Mossie (with wingspan around 80 or 81" the spinners should be about/at least 4" or 10 cm in diameter.

Edited By John Stainforth on 18/01/2019 00:46:59

17/01/2019 21:56:51

I pulled up a blueprint from the internet and approximately scaling suggests the spinner diameter of the fullsize is about 33"!

Thread: Controls reversed when copying.
16/01/2019 16:23:39

There seems to be some disagreeing here for the sake of disagreeing, when all I see in the above discussion is agreement that there is no single convention: that the manufacturers set their gear to a more or less arbitrary conventions, which they call "normal", so that whenever we place servos in ways that do not comply with these we have to set "reverse" in our TX's.

16/01/2019 12:20:47

I think the radio manufacturers set up their gear so that a "normal" servo setting corresponds to (what they regard) is a "normal" mounting orientation of the servo. When we mount a servo in the opposite direction we then have to set "reverse" on our TX's. So the manufacturers regard this as an idiosyncrasy of a particular model/servo set up and not something worth copying to another model, which may have the servos mounted in the conventional orientations.

Thread: ASP 61FS Just Stopped !!
12/01/2019 11:22:20

Jon,

Thanks for info.

12/01/2019 00:09:13

Is it possible that the engine has been forcibly turned over when it has been hydraulically locked? That might lead to such fatigue.

Jon, could a high nitromethane content really lead to that kind of fatigue?

Thread: Cheap(ish) OS 55ax
11/01/2019 20:13:26

That's relatively very cheap. I wonder how they can sell them at such a mark down.

Thread: Laminating
10/01/2019 18:51:37

I would use aliphatic. Epoxy would be overkill and CA might not work on the ply at all.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
07/01/2019 18:31:10

Jon,

Rest assured I have not done this yet and I should have put a big emphasis on the *might* at the start of my first sentence. At the moment I have a several engines, which have been in other planes, that are awaiting new homes (airframes), and I have no immediate intention of adding to the collection. I posted this comment partly as a provocation to Laser Engines, and you have swallowed the bait!

But it is a bit of a grey area! Any customer is perfectly entitled to use or not use anything he/she buys. Most of us have some possessions that are surplus to requirement, and there are certainly people who collect things for the sake of it, such as vintage cars. Also most of our model planes and engines spend the vast majority of their lives lying idle.

(Do I hear the distant sound of lathes starting up?!)

Edited By John Stainforth on 07/01/2019 18:36:21

07/01/2019 17:29:03

Chris, not yet, but I might just stockpile these for posterity and to counter the leccy revolution. Only (half) joking!

07/01/2019 09:05:17

Jon thanks for the info. I eagerly await such notice in the fullness of time.

06/01/2019 23:53:41

Er, Jon...

(clears throat)

... when are Laser V twins going to be back in production?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Revoc
CML
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us