By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for GrahamWh

Here is a list of all the postings GrahamWh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bristol Scout 1:6 by David Hurrell
19/07/2014 10:56:26

Thanks David. Still considering Dave Hurrell's one too, but I am having trouble finding back orders before 2013 for rcmw online. Do you guys know how to get a copy of the March 1985 one? Thanks.

18/07/2014 22:45:42

Thank you Jeff - ordered a copy of the mag.

I'll hold off from that Stevo, but thank you for the offer - unless he knows if there was a build article and where I could find it. The traplet site does not mention back issues as far as I have been able to see.

18/07/2014 21:27:44

Thank you gents - some good sounding advice in there. Would there also have been a build bog on the RM161 Bristol Scout?

Thread: Another workshop / garage / man cave thread
17/07/2014 20:49:49

Going to be great Steve! I love building. Flat roof or pitched?

16/07/2014 18:29:55

Obviously not a very popular model this one!

Has any one got any experience of other Bristol Scout biplanes between 40 inch and 70 inch wingspan they could give comment on? One concern I have after speaking with someone who knows a bit about aircraft design is the small fin which may make it unstable in side slip when rolling due to the large solid wheels. Any comments anyone?

Thanks, Graham.

Edited By GrahamWh on 16/07/2014 18:30:58

Thread: DB 1/8" Scale Sopwith Pup E Build
13/07/2014 13:45:38

Looks very good indeed Tim. How much weight have you had to put in the nose to balance it, and what's the all up weight?

Look forward to some flying shots!

12/07/2014 21:22:22

Has anyone built this model from plans? I am thinking of building it with my son but want to know if they turn out okay. They are from the Traplet store here with a wingspan of 49 inches:

**LINK**

Thanks,

Graham

Thread: Weston Park 2014 chat
06/07/2014 22:43:50

That's a good idea I think Colin.

I went this year for the first time with my 10 year old son and my brother. The highlight for me as far as the models went was the Dawn Patrol flights - though the full size glider in the dark with the fireworks was great.

However - one thing not scale with all the Dawn Patrol flights, every aircraft.

No smoke. None at all. Not that I could see from the crowd anyway. I was really surprised. I guess its the reliable, fuel economic petrol engines they have to use. But how about a little smoke oil injection in the exhaust to compensate or a bit of extra oil (even caster for that lovely smell) in the petrol/oil mix? Lovely planes though. It would be nice if they had a few WWI bombers too - but I guess their rule of just modelling famous actual aircraft or those of aces would rule this out. Shame really as a couple of really large bombers slugging around would really enhance the spectacle.

Edited By GrahamWh on 06/07/2014 22:50:07

Edited By GrahamWh on 06/07/2014 22:51:00

Thread: OS 70 four stroke
06/07/2014 21:35:21

Tony I have an old OS 70FS and a new ASP FS70. I find that 13x6 is okay but it's easier to slow my biplane down with a 14x5 which I prefer. But it seems to be very hard to find a GRP 14x5 so I am using Turnigy Cherry wood 14x5's from Hobby King and they are a bit light. If you can get a GRP 14x5 I think that would be the best choice if you're flying a slow plane. Does any one know where one can buy a GRP 14x5?

The tappet setting for the os fs70 surpass is between 0.04 and 0.1 mm according to the manual for both inlet and exhaust valves.

If you pm me your email address I can send you a copy of the original OS 70FS manual I downloaded from somewhere on th'web.

Thread: Barnstormer 72 build by Andy Green
11/05/2014 21:13:11

Very interesting colour scheme Andy. I am thinking of building an Aircamper from the Traplet plans which is a similar looking craft and might have a go with some transparent colour film (again!). Very neat work. What colour will the leds be?

Thread: Lipo in a crash. Can I use it?
05/05/2014 11:17:25

Corner crushed - sounds as though the layers of stuff inside will have been damaged. Sorry mate but I agree that's a disposal job. I would not hesitate to use it again if undamaged, but that sounds bad. A picture is always easier to make a judgement on though.

Thread: Flair Puppeteer
04/05/2014 19:57:45

How is the build going Dean?

Thread: My new shed
03/05/2014 09:34:18

WF - looks great. As regards security you can get small shed alarms. Often the noise and fear of being seen will move them off if they have a go at it.

Thread: New four stroke - valves hissing
02/05/2014 19:35:02

Just Engines supply a set of well written instructions of their own for running in rather than whatever ASP would provide, which basically consist of four sets of 15 minute runs, with alternating leaner and richer periods at various throttle settings. They seen pretty good and sensible.

Thread: Motor tightning?
02/05/2014 16:20:46

I still get the side effect although I've never used brakes. It's just the way it is with some escs, and nothing to worry about. The braking effect comes off when the battery is reconnected and the esc is able to think correctly.

02/05/2014 09:19:58

Jo I have found this with most of my electric set ups - and I never use the brake function. Effectively I think the esc is using the residual charge in the capacitors and braking even though when it can think properly (when powered to the lipo) it knows it shouldn't be braking.

I was puzzled by this at first, but if you disconnect the wires from the esc to the motor (if you can get at them) the braking effect disappears instantly. It is the esc not a fault with the motor.

Edited By GrahamWh on 02/05/2014 09:21:11

Thread: New four stroke - valves hissing
02/05/2014 09:06:30

Thank you Martin. Very interesting!

Thread: OS120 fs issues
01/05/2014 21:43:54

Could it be suffering from pre-ignition? Try a 5% fuel just to see? That's my thought from your starting problem.

Edited By GrahamWh on 01/05/2014 21:46:15

Thread: new design ( i blame tim hooper for this)
01/05/2014 21:38:02

It would look a bit like a De Havilland Vampire with the wings at shoulder position.

01/05/2014 17:11:13

Tony, how about putting the wing at the middle of the fuse (shoulder wing position) rather than the bottom? It looks like the tail wing/elevator will not have enough authority (leverage) at that short distance to overcome the nose-down torque from the drag of the main wing while in the low wing position. I think it will look much neater too and will in fact look proper racey. I wouldn't consign it to the bin after all that work.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!